81 stam or 4% block?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: 81 stam or 4% block?

Postby Digren » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:43 am

Invisusira wrote:Not to be an asshole, but if you're in Ulduar you have no business using either Lavanthor's Talisman or Sonic Booster.

I used the Sonic Booster into Ulduar because I never saw Thaddius' trinket drop, and it was the only one worth switching away from two stamina trinkets pre Ulduar, and besides Essence of Gossamer the Sonic Booster was the next best stamina trinket.

I replaced both with Ignis trinkets, of course, but given that there are no WotLK epic stamina trinkets pre-Ulduar, and the best non-epic is a drop that I know some people have very poor luck with, it's too harsh to scold someone for using the second-best readily-available option.
Digren

Postby Arnock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:54 am

Invisusira wrote:Not to be an asshole, but if you're in Ulduar you have no business using either Lavanthor's Talisman or Sonic Booster.

Haven't spent much time in heroics after I stopped needing gear for there, so I never got around to buying the valor medal.

The sonic booster would only be used until I have the badges for valor.

And, unfortunately, Like I mentioned above, I'm not in the best guild atm, and we've only really got FL, XT, Razor, kolo, and auriya on farm.

EDIT: Also, will probably be farming like crazy for http://ptr.wowhead.com/?item=47216 from the new 5 man on normal once it's released
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:14 am

Invisusira wrote:You don't want dual stam trinkets then. Use a proper trinket until you can get a second stam trinket that's up to snuff.

Eh, I don't know. I usually use the Furnace Stone and Essence of Gossamer. There are sometimes situations where the 81 stamina seems more useful than the dodge/armor off Furnace Stone, but not many. Typically I lean away from dual Stamina trinkets, but for someone with my kind of luck and professions there are only so many options if you do need to just purely stack stamina. The Sonic Booster is arguably better than Levanthor's Talisman for the OP, but that really depends a lot on what other trinkets he has access to.
Corpsicle

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:59 am

I'm tanking Ulduar (including XT Hardmode attempts) with Seal of the Pntheon (the blue defense trinket).

If other trinkets haven't dropped, then other trinkets haven't dropped. I'm using the Emblem of Heroism shield and the UP hc sword because other people have ninja'd or won fairly upgrades for me. I'm at a point where I've upgraded some T7.5 to better, but am still running around with iLevel 200 items. And you know something? It hasn't stopped me maintanking all the Watchers.
badgermonkey

Postby Braundo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:41 pm

badgermonkey wrote:If other trinkets haven't dropped, then other trinkets haven't dropped. I'm using the Emblem of Heroism shield and the UP hc sword because other people have ninja'd or won fairly upgrades for me. I'm at a point where I've upgraded some T7.5 to better, but am still running around with iLevel 200 items. And you know something? It hasn't stopped me maintanking all the Watchers.

Same here. I'm rocking the Patchwerk 10-man shoulders (though they are very well itemized) and the Heroic CoS shield, but I seem to be doing just fine ;)
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm

badgermonkey wrote:

I'm tanking Ulduar (including XT Hardmode attempts) with Seal of the Pntheon (the blue defense trinket).

And you'll notice that I didn't include that trinket in my list.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to tank harder instances with sub-par or sub-optimal gear. You just need your healers to carry you a bit.
Invisusira

Postby credible » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Arnock wrote:Unfortunately, we have yet to down ignis. And, at the moment anyway, due to numbers we are sorta limited to 10man

Hiya,considering your luck,there are worse choices then sonic booster,now so far as Ingis goes,do you have decent healers and half decent dps:)

If so,tank him to the left in the pool of water,have melee behind him,ranged and healers behind them and the ot behind them,closer to the other water....don't move him at all and you will not have to worry about the scorch and moving him all around,just worry about the spell lockout:)

I know he hits harder of course,but I don't have a heck of alot better gear then you do,worth a try anyways:)

Also,if you happen to have a tankadin as an ot,have him use seal of justice while grabbing the adds,helps healers alot:)

Good luck to you
credible

Postby glorfindell » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:50 pm

Dread wrote:
glorfindell wrote:Remember that you can easily down Flame Leviathan 25 with 8 people, and the tanking loot that drops there is top notch. I wish I had known this earlier, since we also on have enough people to do more than 10 man, and never did FL 25 until a couple of weeks ago. :(

You might want to be careful about this. Blizzard has been ban happy lately with anyone doing FL with much fewer than 25 people. They feel that the encounter is then being exploited. They don't usually give a permanent ban for this on the first offense, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

I don't see anything that would warrant a ban. Going in with 4 Demolishers and keeping the Pyrite stacks at 10 hardly seems and exploit.
glorfindell

Postby Arnock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Dread wrote:
glorfindell wrote:Remember that you can easily down Flame Leviathan 25 with 8 people, and the tanking loot that drops there is top notch. I wish I had known this earlier, since we also on have enough people to do more than 10 man, and never did FL 25 until a couple of weeks ago. :(

You might want to be careful about this. Blizzard has been ban happy lately with anyone doing FL with much fewer than 25 people. They feel that the encounter is then being exploited. They don't usually give a permanent ban for this on the first offense, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

idk about this, couple of my guildies regularly 5 man him on 10m for gear and badges, and they haven't had any word from blizz.
Arnock

Postby PsiVen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:31 am

Often I would rather wear a Sonic Booster than any non-stam trinket. As a non-JC/Eng I wore Commendation with my EoG several times before Ulduar trinkets.

The Valor medal is probably a decent investment as the badges are easy to come by anyway. But at your progression level most of the time you will probably just be concerned with EH. Certainly don't bother keeping the block trinket in your bags.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Arnock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:38 pm

So the valor medal would be better than the sonic booster, correct?
Arnock

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:34 am

The Valor Medal is a trinket with passive avoidance and on use Avoidance. The Sonic Booster is a trinket with passive effective health and a threat proc. Depending on what you need, either one is good. I've used the Sonic Booster + Essence of Gossamer combo when trying to meet a certain effective health threshold, ie live through a specific number of hits in a row or live through a large hit of specific size. I've also used the Valor Medal + Essence combo when I want the extra weak cooldown from the trinket or when I am stacking avoidance.

Of course, the new five man instance has a 122 stamina epic tank trinket on either normal or heroic mode, according to mmo-champion. As soon as I can pick up that, I'll be retirining my Sonic Booster permanently.
Corpsicle

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations