Remove Advertisements

[10] Yogg-Saron Phase II

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Yogg-Saron Phase II

Postby JRichland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am

Hello,

My guild is stuck on phase 2. I'm the raid leader, and as a tank my job is to stay up top when the portals open. Since I have to stay up top, I do not have the benefit of watching the dps failing in the vision room/brain room so I can't properly advise and evaluate. All I know is that they go in the portal, and they come out insane 60 seconds later.

I've long since accepted that one of the qualifications for being DPS is to be partially (or perhaps even fully) retarded, so I'm used to hearing the myriad excuses they come up with (my personal favorite is "I can't find the portal in...")

Now, can someone explain to me EXACTLY how going in that brain room is supposed to work? My understanding is as follows, I'd appreciate some corrections so I can fully grasp it:

1) Ports open, four dps go in and enter a room that is a vision of azeroth's past.
2) Within this room there are a total of nine mobs that are disguised as neutral npcs.
3) Additionally, there are skulls that cannot be looked at directly or they will fear you and deal significant shadow damage.
4) The purpose of entering these portals is to break the shield protecting the brain of Y-S so that damage can be dealt to it and it can lead to phase 3.
5) When entering the vision room, the dps is required to kill ALL NINE mobs before the vision is broken and the dps can enter the brain room and deal damage to the brain. (this is somewhat reminiscent of the Herald in Old Kingdom)
6) Once entering the brain room, there is a limited amount of time whereas the DPS must exit the brain room via a portal(?) in order to prevent insanity.
7) This process is aided by having a dps who can also heal occasionally as damaging the mobs also deals damage back to the attacker, additionally the skull damage is a possibility best planned for.

Is all the above accurate?

We've never even managed to break the mind shield protecting the brain. This is especially frustrating considering we one-shot every other boss in the instance in each of the past two weeks.
JRichland

Re: [10] Yogg-Saron Phase II

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:06 am

One issue we've had is that the freaking npcs have a very low draw distance so they can be harder to spot. Once they're in tentacle form they're much easier to see. Most of our dps were missing the first npc/tentacles simply because they were hard to spot AND they seemed to load up slowly. You may not be able to enter the brain room yet because you've missed killing one of the npcs.

So long as the dps are topped up before they go into the vision, they won't need heals, unless they're stupidly facing the skulls. This is their own fault.

Personally, I go into the brain room to observe what's going on and chuck some heals around, and it's always the people facing the skulls that need the heals.

It takes a while to come to grasps with the various rooms and to know the spawn points, so maybe getting some visuals for your dps may help them before they go in.

They may be coming out insane because they're not watching the Insanity cast bar. They need to haul ass by the time it reaches 5 seconds count down.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby JRichland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 am

Well, they seem to not know how to exit either.

Is it a portal from the brain room? Is there a way to escape if you do not kill all the NPCs?
JRichland

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:43 am

Yes, it is in the brain room. If you do not kill all the NPCs by the time he mind controls, you are doing something DRASTICALLY wrong. That's the time you need to be DPSing the brain - or else you will never leave phase 2.
Invisusira

Postby JRichland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:47 am

I did say my dps was developmentally challenged, right?

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll pass on the information to my lovable morons. Perhaps I'll even start taking the port myself and tossing up some heals.
JRichland

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:49 am

If you do this, make sure you exit the brain before it reaches 30% health, otherwise you'll have some issues trying to pick up the adds that spawn in P3 since you might be a couple seconds late. You want to make sure you're outside before P3 starts.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Splug » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:15 am

Looking at the skulls causes some minor sanity loss, and some shadow damage. The longer you look at them, the more you lose.

The NPC's are always in the same place in each vision. I've also heard there are actually 10 tentacles. You should make sure each of the dps knows which part of the room they are responsible for; phase II is entirely controlled by the portal crew. You may find it easier to run 3 damage, 1 healer - really, they spend more of their time running from place to place than actually hitting things.

When all the influence tentacles die, the path to the brain room opens and all the tentacles freeze upstairs - they stop casting, attacking, and spawning, letting the guys up top get caught up. The vision clear time not only effects how long you spend in phase II, but how easy the guys upstairs have it. A coordinated portal team can sweep the room (on 10-man) in 10 seconds or less consistently. It may be slightly longer on 25.

The hardest part is actually making sure they all get into the portals quickly. Watch to see if one of them gets squeezed by a constrictor; hand of protection will get them moving again faster than killing it. They need to be ready for the portals to appear and in position beforehand.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby JRichland » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks again for the help guys, this really is the best class site on the interwebz.

I'll update you all when we clear it. I hope this is a help to others as well.
JRichland

Postby Smite-Turalyon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 am

JRichland wrote:Thanks again for the help guys, this really is the best class site on the interwebz.

Dont know if it helps you but we only send 3 into the portal room. When we've cleared the tentacles and move into the brain room, we have each person stand next/near to the portal they are going to take out kind of in a triangle around Yogg's brain. Our first attempt or two with a couple people trying to take the same portal led to issues.

They also need to make sure they head out with enough time (generally am clicking with 2-3seconds left).

Expect a bit of a learning curve as the dps'ers learn each room and where the spawns are. The skulls are different each time IIRC but the spawn locations of the tentacles are always the same.
Smite-Turalyon

Postby kanst » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 am

Having everything assigned is key, the tentacles have like 5k health, so if people are trying to all dps the same one and move from tentacle to tentacle it is going to take all day. Before the fight we assign each dps a portal position to go in, that way people dont miss their portal, as well as a side of the room they are responsible for. That way each dps knows exactly where to go and what they are responsible for killing.
kanst

Postby Belloc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:30 pm

Smite-Turalyon wrote:
JRichland wrote:Thanks again for the help guys, this really is the best class site on the interwebz.

Dont know if it helps you but we only send 3 into the portal room. When we've cleared the tentacles and move into the brain room, we have each person stand next/near to the portal they are going to take out kind of in a triangle around Yogg's brain. Our first attempt or two with a couple people trying to take the same portal led to issues.

They also need to make sure they head out with enough time (generally am clicking with 2-3seconds left).

Expect a bit of a learning curve as the dps'ers learn each room and where the spawns are. The skulls are different each time IIRC but the spawn locations of the tentacles are always the same.

I don't really think that's much of a help. The only reason you would ever need to send 3 in is if you need the extra DPS outside. If that's the case, your outside DPS are not fit for this fight. Sending 3 in means that those 3 players are going to take the extra damage that a 4th player would soak, greatly increasing the chances of a self-kill. It also extends the duration of phase 2, which is the phase you want to be the shortest.

There are 4 portals for a reason -- use them.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:41 pm

The faster the portalgroup is, the easier the tentacle group will have it.
Sending down 3 and keeping 7ppl up is just useless. Eather send down 4 and reach the brain faster, or send down 3 and a healer if they are having problems staying alive, i ofthen go down as prot if someone is dead or wont make the portal, Protpallys are awesome down there actually, not like FoK rogues or WW warriors but still you do help out.
I dont know of this issue with ppl clicking portals at the same time, its an issue when going down since portals disapear when used, but when going up from the braindroom they dont despawn, and in 25man we have 10ppl going for the same portal starting to click it with 5sec left, and ppl make it out in time. Is there even a behind of the boss? aka no dodges or so or backstabb or whatever ferals have that is the same? Yogg has a front and behind, not sure if he can dodge or parry tho. ive only assumed it cant dodge or parry at all.
Treck

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:50 pm

Treck wrote:LENS FLARE!
LAYER EFFECTS!

MY EYES
Invisusira

Postby Sober » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:51 am

There are 4 portals that spawn around yogg in these positions: front left/right and back left/right. If your DPS is good enough, for +4 you can send 3 down, but if it is a 1-light group (even 3 or 2), you need to make use of all 4 portals.

Assign everyone a specific portal, and have the left-of-yogg portal takers go around the left side of the illusion on those tentacles, right respectively. Good to have a ret pally/enh shaman for dps/topping people off. JoL is a lifesaver on the brain to help people get topped off before exiting the brain room. A shaman outside can blow BL for the brain room people as long as they are right below them (on the minimap). If you need BL up top (if you BL down below pretty sure the brain room people don't get it, however) to catch up (e.g. Crusher and 3+ Corruptors up), use it.
Sober

Postby Treck » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Invisusira wrote:
Treck wrote:LENS FLARE!
LAYER EFFECTS!

MY EYES

Your cat is awesome aswell.
Treck

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon