Remove Advertisements

[10] Algalon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Algalon

Postby Seloei » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:50 am

Even the unimproved CoW is better than a "unreliable" warrior shout due. If he forgets to update it before he runs to the portal and it falls off you can get twated fast because it takes off a fairly large chunk of damage. CoW however lasts for 2 minutes which he can apply each time he runs towards the big bang or back out of it.

Quite sure unimproved CoW had +100 ap more reduced that the unimproved warrior/druid one.
Seloei

Postby Nadir » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 pm

Nadir wrote:For this week's attempt I had a Druid, Shaman, and Holy Paladin healer. Getting my shit pushed in was the primary cause of raid wipes.

Are my healers just not on the ball? Am I doing something wrong? I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who has gotten past the second Big Bang.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-joelE ... OA/fights/

Three weeks later. Got my first Algalon 10 kill on the 3rd attempt of this week's lockout. It seems that the problem with my previous attempts was healing. Switched out the Shaman and Holy Paladin for a Disc and Holy Priest. Night and day... :(

Although, I suppose the damage nerf helped as well. We weren't making use of Demo Shout / CoW stacking in the previous attempts.
Nadir

Postby Joanadark » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:48 am

I suspect the problem wasn't so much the classes you had healing you, as that your shaman was trying to do too much raid healing. only one healer should be raid healing ever. Both the remaining healers need to do nothing except spam the tank. If the difference was so dramatic going from a Shaman to a Disc priest it most likely means the shaman wasn't consistantly keeping Inspiration up on you. Disc priests always will because they heal with a single target rotation and can't really be tempted to randomly chain heal other people.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Threatco » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:30 pm

After many delays. The despawn soft reset glitch, a long weekend of our druid healer being out. We are finaly going to attempt him.

Warlock with imp CoW. Check.
Druid raid healer who is super pro. Check.
2 priest tank healers. Check
Me prot tank and DK tank.
Hunter for collapsing stars.
Fury warrior/Feral druid/ret pal

We all know the fight like the back of our hands (for not having done it). We are hoping we can get it this week.

I do have a question though.

Would it be more beneficial to have 2 holy priests (So we can DG every big bang) or make 1 of them disc for the better single target healing.

They are all super pro healers, with over 2500 whr. Im pretty sure 2 of them as holy could still heal me through anything. But still.

They will be duel specced so i can try both anyways. Just wondering is DG a big deal, or is just using a single tank cooldown (ibf or divine protection). Or do I need to stack CDs?

EDIT: By DG i mean Guardian Spirit. :shock:
Last edited by Threatco on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Treck » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Guessing you mean Guardian spirit? otherwise i dont know what DG stands for :S
Id reccomend a Disc and a holy, they complement eachother better imo, holy/holy will prolly work just fine but we like a Disc on that fight.
Disc still has Painsuppression and Guardian spirit thats usefull as CDs, but using CDs while tanking will prolly not help to much, healers will still be spamming you with heals the whole fight, On our kills we have used Divine Protection/HoS for 1st and 3rd, and Pain supp on 2nd. Having a Guardian spirit if things go really bad but we might end up not using it at all.
Treck

Postby Threatco » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm

PS has a pretty short duration. Do you find it kinda of a close call the priest casting it, going in portal, then you waiting for big bang? Is it a close shave or is it pretty easy? (PS is 8 seconds isint it?)
Threatco

Postby Treck » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Its pretty easy, havnt missed once yet.
Big Bang is 8sec cast and PS works for 8sec, he would have to cast it on you at the same time as Algalon starts casting Big Bang.
When we do it our disc puts it on me right before he jumps down and its usually about 4sec or so after the cast has started. Pretty safe
Treck

Postby Threatco » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:17 pm

So you do need to combine HoS glyphed + DP to survive, but PS on its own is enough?

Do I need to tell my DK to IBF + anti magic shield?
Threatco

Postby Seloei » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 pm

PS on it's own will reduce the damage of the blast to 37k with a shield on you that will mean 30-34k damage taken. Bit too close for comfort i'd say. Rather rotate a tank into it or a shadowpriest instead.

DP + Glyph of HoS means the hit deals 28k or with a shield 20k which is quite safe and gives you a decent buffer.
Seloei

Postby Threatco » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Fair enough.

So Guardian Spirit is the best option.

my BP + HoS is better then just PS.

What should my DK do?

I assume IBF + anti magic?
Threatco

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 am

I combine HoS and Divine protection just to reduce the dmg even more, but DP is enough to survive if your topped and got about 43k+ hp with a healthy bit of HP left. When i think about it, i should prolly be using HoS on the Big Bang i get Pain supp on, since it reduces dmg by 40%, while divine protection reduces incoming dmg with 50%.
If a DK is helping out soaking or solosoaking all of it, hes god IBF for every Big Bang, and the +15% health or smth for every 2nd Big Bang, Big Bang is physical attack, so Anti magic shield shouldnt do much unless hes got 4xT8 since it reduces physical dmg by a small ammount aswell then.
Since your the only one upstairs, your the only target for the constillations, thus surviving with 2k after a big bang can still kill you.
Healers get a good 2-3 sec to load up a heal after Big Bang before Algalon starts hitting you again.
Treck

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 am

Unless you're really geared, 40% DR is cutting it close. Last night for our first kill (yippee!) we used myself and a DK tank. I was more geared. Each Big Bang, the DK would take the first two Phase Punches and I'd take the remaining three and the Big Bang. For the first and third, I'd use Divine Protection (50%). For the second, it was planned that I get Pain Suppression (40%) and use HoSalv (20%). Well, I forgot to use HoSalv. I lived anyway, but not by very much, and I'm in close to BiS gear, so I recommend more than 40% if you can do it.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Splug » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 am

The damage from Big Bang is classed as physical. Unless you're using the four-piece t8 bonus, shell won't do anything at all (if you are, it's a 10% reduction).

Icebound is enough to survive big bang, but you'll probably want power word: shield in case any constellations are up shooting barrages.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Threatco » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 pm

So we tried it. Didnt get it. Got to about 65% a few times.

The dk was soaking the big bangs fine.

The cosmic smashes were a bit harder to avoid at first then i thought then they chain hit melee at very annoying times. But we got the hang of it.

When I taunted after the dk got 3 stacks a CS would land just as i start my roatations to get aggro. I changed my strat to taunt from a bit away from melee so if it hits them it wont mess me up.

It took a couple tries for everyone to learn they need to find a void spot befor big bang or else they might not get in one.

Then the times we got through through the 1st big bang fine, damage got insane on the raid.

I think this has to do with the hunter not having the stars spaced for when we come out of portal realm. If anyone has done this job and has any advice for him, that would be great.

I started saving mine and the rets bubble sac for this part which helped but alas not enough. even though I think we could eventualy get it, the 1 hour thing killed us without us really getting close.

Also remebering where other void spots are for when you come out of void zone so as not to get put back IN is kind of tricky. Almost makes me want to stand still in there.

I blame the hunter who was on stars for 70% of it.
Threatco

Postby fafhrd » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Remembering where voidzones aren't so you don't get ported back in after being ported out is pretty simple. There is no void zone at the spot you were standing at when big bang started casting. Once you're inside, run back to where you started.

Or run to the edge of the room.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon