Remove Advertisements

3.2 Spec Thoughts

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

3.2 Spec Thoughts

Postby Erutaron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:35 am

I primarily run in a 10man only setting, with a DK as my offtank. I am building this build primarily around this thought.

Build I am looking at: 5 / 53 / 13

Seals of the Pure
With the change to SoV, Seals of the Pure should be a nice DPS/TPS boost.

Divine Guardian vs Imp. HoJ
With the SS changes, it reduces the usefulness of DG. Having a 20sec interrupt for fights like Iron Council would be quite benificial

2/2 VIndication & 1/2 PoJ
Running without a warrior to demo shout this will be particularly useful
1/2 PoJ will allow me to keep the run speed of the boot enchant, and keep the 22 Stam enchant.

I am thinking overall, given the setting I will be tanking, this will do just fine. There are other things I want to pick up, but with the allotment of point I have available, sacrifices have to be made.

Thoughts & Opinions welcome
Erutaron

Re: 3.2 Spec Thoughts

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

As far as threat goes, you'd be better off moving those 5 points in SotP to 2/5 Conviction + 3/5 Crusade.

If you want an absurd amount of detail, there's calculations here.
Last edited by theckhd on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Braundo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 am

I used to be very attracted by the idea of Imp HoJ, but I realized that the only fights where it really sees much use at all is Council, Auriaya, and maybe for Ignis adds. Of those, you are probably better off having a more capable interrupting class doing the interrupts on Council, and on Auriaya and Ignis the stuns are not all that big of a help, at least not two talent points' worth. Especially with HoJ still being on the GCD, I have managed to talk myself out of trying to work it into a build because I just don't see it as being very worth it.

It MAY be worth considering if your group consistently runs without many good interrupting classes, but even then your interrupting ability on Council is pretty limited due to GCD unless you just camp out and wait for Brundir to start casting.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am

Braundo wrote:I used to be very attracted by the idea of Imp HoJ, but I realized that the only fights where it really sees much use at all is Council, Auriaya, and maybe for Ignis adds. Of those, you are probably better off having a more capable interrupting class doing the interrupts on Council, and on Auriaya and Ignis the stuns are not all that big of a help, at least not two talent points' worth. Especially with HoJ still being on the GCD, I have managed to talk myself out of trying to work it into a build because I just don't see it as being very worth it.

It MAY be worth considering if your group consistently runs without many good interrupting classes, but even then your interrupting ability on Council is pretty limited due to GCD unless you just camp out and wait for Brundir to start casting.

I could sure use those interrupts on Council, but that's the only place in Ulduar I need them more than once a fight.

That being said, if with the DG/SS change, might be worthwhile to put the points in HoJ again.

But.. any idea if we need HoJ in the new Ring of Blood 3.0? Any of those mobs stunnable? or at least interruptable?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Spite » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:04 am

Braundo wrote:I used to be very attracted by the idea of Imp HoJ, but I realized that the only fights where it really sees much use at all is Council, Auriaya, and maybe for Ignis adds. Of those, you are probably better off having a more capable interrupting class doing the interrupts on Council, and on Auriaya and Ignis the stuns are not all that big of a help, at least not two talent points' worth. Especially with HoJ still being on the GCD, I have managed to talk myself out of trying to work it into a build because I just don't see it as being very worth it.

HoJ utility is seen more often then just the encounters you spoke of. For example: Freya has lots of adds that can be stunned, this can really help especially stunning snaplasher if its getting too close to a healer or ranged. Mimiron, you can stun the bomb bots if the bomb tank happens to not get it fast enough, this prevent members from getting blown up. Thorim, the arena and the hallway have lots of stunning benefits, hallway a stun keeps one impale off you or a potential cast. In the arena evoker casting interupt, not to mention stunning any of the adds really helps. On General when I am MTing if a dps misses the interupt I can counter it quickly and potentially save the raid. On Yogg, first phase when Im ferrying in the Adds towards sarah and they stop to cast the shadow void (name?) I can interupt when the melee are not around to help reducing the healing debuff and damage on he raid. Phase 2 I can help interupt corrupters, stun any potential unfocused member who got MCed before they kill a healer. Phase 3 help interupt the immortals.

Now that the major bosses are given examples, we can go to the easier ones. Razorscale adds are stunnable and interupting there cast can really help, especially with placement for the achievement. XT reg/hard mode, good for adds and on hard mode great for sparks.

All and all I think you greatly undervalue HoJ being on a 20 second cooldown. Without the -20 second, leaving it on a 40 second you might miss out on very crucial opportunities to either stun or interupt. But this imho is just my personal justification. The points in DG are not a terrible substitute, for the deduction of damage for the raid, but as far as SS, if you have a good holy pally he should be placing SS on you anyways so i guess meh :lol:
Spite

Return to Basic Training & Talents