What stats to aim for

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

What stats to aim for

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:26 pm

We just started BT, we menaged (with some difficulties) to kill Naj'entus and we had a shot to Supremus but we did not kill him.

According to our "tanking plan", i'm supposed to be MainTanking the following bosses for the progression:
- Supremus
- Teron Gorefiend
- Bloodboil (well, one of the 3 tanks)
- Reliquary of Souls in p3
- Illidan
Well both Teron and Illidan were supposed to be tanked to the warrior MT if 2.3 had come too late, but since it came now and i'm passing him in HP and threat gen, all seembs ok.

How my question: what kind of gear should i aim for to tank those bosses? High stam? High avoidance? Mitigation?

I thought to use a max stam (uncrushable) gear for Supremus, max avoidance (still uncrushable) for Gorefiend, some mix of stam and threat set for Bloodboil, threat set for RoS, and high stam (with 102.4% avoidance without miss) for Illidan. Am i right?

Since the first one (Supremus) is already incoming this week, i'd love some advice for this fight, but i'd appreciate any suggestion/feedback.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lansky » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Supremus is a very easy boss to tank in any respect. I really don't see needing to gear particulary in any direction for him. Hardest part is just chasing him around in kite phase beacuse you have to pay attention to running around. Makes it harder to watch t.v.

Gorefiend can potentially hit really hard. I'd reccomend about 20k health and then as you say to stack avoidance from there on.

For Bloodboil you don't mention uncrushable I'd assume this was just an oversight. He hits pretty hard and with all the tank swaps crushes could get pretty nasty. Otherwise I just use a trinket with an "on use" avoidance for when he first swaps to me. Helps gives healers a second to switch focus as well as prevent the debuff from stacking too quickly.

Never done EoA or Illidan however our warrior who does it does use the gear types you list. He actually focuses on threat quite a bit for Illidan, however as quickly as Illidan attacks I have a sneaking suspision that you will have little issue with threat on him and can stack stam/avoidance to your heart's desire which would help a ton with a possible enrage.

Overall your concepts for gear are spot on. Now just need to go get your hands wet so to speak and learn the fights.
Lansky

Postby fiorina » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:53 pm

Well, it's not like you have tons of lvl141 tanking gear to choose from. Just loot what drops. Tier6 are great tanking pieces. Explain to priests and warlocks their position in the foodchain :)

Try to be as close as possible(fully raid buffed including scrolls) to 20k HP, 19k armor, 30% dodge, 20%parry, 20%block 450+ spelldmg. Of course at the beginning it won't be like this, but the closer you will be to Illidan, the more you should meet and exceed these numbers.

For Bloodboil you need solid 600spelldmg - well, not necessary, but it helps a lot when some unlucky desorients happen.

For Illidan over 20k armor, 30% dodge(against lvl73), Moroes trinket, nightmare seeds. Honestly it's better to let warrior tank Illidan, I've tried, it's doable but especially global cooldowns sux. And you can generate superb threat on Elemental in Phase 2 so you can kill it faster, which gives you much more advantage in that fight. Good warrior will generate 1200-1400TPS on Illidan so there are no threat concerns.

Mother and Teron hits very hards, so again, stamina+armor+dodge.

Rest of bosses are just trash from tank point of view, no gimmicks.

Stamina should not be an issue after 2.3, but as item budget for stamina is so good, why not to use it.

This is purely my opinion based on experience in 1 guild. Our raid = healers eating during raid and watching TV, tanks getting blowjob, DPS is running around like headless chickens with flailing hands. That's maybe why I emphasize to get avoidance, your experience could be different.

And again
http://tw.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... E&n=Himeko
^^Illidan's MT, first China kill :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Kayoto » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:07 am

fiorina wrote:tanks getting blowjob

Can I come tank for your raids?

What? I couldn't possibly NOT make a joke about that one. Don't look at me like that.

More on-topic, sort of: thank you for making this thread, 'cause I was slightly curious myself, Worldi, as I'll be in the same position relatively soon (killed Kael just today, guild is making me main tank when 2.3 hits).
Kayoto

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:57 am

Ahh too much avoidance, i will have to respec 49/12 >< Was starting to like the 12/49/0

HPs arent an issue, i have 21k+ raidbuffed with 2.3 gear, i can get close to those values but i suppose i'll need to ninja a couple of drops from Hyjal and Black Temple.

Now if just Azgalor drops Conqueror this week...
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:28 am

for RoS p3, I'd go for maximized overdrive excessive stam, with a lesser emphasis on threat.
Avoidance wouldn't be as important here as in other fights in my opinion.

Widen your AD god-mode range as much as you can.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Lansky » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:00 pm

Worldie wrote:Ahh too much avoidance, i will have to respec 49/12 >< Was starting to like the 12/49/0

You will notice a drastic difference in going from T5 boss SA mana regen and T6 boss SA mana regen. I've done some of these fights with buffed 20k AC, 36 dodge, 20 parry, 12 miss, and never considered using a mana pot. It's night and day for the bosses you are discussing tanking outside of Supremus I suppose I could see going oom on him... such a pansy.

Also Joana is correct about EoA. I don't see you having an issue with threat here since one AW will last roughly half the fight, but towards the end of your first kill you may wish you had SW. I know our first kill came after the rogues SS'd back up and the tank SW'd the last ~4%. Widening the AD gap would be really nice here along with maybe saving an on use avoidance trinket for the last 10% or so.
Lansky

Postby fiorina » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:50 pm

Worldie wrote:Ahh too much avoidance, i will have to respec 49/12 >< Was starting to like the 12/49/0

HPs arent an issue, i have 21k+ raidbuffed with 2.3 gear, i can get close to those values but i suppose i'll need to ninja a couple of drops from Hyjal and Black Temple.

Now if just Azgalor drops Conqueror this week...

well, 10/49 is nice when you lack spelldmg, should be fixed by BT/ZA loot... ..12/49 is because of lay on hands? Umm, interresing.
But well, you want some holy monkey keep +3% crit debuff for the raid? I'd better manage this by myself :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:19 am

I've been trying the 12 in Holy more because in TK and SSC i've been more offtanking than tanking, and the extra threat from SoR is quite useful. But now i got the mace from Hyjal and nearly doubled my spelldamage so i don't feel the needing for that anymore. Imp LoH is quite good, more because of the reduced CD than the 30% armor, since with the priest/shaman buff i'm already quite close to the cap... i guess i will live without.

Now, if only Azgalor dropped conqueror or Najetus those boots .. =\

I'm not sure if i will pick or not the 3% crit. I find myself using JoW for 90% of the time, and our casters are quite happy with that...

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby enbee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:40 am

You'll need to spec deflection, a must for illidan if you wanna avoid shear.. and throwing away 5% avoidance is well.. :<
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Return to Black Temple