Remove Advertisements

Bear Boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Mouse » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 am

we went in with mostly alts and killed him without much problem, but it was a long fight to be sure.
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Scotthew » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:56 pm

I've tanked Nalorakk several times now. It's a pretty fun fight to tank, since you get to you taunt again (It's been awhile, huh?).

He has ~1.7 million health, which is abount 600k more than Prince. Expect a long fight. It'll take a group with 4000 raid dps 7 minutes to kill him.

Brutal Swipe is his most powerful single attack, but it splits damage between the players it hits seemingly capped at two players. Just have the tanks stand on top of eachother to make it a non-issue. All other melee should be behind the boss for the usual reasons.

Troll form he will Mangle the tank increasing bleed damage by 100%. He will also randomly charge a raid member and hit for about 3-4k on cloth before returning to the tank (great time to use Hammer of Wrath or Avenger's Shield).

Bear form has two bleed attacks that tick for 1.7-2.3k. He will use a Deafening Roar that does 1.2-1.3 damage and silences for a couple seconds (the range is quite large). If you're using a warrior or druid for your alternate tank, it's typically better to let them tank the bear phase.

It's important to note that Nalorakk can NOT deal a crushing blow. Feel free to gear for stamina for this fight. During my several runs I had around 16.5-18k HP for the fight and had no issues staying alive.

Most wipes will be caused by a failed tank rotation or the bear tank dying during a silence.

-Scotthew
Scotthew

Postby Mouse » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Interesting about the crushing blow, though Id still like to have a fair amt of dodge on him. Im only at 13k hp unbuffed (will be 13.9 in 2.3) and he was hitting me pretty hard a few weeks ago, when I last ran him.
80 Tank DK

80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Aalryn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:37 pm

Scotthew wrote:
Brutal Swipe is his most powerful single attack, but it splits damage between the players it hits seemingly capped at two players. Just have the tanks stand on top of eachother to make it a non-issue. All other melee should be behind the boss for the usual reasons.
-Scotthew

wow this is good to find out now :) I just tanked him the other day and the offtank and I stood opposite sides of each other. I guess I took the full brunt of his attacks.

22k hp raid buffed did help a bit there though.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Sayka » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 am

Is this boss impossible with only 1 tank?
I dont really like the idea of having a tankadin (me) and a protection warrior in the raidgrp. If only 1 tank is needed for the other encounters/trash, then the 2nd tank would basically be doing nothing...
Rwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwlrwl!
Sayka

Postby Scotthew » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

Though possible, it would be extremely difficult to kill Bear with a single tank. Your best bet would be to convince your warrior to spec Fury or recruit a feral druid.

I suppose with use of Divine Shield, Blessing of Protection, Stoneform (where able), creative use of Rogue Evasion, and a lot of luck you could tank the Bear by yourself. :wink:
Scotthew

Postby Mouse » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:26 pm

Sayka wrote:Is this boss impossible with only 1 tank?
I dont really like the idea of having a tankadin (me) and a protection warrior in the raidgrp. If only 1 tank is needed for the other encounters/trash, then the 2nd tank would basically be doing nothing...

Druids are also tanks.
80 Tank DK

80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby mconeone » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:32 pm

ZA is designed for 2 prot-level t4 geared tanks.
mconeone

Postby Arianne » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Most of the fights in ZA have mechanics where the boss has a high damage attack that splits between two targets or where there are adds to offtank (or both).
Arianne

Postby Winchester » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:35 pm

alse bear in mind (lol pun) that the cleave can be dodged. I think i dodged all of them while not tanking.
I guess if you absolutely had to you could have a rotation of people to stand next to you for the cleave, the holy palas using devine shield could work.
The problem isnt that, it's the mangle+bleed effects.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Kurup » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:33 am

Is there an aggro wipe between the boss's shapeshifts? I'm guessing there is, since it's particularly hard for us pally tanks to maintain second on threat and people have successfully done this encounter with 2 paladin tanks. Also if this is the case, what should the current off-tank be doing between phase shifts?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just couldn't find this information elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

Kurup
Kurup

Postby Winchester » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:36 am

Kurup wrote:Is there an aggro wipe between the boss's shapeshifts? I'm guessing there is, since it's particularly hard for us pally tanks to maintain second on threat and people have successfully done this encounter with 2 paladin tanks. Also if this is the case, what should the current off-tank be doing between phase shifts?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I just couldn't find this information elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

Kurup

He's tauntable. ;)
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:24 am

I tanked him last night in this gear. As you can see, a little under geared for the encounter, but I did it with a guild that was very well versed in the DPS race fight. I tanked him in troll form, and due to my gear was topped off on mana pretty much the whole time. Thus, when the warrior would tank in bear, I would be able to toss out heals the whole time and still be able to build threat when I taunted him back. I was really skeptical of whether or not my gear could handle this, but it seems as though, as long as your threat and the DPS is high enough, and the healers are up for it, it's a simple issue of how long it takes the raid to kill him.
And once, my RD was resisted and the other tank died within a few seconds. so, I switched to King's Defender for the extra hit rating, threw some Superior wizard oil and we got him down.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby jere » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 pm

NarfJones wrote: And once, my RD was resisted and the other tank died within a few seconds. so, I switched to King's Defender for the extra hit rating, threw some Superior wizard oil and we got him down.

Alternately, if you are second on threat, you might be able BoP the other tank (let him know so he can cancel it) to have him start attacking you. Again, you would need to be the 2nd on the threat list.
jere

Postby honorshammer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 am

Scotthew wrote:It's important to note that Nalorakk can NOT deal a crushing blow. Feel free to gear for stamina for this fight. During my several runs I had around 16.5-18k HP for the fight and had no issues staying alive.

How do you know he can't deal a CB?
honorshammer

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman