New achievment site, need testers!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: New achievment site, need testers!

Postby Arees » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 pm

I have another suggestion. This revolves around how you "search" for another character.

If I want to search for a particular hunter in my guild that is competing with me in points (he is 5 ahead atm :() What I currently have to do is type in his name and realm and click "set". Now though if I leave and come back 10 times, he will still be the toon that is displayed until I "search" for my toon again.

What I propose is changing it so that you "set" your default toon in your profile, and on the main page turn it into a normal search. If I leave and then come back, I want Arees to show, not who I was looking at before. Maybe also in the box where is has the profile and log out links, add a link that says "my character" or something to that effect that takes you back to whatever toon you have set in your profile.

*edit*

and I found a bug in the process. After setting it to the hunters toon, when I scroll through the achievements it doesn't show him as having any completed. Armory is up and working fine atm.

*edit2*

After refreshing the page it shows the ones he has completed. Not sure if that is the same chracter not found issue people have reported or not.
Arees

Postby Arees » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:26 pm

I'll make a new post for this. I completely broke the site (at least for me) it seems. I'll try to put everything I did and see if it can be reproduced.

1) Opened up the main page, it showed me (Arees)
2) Set the character to a hunter
3) I clicked the suggested tab to see what he was close to finishing
4) I clicked the pvp tab... it showed everything as being incomplete
5) I clicked the pvp tab again and everything came back normal
6) I went back to the main page
7) I typed in arees and ravencrest for the name/server
8) I got an error saying "Character can not be found"
9) I typed it in again 3 more times, each time getting the same error.

This is where the weirdness begins. On the left column where the character portrait is, it shows the hunter portrait. It displays the amount of achievement points the hunter has. Under that though, it displays my name. If I click any achievement tabs they all come up as being incomplete.

As I typed this it seems to have fixed itself somehow... kinda. It still shows the hunters portrait and points count, but it is now correctly showing MY achievements.
Arees

Postby Arees » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Lets see if the file upload works. If so its a screen shot of some of the weirdness.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.85 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Arees

Postby Shoju » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Checked out the site. I like it!

One thing that I noticed when I used my character in Chrome (haven't tried in FF or IE)

Any achievement with a bar (money, skill, tabards)

and the well read achievement hang WAY off the right side.

still a kill site.
Shoju

Postby Thalia » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Ya all those weird character things have been happening since Aergis used a cached character info to save us from pulling too much info from armory per second. Before it was working fine, but we want to find a way to parse info per second extracted from the armory or I heard the IP might get banned for a day. We had not run into that issue yet since not many people are using the site, but we where concerned that if we got as many users in the future as maintankadin has it might happen. Aergis is trying to work on a solution, thank you for posting all the bugs and the step by step stuff that happens, that might help him recreate the bugs so he can try and find solutions.
Thalia

Postby Aergis » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Did a bunch of digging tonight, these are all armory errors. We're running into the issue of sending too many requests to the armory and they are throttling our requests per second. I'm certain you were getting these errors becaus someone else was on the site as well and doing more requests.

I'm not sure what the solution to that's going to be... It sucks and wasn't something I anticipated, though it makes sense that they don't want there bandwith hogged by 3rd party sites like ours.

Anyone know some really good PHP guy who could figure something out? One solution I can think of but i dont know how to do is send the request from the user to the armory rather than the server, but I don't have any idea how to accomplish that.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Arees » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 am

Aergis wrote:One solution I can think of but i dont know how to do is send the request from the user to the armory rather than the server, but I don't have any idea how to accomplish that.

I'm not experienced with scripting languages, but could you not just have a small javascript embedded with a button added that says "refresh from armory". I'm almost certain that most 3rd party sites access the armory through client side scripting... otherwise they would run into the same problem you are having.

When you click the suggested tab, is the processing for that done client or server side? I would think you want to do all the processing client side. Then again, I think that would be harder because of the quirks among the different browsers.
Arees

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 am

I hope you don't mind, we have a couple of serious achievement people in my guild, so I posted a link for them to go and check it out. If anyone could break it, it would be our achievement loving druid.
Shoju

Postby Arees » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 am

Shoju wrote:I hope you don't mind, we have a couple of serious achievement people in my guild, so I posted a link for them to go and check it out. If anyone could break it, it would be our achievement loving druid.

I would just make sure they know that its in beta and that sometimes it breaks because it gets updated fairly frequently... and of course point them back here so they can report any problems.
Arees

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:36 am

Aergis wrote:Did a bunch of digging tonight, these are all armory errors. We're running into the issue of sending too many requests to the armory and they are throttling our requests per second. I'm certain you were getting these errors becaus someone else was on the site as well and doing more requests.

I'm not sure what the solution to that's going to be... It sucks and wasn't something I anticipated, though it makes sense that they don't want there bandwith hogged by 3rd party sites like ours.

Anyone know some really good PHP guy who could figure something out? One solution I can think of but i dont know how to do is send the request from the user to the armory rather than the server, but I don't have any idea how to accomplish that.

Aergis, throw me an IM when you're around.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:38 am

I haven't read most of this thread so I may cover things already posted here, but I liked the site. I particularly liked what achievements I was close to completing, however I wish there was an option to ignore certain achievements for this page (ie. ones you know you're close to, but may not have a good enough shot at completing), or increase the number of achievements you can see on that page.

Another thing is... it never remembers my character when I sign in. Any way to fix that?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Arees » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 am

Nikachelle wrote:Another thing is... it never remembers my character when I sign in. Any way to fix that?

Did you actually create an account or just put in your toon and click set. I think the button is a little misleading because it the set only "sticks" if you create an account.
Arees

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:07 am

WATERBOYsh wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Another thing is... it never remembers my character when I sign in. Any way to fix that?

Did you actually create an account or just put in your toon and click set. I think the button is a little misleading because it the set only "sticks" if you create an account.

I did create an account while I was at work. I went home and relogged in and it had no character selected.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:
WATERBOYsh wrote:

I did create an account while I was at work. I went home and relogged in and it had no character selected.

Refresh it, could have been during a time we got throttled by the armory. I think Mike came up with like 3-4 different ideas to hopefully solve this, though the best bet and smoothest we think would be the piggy backing on user side to download from armory so we never get throttled again =)
Thalia

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:49 am

I've refreshed it a few times now and still nothing. Now when I try to plug my character back in manually, it says it can't find my character at all. I double checked the EU armory to make sure it wasn't down, and sure enough, it still works.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General