[10] Firefighter

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Firefighter

Postby Belloc » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Ret = Taunt, boom, art of war heal.
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 am

Ret paladins have pretty high HP, but they're also among the best at DPS in P3.
Feral druids take significantly reduced AoE damage and probably have more health than any plate-wearer in bear form. I don't remember if the AoE reduction applies in bear or not though.

Deathknights are definitely the best choice, because if the bomb gets loose, they can death grip it back. They also have more HP than ret pallies and some tools to mitigate the damage.

Certainly in any case it's preferable to have one person dedicated to eating the bombs than to have 2 ranged DPS switch off to try and kill them with the aid of a healer. That distracts 3 people when you could just have one person focused on it. We found it was far cleaner this way.

Can this fight be done with 2 tanks? The closest my group got last night was P4 as the self-destruct went off with 5%/13%/8% on the three parts. We are running Blood DK/Prot Pally, Holy priest/Resto Druid/Resto Shammy, Mage/Lock x2/Rogue/Blood DK.

I don't know why you'd want to use 2 tanks. Even in phase 3, there shouldn't be too much for one to handle. Your problem is wasted time in P3, but that's usually an issue with positioning quickly, not loose trash bots.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fafhrd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:30 am

PsiVen wrote:Certainly in any case it's preferable to have one person dedicated to eating the bombs than to have 2 ranged DPS switch off to try and kill them with the aid of a healer. That distracts 3 people when you could just have one person focused on it. We found it was far cleaner this way.

Are we still talking about 10 man here? It doesn't take 2 ranged plus a healer to kill them, 1 ranged and no healer is more than enough (i.e. the bombs will never make it to your DPS alive).

You're still having 1 person who spends more of the phase on bombs than the boss, the question is just whether a melee who needs to run out a bit, pick up and blow up a bomb, get healed, then run back to the boss if he's going to melee before the next spawn is less DPS lost than a ranged who just nukes bombs without moving extra or taking extra damage, and switches back to the boss for a few seconds in between.

Here's the damage breakdown for Bomb Bots from a kill a while back, click the Damage By Actor tab to see incoming damage: (5k of the mage's 6K damage was a living bomb tick): http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5TdP ... 987&e=4583

The hunter's outgoing damage breakdown just for Phase 3 was:
Code: Select all
Damage done on
Actor    Amount
Bomb Bot    148326    46.2 %
Aerial Command Unit    88784    27.6 %
Assault Bot    41049    12.8 %
Emergency Fire Bot    24477    7.6 %
Junk Bot    18569    5.8 %

Formatting terrible, but you can see that there was quite a good % of time to do stuff other than killing bots as ranged. Melee might actually manage more though if he's the only melee, or doesn't have to move far before eating a bomb.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby praetorae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:04 am

After a couple of tries getting positioning right, finally managed to get this achievement down.

Group Composition:

Prot Paladin (Me)
Arms Warrior
Arms Warrior
Retri Paladin
S-Priest
Ele Shaman
Boomkin
Mage (FB spam I think, but he changes spec more than I have hot dinners)
Holy Paladin
Resto Druid

P1: What worked for us was having an 'almost' set kiting line so that everyone knew where they could run too and where the boss would be. Also helped that after a few tries people got the idea that standing near someone else = bad. Also, once we had the 1st giant frost blast that puts out all the fires everyone would try to stand near the sides of the room for the next fires spawn.
Once P1 over we kept the fires small by slowly kiting them back and forth until Mimiron jumped out from the corner then;

P2: In normal mode we all used to stand just on or inside the 'gold circle' on the ground spread out around the circle. This tactic seems to work perfectly for hard mode as well. Fires would spawn then almost instantly be put out by Mimirons short ranged frost blasts, while the original fires slowly worked their way over to us from the wall. Healing was seriously intense here (so I'm told) but having 2 paladins who can Bubble+Divine Sacrifice helped quite a bit.

P3: We ignored the fire extinguisher bots completely, had the ele shaman tank the head and one of the arms warriors went Def stance to eat the bombs (since our Boomkin failed totally @ rooting + blasting them). The 2nd Arms warrior saved 2 cores, called for the shaman to kite the head to a clear spot then popped both at once. I'm pretty sure using both at once doubles the amount of damage you do to the head over using just 1 core. This + heroism and personal CD's meant the head dropped like a stone!

P4: Easy - in fact possibly the easiest phase. I taunted the head when the Ele shaman died to an unlucky streak of hits and from then on it was just, Kite Mimiron to the area free of fires, nuke for a bit, kite him again, nuke, etc.etc. Ended up killing him with around 1 min to spare on the timer with 7 people left alive.

Have to say though, huge respect to anyone who managed to beat this encounter pre-nerfs. Challenging enough now, can't imagine just how much more perfect everyone would have to be to beat pre-nerf Firefighter.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
praetorae
Maintankadonor

Postby Threatco » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:59 pm

How long did it take you? About how many times did you wipe in P3?

I was hoping I huge mistake was NOT killing emergency bots, and that killing them would give us the win. But it seems people do it both ways. Is it just more sloppy/lucky doing it without killing them as the fire will be more spread out?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Belloc » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Threatco, did you check out my videos? We don't kill the firefighter bots at all, and it doesn't take long before all the fire is gone. Not spread out -- gone.
Belloc

Postby Mysticknight » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:22 pm

The key to phase 3 is to kite around the room u will end up putting 2 areas in fire if you move as the fire follows you after the shift to phase 4 u have everything bots killed capping your fires at 50 allowing the Frost bombs to put out fires as u kite to the area where frost bomb hit.
Mysticknight

Postby Threatco » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm

No i haven't but I will watched your vid (cant at work). I have had problems learning fights from videos especialy this one as I have watched a few but I will try more when I get home.

Phase 3 position seems to be defined by the head tank. He has to pull the head around to get it out of fire.

I think what may have been killing us is we were tanking the trash in the area that the head tank / bomb killer would eventual have to move to, almost like 2 groups.

(Tank Melee Healer) (Head tank, Ranged DPS, Druid healer)

The idea was that having melee near the head tank would cause bomb bots to dorp on the raid, but thats not right is it? The head is like 30~ yards form the head tank right?

Should I have the whole raid stack in P3, and from there work on controling bomb bots better so they dont have a chance to walk to our little cluster and wipe us?

Also for the head tank, he was saying he basicly had to LoS with the alcoves in the wall of the room, which meant every time he did move, it was almost 1/4 of circle around the room. Is this how he should be doing it?
Threatco

Postby praetorae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:06 pm

In case this helps,

to help with Phase 3 positioning we stuck marks on my head (MT) and on the shaman (Head tank) and basically we tried to stay quite close to each other with the rest of the raid stacking up close as well.

Only the arms warrior in charge of bomb duty was any real distance away.

Then it was just a case of the entire raid re-positioning every-so often when either me or the shaman moved to area's free of fires.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
praetorae
Maintankadonor

Postby Sober » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:49 am

Got firefighter the other night, yay!

I went ret but we had to have our DK DPS eat the bombs (even with raid buffs I barely had enough to eat a bomb in my ret gear). What we did with the head is have the warlock hit it, then head towards one of the doors (2, 6 and 10 o'clock positions) and LOS the head and have it dropped, that way there isn't any time wasted on running towards the head. Everyone except the bomb soaker should be stacked on the head tank and add tank.
Sober

Postby Dalithe » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 am

Got this today, was so pumped! 2 Shot it and it was pretty clean.

Prot Pally
Disc Priest
Holy Pally
Resto Druid
Elemental Shaman
Ret Paladin
Arms Warrior
Hunter
Shadow Priest
Rogue

P1 DP, PS, Salvation
P2 Druid MVP, Melee moving out of the attacks as much as possible.
P3 Lots of backwards walking and tanking. We had 2 seperate take downs for the head...it just worked better for us that way.
P4 I taunted the head and there was again lots of backwards walking and tanking (stopped when able to concentrate). Read from here that I should taunt the head off the range tank for P4, that was a huge assist and I thank all those that posted their success in here.
Dalithe

Postby Threatco » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:22 am

We got it last night too!

It took alot more then 2 tries though lol :lol:

There is just so many ways to die.

DK tank. Resto druid. Disc priest and a holy priest.
Threatco

Postby Dalithe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Anyone ever done this fight without a Resto Druid? For us atm, it's just not possible without one.
Dalithe

Postby Threatco » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Our resto druid is such a beast I don't even bother trying if he's not online.

Nope, I would say it would be pretty hard.
Threatco

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Dalithe wrote:Anyone ever done this fight without a Resto Druid? For us atm, it's just not possible without one.

Holy pally, holy priest, resto shaman for us.
Rhiannon

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon