Remove Advertisements

Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby phaqueue » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:15 am

Since they haven't been mentioned yet... spiedies are something to try for those out there who love grilling...

It's easily one of the best store-bought marinades you can get, but it can be hard to find...

The "correct" way to eat it is to take meat of your choice (generally chicken or beef, but pork and turkey work ok) and cut into cubes. Then you marinate the cubes in the Spiedie Marinade for 12-24 hours. Put the cubes of meat onto skewers then grill until cooked. Take off skewers and enjoy - usually when eaten in Endicott, NY (where they are from) you pull the spiedies off the skewer with a piece of italian bread... and top with mustard if desired...

it's really a unique taste... that can't be described

Another thing I like is to make a stir-fry of sorts... don't really have a name for it - I take some steaks, cut into small cubes and saute with some red onions and green peppers in worstechire sauce with a little bit of liquid smoke, in a separate pan... fry some potatoes (I fry them in some butter and garlic), when the steak and veggies are well cooked, add to the potatoes and cooko until the potatoes are done, then enjoy, came out pretty well for me...

Another good recipe (got this one from my mother... though she doesn't really use a set recipe for it) is (she cals it spanish rice - I really doubt it's anywhere near spanish though - seems more italian).
Take 1 box of minute rice, 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce, 1 (8 oz) can of crushed tomatoes, 8 oz water, oregano, parsley, and whatever veggies/meat you want (I use ground beef [brown first], onions, green peppers, and jalapenos - you can also add things like fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, etc) Put all in a large deep skillet or pot and cook covered on low heat for about 20 min (or until rice is tender)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Khadis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

I love grilling and my wife loves to cook. I have yet to have a bad meal prepared by either of us.

She's Russian and she cooks some of the best russian food in the world. Her specialty is Borsch (which is very very delicous) and
"pork balls" (Cubed Pork and chicken rolled into balls with bread, onions, and various spices). Cant wait to get back home and have some.

Im a grill man myself. When I lived in SC, I was a big fan of John boy and Billy's grillin sauce on my chicken. For Ribs I like to smoke them with hickory and add just a little bit of Dry rubb to them. MMMMMMM

Im also a big fan of Kabobs, Pulled pork(YUM), Pilaf, and anything containing Beef.
Khadis

Postby mew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 am

If you are looking for anything healthy, go with a lot of beans.
I made a turkey chilli once (Vanifae hated it, he had to buff it up with a lot of chilli powder and cheese) that was ground turkey, 3 different kinds of beans, tomatoes, celery, etc. It was much more like a bean soup and I enjoyed it, but I think more chilli powder was all it needed to taste more like chilli.
Lentil soup is also very very good for you.
I often refuse to cook anything that is extremely bad for me =( The other week I made quiches. I made my semi-healthy quiche (spinach, onions, mushrooms, very little cheese) and Vanifae's manly heartattack quiche (spicy sausage, bacon, onions, mushrooms, regular quiche amounts of cheese ~1/2c).

Just avoid fatty meats (beef and pork), too many high starch vegetables (potatoes, corn, maybe carrots), oil, and excess sugar.
Eat more green veggies, beans, white meats (fish and chicken, eggs are pretty good too in moderation), and fruits or lowfat yogurts for sweets. I also take multivitamins when I diet because I don't eat balanced at all :(
ImageImage
mew

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 am

I only follow a vague recipe for chili, which looks similar to Lore's.

However, mine differs because I like to incorporate black beans as well.

Also, like Vanifae, I'm a fan of the spicy. I use a liberal amount of cilantro, FRESH jalapeños, and maybe chipotles but that doesn't jive with the flavor I'm going with.

Then, I go pretty far outside the norm by adding 2-3 limes worth of lime juice....maybe more.

I've thought about trying some guajillo peppers instead, but I think it would change the flavor a bit too much to work with the lime/cilantro method.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 am

Oooooh Lime and cilantro... mmm that sounds tasty.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 am

You would actually be surprised (or maybe not) what what lime can do for the flavor of a good jalapeño.

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby katraya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:02 am

I enjoy cooking and my boyfriend used to be a chef, so there is always something yummy to be had at our house. I think cooking is what made me fall for him. I went to his house one day for brunch and next thing you knew I was naked. :lol:

He does a lot of grilling and cream based pasta sauces. One of the things he does is leg of lamb on the grill with a bunch of tarragon. It is so yummy. Another specialty of his is mashed sweet potatoes which he does with cream, garlic and brown sugar. It is to die for.

I've been known to make a pretty good Borcht too, and I always have to make it in large quantities since it is so time consuming. It comes out a bit differently each time because I've never really followed one recipes, I just take what I like from various ones and make it up as I go along.

There are two super easy chicken recipes that I like to make that look like they're much fancier than they are:

First one uses chicken thighs (also cheap) with bone and skin still on. You lay them out in a pan and drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Then you take a whole head of garlic and break that up and throw it in the pan with the skin still on it. Cook uncovered until the chicken is done. Serve this with some crusty bread to smear the roasted garlic on and enjoy. Everyone I have made this for is a big fan.

Second one uses thighs or drumsticks, again with bone and skin usually. You take a big bowl and put a bunch of olive oil in. Maybe like 1/4 to 1/2 cup? I never measure. Then you add a bunch of paprika (maybe 1-2 TBs), a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, and a dash or two of cayenne. Mix this all up and taste to see if you think it needs more of any of the spices. You can add a bit of salt but the paprika gives it a salty taste anyway so go gentle with it. When you have the taste the way you want toss the chicken pieces and a whole Vidallia onion chopped up into maybe 1 inch pieces in the bowl and make sure they get well coated. Bake until cooked through. I usually serve this with rice and "Latino Blend" frozen mixed veg (black beans, corn, onion, etc.)

Damn it, now I am hungry...
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 am

Katraya wrote: Another specialty of his is mashed sweet potatoes which he does with cream, garlic and brown sugar.

YES PLEASE!

Isetnefret

Postby katraya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:58 am

Isetnefret wrote:
Katraya wrote: Another specialty of his is mashed sweet potatoes which he does with cream, garlic and brown sugar.

YES PLEASE!

The actual "recipe" as written to send to my Dad after he visited us:

Boil the potatoes until tender.
Sautee garlic in olive oil until brown.
Add some white wine and reduce.
Add salt and pepper
Add heavy whipping cream and reduce to about half of the original volume.
Add brown sugar.

Mash the cream mixture into the potatoes and enjoy!

We're lucky in that we live in a decent sized city with good markets and ethnic foods. We have several farmers market to choose from, a greek wholesaler, awesome authentic Mexican food on the corner, and a few Asian grocery stores for fresh veggies and meats/fish. There are also several festivals every summer steps from our house - Polish, Latino and Ukranian. We go there and eat and drink ourselves silly and then stumble home.

Oh and for those of you who said you like Cilantro:
Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cilantro-Cabbage Slaw
Freaking amazing recipe I had almost forgotten about.

My frozen Lean Cuisine meal is going to be a very disappointing lunch now. :(
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:11 am

Katraya wrote:My frozen Lean Cuisine meal is going to be a very disappointing lunch now. :(

Which one are you having? I've got the canneloni with the white cheese goo.
Arcand

Postby katraya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am

Arcand wrote:
Katraya wrote:My frozen Lean Cuisine meal is going to be a very disappointing lunch now. :(

Chicken Enchilada with white goo that claims to be sour cream. :?

Tonight will make up for it though. I'm making a huge batch of homemade Mac and Cheese which I serve with stewed tomatoes. Tomorrow I'll have yummy leftovers for lunch instead!
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Falibard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am

I make an amazing turkey burger.
Falibard

Postby Aubade » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:29 am

Katraya wrote:
Arcand wrote:

Chicken Enchilada with white goo that claims to be sour cream. :?

Tonight will make up for it though. I'm making a huge batch of homemade Mac and Cheese which I serve with stewed tomatoes. Tomorrow I'll have yummy leftovers for lunch instead!

mmmmmmmm /drool
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Euphoria » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am

Dane wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Alton Brown made some chili once where he used crushed tortilla chips instead of beans. I've always been curious to make it and see what it was like. Lore, get on it.

Interestingly enough...I'm not a chili nut, but once read a thread (on another gaming forum) where a few chili die-hards were claiming that "real" chili didn't use any beans at all.

Anyone else familiar with this theory?

Beans or rice are considered in some chili circles to be "filler" and to distract from the true flavor of the dish. Most of the chili cookoffs I've ever entered don't allow either in competition chili.

I use a combination of sirloin, ground beef, and andouille sausage in my chili, along with the appropriate quantities of tomatoes. If I'm going for speed I'll use 1/4 of the seasonings to start, add 1/2 (of the total quantity) about halfway through cooking, and the rest about 10 minutes before I declare it done. This is called bombing the chili and really makes the spices pop, not as much of the aromatics get lost to the air and it makes for a better flavor. At home, since I do agree that the consistency of beans distracts from the experience so I blend them into a paste in the food processor. They make a great thickener/filler and cut down on costs.

I also serve with a little grated cheddar and a dollop of sour cream to help cut the heat from the andouille and red pepper.

Damn, I'm hungry now.
Euphoria

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:41 am

Katraya wrote:Tonight will make up for it though. I'm making a huge batch of homemade Mac and Cheese which I serve with stewed tomatoes. Tomorrow I'll have yummy leftovers for lunch instead!

My family likes KD better than my made-from-scratch mac and cheese with tomatoes and seasoning salt on top.

That, sirs, is a kick in the nuts.
Arcand

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum