Cooking with Maintankadin

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Cooking with Maintankadin

Postby Thalia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:45 pm

If you want dried chilis to keep longer, put them in the freezer then rehydrate them by boiling them. Trick passed on in my family.
Thalia

Postby Sputterduck » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm

Oh boy a food thread! I'm a food nut...

Lets see, I make pretty good steak tacos with my own Frankenstein of a marinade. Hash browns, omelets, pancakes, heavily doctored ramen to make it more like the real thing (which is oddly hard to get here). I make a pretty good meatloaf, usually with some crumbled sausage tossed in, and lots of coarse-chopped garlic, onions, and mushrooms. One time I put an Asian twist on it and blended everything with some Chinese black bean sauce, then topped it all with a sauce I whipped up of with a Thai red curry base. Served over some fresh steamed rice, yum! Probably the most complicated thing I can make though would be chili rellanos, which take a long time and a lot of work to do well, but are soooo delicious.
"experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
Sputterduck

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 pm

I love food.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Vanifae wrote:I love food.

^
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:33 pm

How do you guys like your BBQ?

I prefer glazed with sauce, I am not a fan of dry rub...
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Aubade » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:38 pm

I had a sandwich today

it was sex (with jessica alba) in sandwich form

Fresh French roll from the bakery
Fresh Mayo
honey roasted deli sliced turkey
3 slices of all cheddar cheese.
2 leaves of fresh lettuce
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
- Aubade Level 88+ Blood Elf Paladin - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbade Level 85+ Blood Elf Death Knight - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbabe Level 85+ Undead Mage - BloodScalp - Casual
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Aubade wrote:Fresh Mayo

This is where you went wrong.

However... the idea of sex with Jessica Alba may make up for your wrongdoings. Mmmm Alba...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

There will be no fake bisexual chat.

This is about food, and food only. Or sex and food.

But mostly food.
Vanifae

Postby Aubade » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:43 pm

This

in sandwich form i tell you. IT WAS AMAZING

And what's wrong with fresh mayo?

(By fresh i mean, i just bought it yesterday. The rest of it i got from the farmers market.)
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Vanifae wrote:There will be [strikethrough]no fake[/strikethrough] bisexual chat.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Vanifae wrote:There will be [strikethrough]no fake[/strikethrough] bisexual chat.

wtf is the strikethrough command?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Hmm, nothing wrong with a woman thinking another woman is hot IMO
Aubade

Postby Thalia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:57 pm

ZOMG don't derail the foodies thread.

So I've been trying to lose a little weight. I found a recipee for turkey chili, hands down, I don't think I've tasted better, I was so surprised.
Thalia

Postby Vanifae » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Thalia wrote:ZOMG don't derail the foodies thread.

So I've been trying to lose a little weight. I found a recipee for turkey chili, hands down, I don't think I've tasted better, I was so surprised.

Please post the recipe I want a healthy recipe for chili, I have been running and doing more healthy stuff.
Vanifae

Postby Aubade » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Thalia wrote:ZOMG don't derail the foodies thread.

Mm that sounds good
Aubade

Postby Thalia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Okay its from foodtv.com the foodnetwork show the link is:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/white-chili-recipe/index.html
Thalia

Postby Enkal » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 am

Best Thai stew, really easy, about 30 minutes cooking time:

1 kg chicken breast (sliced n diced)
2-3 cans coconut milk
1 small can of green curry paste (take it easy with this one)
a box of frozen green peas (the sweet ones)
1 zucchini (sliced n diced)
fish oil for saltyness

mix everything but the zucchini in a big pot, boil till the chicken is done, add the zucchini, boil a few more minutes, serve with Bastmati rice. Profit! :mrgreen:
Enkal

Postby Viycktor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:29 am

Thalia wrote:If you want dried chilis to keep longer, put them in the freezer then rehydrate them by boiling them. Trick passed on in my family.

This is basically what I do for my sauces... but I never really freeze the dried chilies, they usually keep just fine dried.

I stick em in the oven for a few minutes to make sure they're warm and toasty, pop em open and let all the dried seeds out, then steep them in a big bowl of just-under boiling water.

I then take them out after a few minutes, put them in blender with some of the water, add some herbs and spices and tomato paste... and puree that sucker up.

Then I take THAT and reduce it on the stove to get it nice and thick.

I make a pretty huge batch for enchiladas, and the trick (at least for me) is to make sure it gets in EVERYTHING. I divide the sauce into thirds essentially.

A third is simmered with some ground beef that was browned with chopped onions.

Another third is for this: I take corn tortillas, and get two frying pans: one with oil, one with the sauce. I proceed to fry the cor tortillas until they're crispy (flipping once) and then set them aside (this process goes much faster with another to help) to cool while frying the next one. Once that one is done, I put the slighly cooled tortilla in the pan with the sauce, and give it a second to soak in to soften it up. Then that one is taken out, filled with the beef+onion mixture, and placed in an oven-proof tray/casserole dish. The assembly line of fry, soak, fill continues until you run out. This step is one that I was missing for a LONG time, and it basically allows you to make corn enchiladas that are swimming in sauce, but won't dissolve on you.

Pour the last third over the enchiladas, then cover in cheese and bake in the oven.
Viycktor

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:32 am

I imagine I'd be a more interesting cook if I liked certain foods. Like most vegetables. It seems every damn dish has vegetables I don't like in them, so I never have a reason to cook it. Picky eater ftl :(
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby randomjibberish » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:04 am

I like cooking, but I find that I don't have that much time to do a dish that has a lot of prep and takes a while to cook.

This is probably one of my favorite recipe blogs, mainly cause it has youtube videos showing how it's done.
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/

I tried this recipe for chicken parmesan, and it came out really good.
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2008/02/ ... ow-it.html

So~ who's a fan of Top Chef? :D
randomjibberish

Postby phaqueue » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:15 am

Since they haven't been mentioned yet... spiedies are something to try for those out there who love grilling...

It's easily one of the best store-bought marinades you can get, but it can be hard to find...

The "correct" way to eat it is to take meat of your choice (generally chicken or beef, but pork and turkey work ok) and cut into cubes. Then you marinate the cubes in the Spiedie Marinade for 12-24 hours. Put the cubes of meat onto skewers then grill until cooked. Take off skewers and enjoy - usually when eaten in Endicott, NY (where they are from) you pull the spiedies off the skewer with a piece of italian bread... and top with mustard if desired...

it's really a unique taste... that can't be described

Another thing I like is to make a stir-fry of sorts... don't really have a name for it - I take some steaks, cut into small cubes and saute with some red onions and green peppers in worstechire sauce with a little bit of liquid smoke, in a separate pan... fry some potatoes (I fry them in some butter and garlic), when the steak and veggies are well cooked, add to the potatoes and cooko until the potatoes are done, then enjoy, came out pretty well for me...

Another good recipe (got this one from my mother... though she doesn't really use a set recipe for it) is (she cals it spanish rice - I really doubt it's anywhere near spanish though - seems more italian).
Take 1 box of minute rice, 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce, 1 (8 oz) can of crushed tomatoes, 8 oz water, oregano, parsley, and whatever veggies/meat you want (I use ground beef [brown first], onions, green peppers, and jalapenos - you can also add things like fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, etc) Put all in a large deep skillet or pot and cook covered on low heat for about 20 min (or until rice is tender)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Khadis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

I love grilling and my wife loves to cook. I have yet to have a bad meal prepared by either of us.

She's Russian and she cooks some of the best russian food in the world. Her specialty is Borsch (which is very very delicous) and
"pork balls" (Cubed Pork and chicken rolled into balls with bread, onions, and various spices). Cant wait to get back home and have some.

Im a grill man myself. When I lived in SC, I was a big fan of John boy and Billy's grillin sauce on my chicken. For Ribs I like to smoke them with hickory and add just a little bit of Dry rubb to them. MMMMMMM

Im also a big fan of Kabobs, Pulled pork(YUM), Pilaf, and anything containing Beef.
Khadis

Postby mew » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:58 am

If you are looking for anything healthy, go with a lot of beans.
I made a turkey chilli once (Vanifae hated it, he had to buff it up with a lot of chilli powder and cheese) that was ground turkey, 3 different kinds of beans, tomatoes, celery, etc. It was much more like a bean soup and I enjoyed it, but I think more chilli powder was all it needed to taste more like chilli.
Lentil soup is also very very good for you.
I often refuse to cook anything that is extremely bad for me =( The other week I made quiches. I made my semi-healthy quiche (spinach, onions, mushrooms, very little cheese) and Vanifae's manly heartattack quiche (spicy sausage, bacon, onions, mushrooms, regular quiche amounts of cheese ~1/2c).

Just avoid fatty meats (beef and pork), too many high starch vegetables (potatoes, corn, maybe carrots), oil, and excess sugar.
Eat more green veggies, beans, white meats (fish and chicken, eggs are pretty good too in moderation), and fruits or lowfat yogurts for sweets. I also take multivitamins when I diet because I don't eat balanced at all :(
ImageImage
mew

Postby Isetnefret » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:05 am

I only follow a vague recipe for chili, which looks similar to Lore's.

However, mine differs because I like to incorporate black beans as well.

Also, like Vanifae, I'm a fan of the spicy. I use a liberal amount of cilantro, FRESH jalapeños, and maybe chipotles but that doesn't jive with the flavor I'm going with.

Then, I go pretty far outside the norm by adding 2-3 limes worth of lime juice....maybe more.

I've thought about trying some guajillo peppers instead, but I think it would change the flavor a bit too much to work with the lime/cilantro method.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 am

Oooooh Lime and cilantro... mmm that sounds tasty.
Vanifae

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum