[25] Algalon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Algalon

Postby Joanadark » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 pm

Aubade wrote:
Joanadark wrote:He disengaged into a black hole one week. I dont think he's ever gonna live it down.

The past few weeks we've been absolutely plagued by bad luck. Last week we did our first pull of our one hour timer for the week and the server promptly crashed, coming back up over an hour later with algalon long gone. GMs refused to do anything for us.
The week before we were plagued by horrible lag. This week we were supposed to do algalon yesturday except the instance servers for Windrunner went down for the entire day when we were supposed to start our raid. I honestly think we'd have killed him over a week ago if we'd been just allowed to pull the damn boss. Meanwhile all the guilds that coudn't beat mimiron until he was nerfed are all catching up.

our mage Gamas made a joke calendar event over a month ago for July 22nd labled "Algalon dies", cause "Ha Ha Ha, theres no way that would ever happen. Theres no way it would take us that long." And now that date is rapidly approaching... :(

Owch dude, that blows.

Should've taken me IMO, bosses die when I show up =]

GL!

Maybe if you responded to your thread. ^^
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Markoh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:01 pm

We used a tree who got agro on them and then the 2nd tank would help close. Really closing Isn't a huge deal b/c after a black whole they are normally near the tank and die from incidental aoe.

The key for us was making sure ppl were aware of their surroundings, making it so ppl don't go into holes during non big bangs was our big issue. It really just eventually clicked and we went from 45% best attempt to 6, and eventually a kill 2 pulls later. These kind of fights are interesting, seems like no progress and then everything will just click and you wreck the fight.
Markoh

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Algalon 25 down.
world 40th, US 19th. Was glad to kill him, but it would have died two weeks ago if we hadn't had server crashes while doing our weekly timers. =(

In followup, for the kill we used a hunter and a desto lock to kill stars. After killing 12 stars both of them swapped to the boss and we ignored remaining stars. Tanks were two warriors, glyphed shield wall, blocking, and taunt. We used the 3-2 phase punch rotation.
Tank healers were two holy paladins, disc priest.
Raid healers were two druid, disc priest.

The reason you have a disc priest heal raid is because of the way the talent Rapture works. Rapture causes the priest to regain 2.5% of their total mana when their power word shield is removed via damage or dispelling, while also granting mana/rage/energy/RP to the recipient. The effect normally has a 12-second CD, but when everyone in the raid takes a big spike of damage in the same time stamp, the priest gains the effect of rapture for all of them. The disc priest basically just spammed PW:S on most of the raid for every Star dying, effectively giving everyone 7k more effective health. They gained 42k mana from rapture over the course of the fight, by comparison replenishment granted him 12k. With his int and Spark of Hope, he actually GAINED 42 mana each time he cast PW:S.

Movie inc in 4 days. Gonna be a really good one, we've been working on the algalon movie intro for weeks.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:17 am

Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:47 am

Grats :) We had our first night on him last night, best attempt around 40%. Not much different than 10-man, just harder to convince everyone to stay alive...
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby amh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:54 am

Out of curiosity, what´s your wipe-recovery-time on this? (10 and 25)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:07 am

From last death to next pull probably about 2 minutes. 3 max.
Joanadark

Postby Splug » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 am

Eh, dropping someone's damage for 15 seconds or so to grab a bunch of constellations doesn't seem like a major concession. I'm a bit undergeared anyway, so if we're going to lose someone it may as well be me. They land right as our tanks are trading off anyway, so there's some positioning funk going on.

Looks like we've sorted everything out strategy-wise that was causing us problems, and we're ahead of the berserk timer. Should be able to finish the fight soon as we stop wandering into black holes and standing in cosmic smashes. I'm probably one of the worst on that, but at least deathknights are overpowered enough to survive being retarded. On a related note, there's absolutely no way I can record the fight on my system; I have enough problems getting out of things when I have more than 5 FPS.

Grats JD. Hopefully we shouldn't be too far behind; the disc priest point is something we hadn't considered, and would have eliminated a week of time wasted trying to figure out how to prevent barrage + black hole deaths. We've figured something else out, but adding the additional buffer would be nice too.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Markoh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Joanadark wrote:Algalon 25 down.
world 40th, US 19th. Was glad to kill him, but it would have died two weeks ago if we hadn't had server crashes while doing our weekly timers. =(

In followup, for the kill we used a hunter and a desto lock to kill stars. After killing 12 stars both of them swapped to the boss and we ignored remaining stars. Tanks were two warriors, glyphed shield wall, blocking, and taunt. We used the 3-2 phase punch rotation.
Tank healers were two holy paladins, disc priest.
Raid healers were two druid, disc priest.

Movie inc in 4 days. Gonna be a really good one, we've been working on the algalon movie intro for weeks.

We just beat you, got it last night for us 18th.

But to our raid set up, we had a Tank dk and myself as the tanks using a 3 punch then taunt rotation, with shadow priests taking the big bangs and the dk taunting as soon as he comes out of black hole.
We had a cooldown used on every tank switch, the dk started with ibf on the pull and since the short cooldown every time he taunted. I had a pain sup on my 1st and 3rd times tanking and shield walled during my 2nd and 4th (which is the final burn).

Tank healers were holy pally, resto shaman, and disc priest. They had absolutely no problem keeping myself or the dk.

The raid healers were 2 holy priests and a tree. Since we were using holy priests we had all the ranged in groups 3-5 and had them basically form a triangle around the room so that the priests could use their group heal ( can't remember name of the top of my head).

Here is the video of our kill with vent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjOy4zbSjE

Our log of the kill is: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-GF961 ... 578&e=3964

One big thing to note, at the end you'll hear our gm screaming for a divine guardian on someone. Algalon is "dead" at ~3% but he won't die if he's casting. So you'll see we bring him below his death point during the wipe big bang and the dg lets someone be up for us to win.

Overall a really fun fight, I found it kind of easy. We got our kill on the third week, with the 2nd week not really counting b/c I had my comp get infected and spent the entire raid cleaning it, the dk had his hard drive die during the 2nd attempt so we had one druid as our only tank. It may just be a fight that comes easy to our guild like yogg was, just for some reason certain fights seem to be easier for some guilds.

Edit: Forgot about this completely, was watching the video again and when our gm says make sure you hit your indestructible reminded me. One thing you can do is use a Indestructible Potion about two seconds before the pull and it will start the timer to reuse a pot. This lets you have indestructible potion up for almost 4 min of the 6 min fight. We had a discussion and decided that it's best to use the potion for the first four min of the fight as apposed to the first two and last two because at the burn phase there is no real raid damage so all the healers are spamming you. A little bit of a cheap trick but anything helps.
Markoh

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Vis major got it right after us. There was a flurry of kills last night. Grats to everyone.
Joanadark

Postby fafhrd » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Heh, last night was a flurry of 10 man kills for our server oddly enough (but not for us sadly :()
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Joanadark » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:18 am

Just watched Aftermath's video. That was your last attempt of the reset. Good thing you clinched it in for a kill.
Joanadark

Postby nutron » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:49 am

Markoh wrote:One big thing to note, at the end you'll hear our gm screaming for a divine guardian on someone. Algalon is "dead" at ~3% but he won't die if he's casting. So you'll see we bring him below his death point during the wipe big bang and the dg lets someone be up for us to win.

Oh trust me you would remember if the priest failed to do it...we missed US horde first (special olympics) and server first also because of that (promptly raped him the next tuesday) :(

Nothing more frustrating than the priest going down in the black hole because his DG wasnt off cooldown yet (it had 1 sec left before being up with 4 on big bang..facepalm).
nutron

Postby Splug » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:39 am

Managed to berserk-wipe twice this week; lost a few people at big bang #3 and just couldn't burn through the rest of the fight in time. We probably have to drop to six healers for next week, it seems like an extra dps would help a lot. Healers said the tank damage seemed lower, but we also were running an extra disc priest so it's hard to say how much of it was from the nerf and how much was just having another healer.

Of note is that a Risen Ally will survive big bang, and that it seems Algalon walks over to stab them to death personally rather than despawning when all players die. I'm not sure if that's enough to reach the surrender if Big Bang #4 goes off while he's under 4%, but it may be a possible fallback.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 pm

approximately 20% nerf to tank damage. 25-man hits roughly as hard as 10-man now.
LOL. We had a DPS warrior throw on a shield and tank a whole transition.

In two days since the hotfix nerf, we went from 20 guilds in the U.S. killing it, to 33 and counting.
Joanadark

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon