[10] Help with Ignis Scorch positions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Help with Ignis Scorch positions

Postby Corpsicle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

The best way to know is to try it and see - a lot depends on how high your dps can push it, how long your healers can keep going for and how strong they can get their healing. After a few adds are up, you will start to take noticeably more damage from Ignis, and if your dps is low and heals are weak then you will likely get gibbed.

The strategy I use, standing in water but turning him to scorch the ground in one useable spot (about every other scorch) is a similar approach to what you quoted that allows you to kill off at least some of the adds, keeping Ignis' damage to a more reasonable level. You might try that if you find you have issues with tanks dying with the straight up burn approach.
Corpsicle

Postby Seloei » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 am

It is possible but that depends on the quality of your dps. If their all just barely scratching 2k dps then it's not if their hitting 3-4k on patchwerk then it is.
8 adds up in 10man = hitting like in 25man.

You can try but shattering them is easy.
Seloei

Postby Arcia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm

Koremar82 wrote:Is this tactic possible with guilds that have just started Uld 10? My guild is mostly Naxx 10 and a bit of 25 geared (and some Ulduar now, only up to Iron Council atm).

Might be a bit though with that level of gear, as others have said it will depend on how fast you dps can take him down.
It was a walk in the park for my guild while we first started Ulduar10, we all had full 25 man gear though.
Arcia

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Arcia wrote:For 10man you really dont need to kill off the adds, just have the MT position Ignis near one of the pools and drop the scorches into the water so the dissapear after a few seconds, the offtank simply picks up all the adds and offtanks them until ignis is dead, very easy this way.

In 10 I just tank it all. Not recommended for raids new to Ulduar. In 25s we used to use Falibard's positioning when we popped adds; Sellassie's strat looks like an awful lot of unnecessary movement. Now we have the Ignis tank just stand in the pool and I pick up all the adds.

The 3 scorch position diagram Falibard posted is really very easy and requires the least amount of raid movement. The OT will have to be good.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:20 am

Actually for 25 man, Sella's strat is what we use, and if you search youtube you'll see alot of guilds use the same strat as well. The whole point is to keep the scorches as close to the water as possible, so there is less travel for the constructs to the water then they heat up. Although many guilds use 2 add tanks for safety, we actually manage with 1 add tank now since the construct nerf to 10 stacks. Salla's diagram doesn't actually show the position of ignis himself but only the scorches. If positioned correctly the raid doesn't really have too move much either, only the melee moves and the ranged just changes direction.

As for 10 mans, as fuzzygeek says, I tank him in the water and tank Ignis and all the adds together. For the raid this is the most easiest with no movement at all, and at the same time it's also the best way to do the speed kill achievement.
Makaijin

Postby Dalithe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:58 am

I use pretty much Sella's strat/diagram. Although instead of facing the exact directions that the arrows depict in the picture I run a tigher center area and have Ignis in one position and change his angle so that he's Scorching diagonally out to the four corners. This gives melee only slight facing movements to keep up with Ignis motions and also reduces the distance when Ignis does his grab. I absolute cannot stand him running out of range of my attacks.

I think the only person this causes undue stress towards are the hunters who often try to stay ahead of me and dance in and out of the scorches when the come down due to their range requirements.

Acceptable imo.
Dalithe

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:35 am

Ah, did not realize people used two add tanks in 25. The idea never occurred to me. Given how fast stacks of molten apply now, I can't imagine how it could be a problem; with the 3 spot there's always a spot next to one side or the other.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 am

Koremar82 wrote:
Arcia wrote:For 10man you really dont need to kill off the adds, just have the MT position Ignis near one of the pools and drop the scorches into the water so the dissapear after a few seconds, the offtank simply picks up all the adds and offtanks them until ignis is dead, very easy this way.

Is this tactic possible with guilds that have just started Uld 10? My guild is mostly Naxx 10 and a bit of 25 geared (and some Ulduar now, only up to Iron Council atm).

Certainly is - my 10 man group got our first Ignis kill this way, on our first (successful) week into Ulduar. The log is here to demonstrate that the group's gear level was relatively low. For comparison, this week's zerg kill here (yeah, that's me on add tanking duty, topping the meters :P )
Epimer

Postby Dazhbog » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:03 pm

We drop scorches right near one of the pools (the north one), one just east and one just west of the dividing line between the pools. The third scorch in the rotation is absorbed by the pool. No muss, no fuss, and decently easy Stokin' achievements.
Dazhbog

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon