Which one first? Badge Chest or Legs?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Dragonzbane » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:08 am

Erd wrote:
Invisusira wrote:I'd honestly go with the legs first just because they're sooo gooooood!

even if I get the tier 5 leggings? cuz if so, I'd rather pass the tier 5 to someone who needs them more

I would disagree.

If you get the T5 legs, take the chest over the legs first.

But you could always work the math out for yourself.

Compare Jadeskull to Gaurdian and then T5 to Heroic legs.
Then to double check take the combo of Jadeskull and Heroic Legs vs. Gaurdian and T5 legs.
Dragonzbane

Postby Erd » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:18 pm

so I did get the tier 5 legs. I had timewardens becuase the legs off curator never drops for me.

Anyway, I am uncrushable now. I do wear the tier 5 shoulders for the set bonus. I do not feel like the tier 4 shoulders are better since I am already uncrushable until I get another piece of tier 5. Am I on the right track here?

So looks like I will be getting the heroic badge chest piece first although I wish it had shield block rating and block value instead of dodge :/.
Erd

Postby honorshammer » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:52 am

@Erd, I dig the Dodge. I've got the lowest EDF of any tank in my guild because I've gone EH so hard.

I've got Timewarden's and Vindicator's. If neither Panzarthar or Wyrnn's drops this week, I'll get the chest because Curator is easier for me to tank, and hope for Wyrnn's while I save up for the Legs.

I'm just glad I won't have to make the Heroics or Kara/ZA decision anymore. I'll get Badges from them all....
honorshammer

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:33 am

Erd wrote:I do wear the tier 5 shoulders for the set bonus. I do not feel like the tier 4 shoulders are better since I am already uncrushable until I get another piece of tier 5. Am I on the right track here?

So looks like I will be getting the heroic badge chest piece first although I wish it had shield block rating and block value instead of dodge :/.

I don't get you here.
Those 2 paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

You want block rating/value on the chest, but you're wearing T5 shoulders over T4?

Doesn't make sense man.
Not to mention,why bother with the 2 piece T5 set bonus?
Increased ret aura damage? Horrible compared to either T4 bonus.

My 4 most used gear sets are based on either 2 T4 pieces (Avoidance set & HP set) or 4 T4 pieces (Threat set & Tidewalker set). When I do get the Badge chest I will use that for my Avoidance and HP sets.

I will then have to get T5 for my Block/Hyjal set and keep T4 for my threat set.
Dragonzbane

Postby Erd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:55 am

Dragonzbane wrote:
Erd wrote:I do wear the tier 5 shoulders for the set bonus. I do not feel like the tier 4 shoulders are better since I am already uncrushable until I get another piece of tier 5. Am I on the right track here?

I don't get you here.
Those 2 paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

You want block rating/value on the chest, but you're wearing T5 shoulders over T4?

Doesn't make sense man.
Not to mention,why bother with the 2 piece T5 set bonus?
Increased ret aura damage? Horrible compared to either T4 bonus.

My 4 most used gear sets are based on either 2 T4 pieces (Avoidance set & HP set) or 4 T4 pieces (Threat set & Tidewalker set). When I do get the Badge chest I will use that for my Avoidance and HP sets.

I will then have to get T5 for my Block/Hyjal set and keep T4 for my threat set.

I only have those two pieces of tier 5 so I chose to wear the tier 5 shoulders just for the 2 set bonus which helps for AoE aggro. So I lose some block and block value but so what? I am already uncrushable. The tier 4 bonus is more for single target tanking and off tanking for threat generation. I use tier 5 on tidewalker, and we 1 shot him everytime.

I can see why you would choose the dodge over the block/block value on the chest piece but I guess I wanted to up my AoEing capabilities as well, but at this point, I don't really care. The 46 extra stam I'll get form the chest alone makes me want to buy it.
Erd

Postby adese » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 am

Erd wrote:I only have those two pieces of tier 5 so I chose to wear the tier 5 shoulders just for the 2 set bonus which helps for AoE aggro. So I lose some block and block value but so what? I am already uncrushable. The tier 4 bonus is more for single target tanking and off tanking for threat generation. I use tier 5 on tidewalker, and we 1 shot him everytime.

Block Rating and Block Value are amazing stats to stack when AoE tanking. Since you have many mobs hitting you all at once, the more often you an block, the more threat (when Holy Shield is up) you do and the less damage you take. The Block Value helps you to take even less damage on each block.

In general, I agree that T5 is better for AoE tanking, however you don't want to neglect any block rating or block value you can get for your AoE tanking set.
adese

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:14 am

Erd wrote:I only have those two pieces of tier 5 so I chose to wear the tier 5 shoulders just for the 2 set bonus which helps for AoE aggro. So I lose some block and block value but so what? I am already uncrushable. The tier 4 bonus is more for single target tanking and off tanking for threat generation. I use tier 5 on tidewalker, and we 1 shot him everytime.

To each his own, I guess. :wink:

I only have the T5 legs and I've passed on the Shoulders many, many times. I feel that the T4 shoulders are superior for AoE tanking due to the block value and rating, added to that each block provides more agro.

I firmly believe that the T5 shoulders are the weakest piece in the set and as such I will not waste DKP on them when it could be put to better use. Kael Reward Neck, T5 Helm, T5 gloves, T5 chest, Kael Gloves, or Solarian boots for instance.

T5 is mainly seen as an AoE tanking set yet the shoulders are the only piece that does not fit that mold. They are better for MTing or tanking heavy hitters due to the Parry rating vs block, though.

I've tanked Tidewalker, Al'ar from Progression to Farm Status without the 2piece T5 bonus and never have issues with pulled agro so I don't think it's helping you as much as you think. I also tank adds on Solarian with little trouble but that's a slightly different animal.

Erd wrote:I can see why you would choose the dodge over the block/block value on the chest piece but I guess I wanted to up my AoEing capabilities as well, but at this point, I don't really care. The 46 extra stam I'll get form the chest alone makes me want to buy it.

Just different uses that's all.
For AoE you should use T5 chest, for other tanking the Badge chest.

My eventual AoE tanking set will have 4/5 T5 with T4 shoulders, though I may sub in the Badge legs or pieces of T6 at some later date.
Dragonzbane

Postby Erd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:44 am

Dragonzbane wrote:I firmly believe that the T5 shoulders are the weakest piece in the set and as such I will not waste DKP on them when it could be put to better use. Kael Reward Neck, T5 Helm, T5 gloves, T5 chest, Kael Gloves, or Solarian boots for instance.

My guild does not use dkp

Dragonzbane wrote:T5 is mainly seen as an AoE tanking set yet the shoulders are the only piece that does not fit that mold. They are better for MTing or tanking heavy hitters due to the Parry rating vs block, though.

I def agree. I wish the tier 5 shoulder had block rating and value. I will however continue to use those until I get another piece of tier 5 to fill in the set bonus.

Dragonzbane wrote:My eventual AoE tanking set will have 4/5 T5 with T4 shoulders, though I may sub in the Badge legs or pieces of T6 at some later date.

This is my plan as well. I will get the badge chest first becuase I would not be able to get the tier 5 chest until a much later date. My guild plans to take down Vashj in SSC first before we even attempt Kael in TK. This being said, before I get the tier 5 chestpiece, do you think 4/5 tier 5 with the tier 5 shoulders is better than 3/5 tier 5 with tier 4 shoulders?
Erd

Postby Taeron » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:40 am

What if you have Wrynn leggings and Panza'thar chestplate and just starting SSC.

What do you reckon would be a more appropriate upgrade. I was dead set on the leggings purely for the stamina buff, but this discussion has me doubting my decision.

My plan was: Leggings > Cloak > Chest.
Taeron

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:34 am

Erd wrote:This being said, before I get the tier 5 chestpiece, do you think 4/5 tier 5 with the tier 5 shoulders is better than 3/5 tier 5 with tier 4 shoulders?

Good question.
The problem with using 4/5 T5 for the bonus is that the bonus isn't that great. Compare it to the warrior 2 piece and it's half as good while requiring twice as many pieces and does not give us any threat benefit.

It mostly comes down to whether you think you'll get more DR from the T4 shoulders vs what you'd get out of the T5 bonus over the same period of time.

Conclusion:
WTB good set bonuses.
They did a great job with T4 but went downhill after that.
Dragonzbane

Postby Dragonzbane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 am

Erd, there's a thread about T4 vs T5 shoulders here:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=3599
Dragonzbane

Postby Erd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 am

I decided to hold off on the badge chest for 2 reasons.

1) I picked up the auto-blocker for AoE tanking.
2) If I really wanted the extra stam from the chest piece, I could just wait for the plate chest to drop in ZA

Now since I am short 41 badges, I can still think about what would benfit me most with my badges.

I hope the tier 5 gloves drop tonight so I can switch my tier 5 shoulders back to tier 4 to maximize my AoE effectiveness.
Erd

Postby Ajax » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:43 am

personly i am going for chest belt and cloak first as i have very low dodge atm, 14 badges short as soon as i have those then i am saving up for legs then boots with bracers being last item i go for if i don't have ones from VR by then.
If death comes to us all, then let it come to the DPS first ;)
Ajax

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice