Remove Advertisements

Is my spec really that bad???

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Is my spec really that bad???

Postby Tcud » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:12 am

Hello all, this is my virgin post here.

Anyway, to make a "perfect" build so say Im reading alot in tankspot, wowwiki, maintankadinand wow europe paladins forum. After that I decided to make the following build after I dinged lv80:

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen ... y+Templars

Now some of very good paladin tankers on my server said my build is "fucked" up, and my question, is it that bad? I made my build following some very good theorycrafting from others guide.

I take 2 points in IHoJ instead of DG cause I finding myself using HoJ more and more nowdays. And the filler point in retribution, it was either 1 in benediction or 1 in IBoM, I think 2% mana reduce is better than IBoM since I rarely bless might to other players.

And then there is 3/5 in conviction and 2/2 in PoJ, I think the extra speed is great when things get out of hand in heroics cause there is always something that can go wrong and I need to pick it up fast.

So all in all, is my build that "fucked" up? or do the other tank paladins that complain about my build dont understand? they are very good players themself.
Tcud

Re: Is my spec really that bad???

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:24 am

It's mostly flavor, my specs almost identical, except I like the 2/2 Divine Guardian because it boosts my Sacred Shield and I do tend to use Divine Sacrifice a lot in some fights with heavy splash and less significant boss damage. I also put the dump point in Ret to Improved Judgement, it gives me a little more threat when I'm building second place and not actually being hit.

There's nothing there that should really make folks get upset. Certainly not emotive title and three question marks upset.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Halnoth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 am

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with your spec. The other prot paladins that said your build was dumb are misinformed. This is the base talent configuration (of course there are 3 variable talent points needed to go up the tree in prot which I place in imp HoJ and DS but you can put them anywhere) http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAMuMusIufdxo

Now just some general advice about your spec from me personally and this is in no way necessary just some personal preferences. First you have a point in benediction, I would put it in imp judgements. I do this because I prefer to have a potential low range (but still range) snap aggro ability on the lowest possible cd. It doesn't mess up your rotation as some people will tell you and it is more than likely a better place for that point than benediction. Second, I prefer 2/2 SA simply because I don't like to run out of mana ever and I'd rather not have to use SoW. Again though these are just flavor points, especially the SA but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway.

Note: just as I finished writing this I realized that the paladins you talked to might favor divinity, in which case maybe that is why they dislike your spec. I personally don't like the talent but I have seen people approach fanaticism whilst defending it.
Halnoth

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 am

Halnoth wrote:Note: just as I finished writing this I realized that the paladins you talked to might favor divinity, in which case maybe that is why they dislike your spec. I personally don't like the talent but I have seen people approach fanaticism whilst defending it.

Three points is hardly worth saying, it's fucked up though. Your spec is fine, just not entirely the standard spec most people take.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Tcud » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:14 am

Gamingdevil wrote:
Halnoth wrote:Note: just as I finished writing this I realized that the paladins you talked to might favor divinity, in which case maybe that is why they dislike your spec. I personally don't like the talent but I have seen people approach fanaticism whilst defending it.

Three points is hardly worth saying, it's fucked up though. Your spec is fine, just not entirely the standard spec most people take.

What is the standard spec if I may ask?
Tcud

Postby Dread » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:23 am

Tcud wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:

Your current spec is pretty much standard except the standard spec would choose 2/2 Divine Guardian over 2/2 Imp HoJ. Your current spec as I'm seeing it is in no way "fucked up". I'd just personally prefer the points in DG for damage absorption.
Dread

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

Yep, taking DG over Imp HoJ is more common, but your spec is hardly unreasonable. People are pretty divided over Divinity, so I wouldn't say that taking it or not taking it is "standard".

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Divinity or not typically is a case of whether you want the extra DPS/TPS or the very slight survival increase from divinity. I personally opt for the latter, even though it's pretty unlikely it'll actually save you, it's still slightly more likely to do so than extra DPS/TPS does.

I'm probably switching out divinity for 3.2 in favor of putting the points elsewhere though.
Chicken

Postby badgermonkey » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:32 pm

I prefer the survivability from DS/DG than the overhealing from Divinity, personally ;)
badgermonkey

Postby Dread » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Chicken wrote:Divinity or not typically is a case of whether you want the extra DPS/TPS or the very slight survival increase from divinity. I personally opt for the latter, even though it's pretty unlikely it'll actually save you, it's still slightly more likely to do so than extra DPS/TPS does.

I'm probably switching out divinity for 3.2 in favor of putting the points elsewhere though.

In my opinion, if you're confident in your healers, Divinity is a waste of points. Competent healers will keep you topped off regardless of an extra 5% healing gain to you (that they wouldn't get with any other tank class) and thus most of the bonus from those talents would go to overhealing.

If your healers aren't fantastic, then it might be worth considering. It'd help your healers bring you from low hp to topped off faster. Again, if your healers are competent, they can easily do this without you wasting the 5 talent points. Luckily, I have great healers.
Dread

Postby vegardhv » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:36 am

Tcud wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:

I see you changed to DG and +1p in judgements. I find the choice between DG and imp HOJ hard. DG you can use in certain situations only, when you don't have adds/bosses on you. Better/longer sacred shield is ok though. Imp HOJ is nice when you can help with interrupting stuff (40 sec cooldown is loong), also stunning things in heroics comes in handy when your party are at low gear levels.
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Postby Chicken » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 am

Dread wrote:
Chicken wrote:Divinity or not typically is a case of whether you want the extra DPS/TPS or the very slight survival increase from divinity. I personally opt for the latter, even though it's pretty unlikely it'll actually save you, it's still slightly more likely to do so than extra DPS/TPS does.

In my opinion, if you're confident in your healers, Divinity is a waste of points. Competent healers will keep you topped off regardless of an extra 5% healing gain to you (that they wouldn't get with any other tank class) and thus most of the bonus from those talents would go to overhealing.

If your healers aren't fantastic, then it might be worth considering. It'd help your healers bring you from low hp to topped off faster. Again, if your healers are competent, they can easily do this without you wasting the 5 talent points. Luckily, I have great healers.
I found both Conviction/Crusade and Divinity an equal waste of points, so I went for the option that might at least potentially save me. As I said, I do know it's unlikely to make a difference, but it still has a larger chance to save me than conviction/crusade do. ;)
Chicken

Postby Tcud » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:59 am

I see you changed to DG and +1p in judgements. I find the choice between DG and imp HOJ hard. DG you can use in certain situations only, when you don't have adds/bosses on you. Better/longer sacred shield is ok though. Imp HOJ is nice when you can help with interrupting stuff (40 sec cooldown is loong), also stunning things in heroics comes in handy when your party are at low gear levels.[/quote]

Yeah, man do I miss the IHoJ last night, sometime I press 1 and it said ability not ready :/ and the 1 point in Imp judgements is quite nice actually, can be messy at first but after ya learn...
Tcud

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:51 am

Chicken wrote:I found both Conviction/Crusade and Divinity an equal waste of points, so I went for the option that might at least potentially save me. As I said, I do know it's unlikely to make a difference, but it still has a larger chance to save me than conviction/crusade do. ;)

As your DPS gears up, you may find other benefits to Crusade and Conviction. Staying alive is job #1, but keeping the boss from eating your mage is job #2.
honorshammer

Postby Dread » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:20 am

vegardhv wrote:I see you changed to DG and +1p in judgements. I find the choice between DG and imp HOJ hard. DG you can use in certain situations only, when you don't have adds/bosses on you. Better/longer sacred shield is ok though. Imp HOJ is nice when you can help with interrupting stuff (40 sec cooldown is loong), also stunning things in heroics comes in handy when your party are at low gear levels.

The improvement to your Sacred Shield alone makes DG more valuable than Imp HoJ anytime you're taking damage.
Dread

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents