Remove Advertisements

Iron Council, two pally tanks.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Iron Council, two pally tanks.

Postby Hatthorn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:35 pm

This is my ulduar 10 team problem. I'm generally main tank and another pally is offtank. How do I tank the other two adds, including the iron dwarf who's name elude's me at the monment, when I don't have any real spell reflect like warriors or spell migitation like how DK tanks have? The only thing that I can think of to do is use my stun, but I would be losing out on threat generation if I specced into the 20 second stun version. Can you interrupt using avenger's shield as well ?
Hatthorn

Re: Iron Council, two pally tanks.

Postby smeej » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 pm

You tank Steelbreaker and have the other pally get on Molgeim and keep they away from Brundir. He doesn't move around or melee so you can basically ignore him. Have a dps interrupt or move him if necessary. Once Steelbreaker dies (assuming you are doing it in that order) you'll want to go and pick up the dwarf, and he'll now start meleeing people.

Or you can do what I was doing before I knew Brundir was nonthreatening in phase one and tank Steel and Molgeim yourself. Man that sucked.
smeej

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 am

I believe on 10, as long as Brundir isn't the only one remaining, he's vulnerable to all stuns, interrupts, and silences.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Ard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:59 am

We did this with two paladins. We put steelbreaker by the door and I tankd the two about halfway in the room, more or less where they are when you start the fight. The only real problem is if the little one gets a power rune under him. When that happened I used avenger's shield to silence him and move him out of it. alternatively you can have a shaman (healer or ele) stand near you and have him interrupt when he's in a rune. When he's silenced that way you can move him a bit.
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Postby Malthrax » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:29 am

One paly on Steel, one paly on Molgeim, and just ignore Brundir. Start the pull when Brundir pats around behind Steelbreaker - he'll glue himself to the floor and just toss chain lightnings around. Tell your healers to "deal with it".

Once Steelbreaker is dead, whoever was tanking him can go stand in Brundir's face and STUN him out of as many lightning-whirls as possible. STUN is the only way to stop lightning-whirl - nothing else works - and don't worry about diminishing returns. You're not trying to keep him stunlocked, just stop his cast of that particular spell. Drag him out of any blue runes that pop up, interrupt whatever chain-lightnings you can. Run away from the overload - its only like 20 yards.

If you have a hunter, tell him to put up nature resistance... aspect of the wild?

We run 2 tank, 2 1/2 healers, 5 1/2 DPS, and do it this way every week (the 1/2 healer/dps is a tree'kin who swaps back and forth depending.. he's tree for this fight). Used to run paly/war, but the warrior can't tank anything that requires movement, so... *shrug*
Malthrax

Postby Senador » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:08 am

Once Steelbreaker is dead, whoever was tanking him can go stand in Brundir's face and STUN him out of as many lightning-whirls as possible. STUN is the only way to stop lightning-whirl - nothing else works - and don't worry about diminishing returns.

I don't think thats accurate...

First, until Brundir is alone, Silences, Stuns and Interupts all work on Chain Lightning and Lightning Whirl. Overloads you still need to deal with but are fairly trivial.

On the pull, Exorcism Molgeim, then run past Brundir and Avenger's Shield him, this will silence him for a few moments and bring him back to you a couple steps. After that, tank them on top of each other, if you are a blood elf, Arcane Torrent, if not Avenger's Shield while there is a blue rune underneath of them.

In phase 2, if you are having a lot of trouble doing this solo, make a rogue, DK, warrior or Shaman come back with you to interupt; the enrage timer is laughably long (15 minutes) so just control it and focus on interupting Whirls, while the raid finish off Molgeim.
Senador

Postby Malthrax » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:30 am

Senador wrote: I don't think thats accurate...

*shrug*

We've done it successfully this way every week so far. Initially I tried avenger's shield and arcane torrent to stop the lightning whirl, and we had a rogue up there trying to kick it - worked fine for chain lightnings, had zero effect on lightning whirl, so we gave up.

Maybe it was changed in the long line of 10-man Ulduar nerfs.

Anyways, we've found the chain lightning damage from Brundir to be laughable in 10-man, so we don't even bother "tanking" him until Steelbreaker's dead.

ymmv, and all that.
Malthrax

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:35 pm

All interrupts most definitely work on Lightning whirl.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Conaan! » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:05 am

Malthrax wrote:
Senador wrote: I don't think thats accurate...

*shrug*

We've done it successfully this way every week so far. Initially I tried avenger's shield and arcane torrent to stop the lightning whirl, and we had a rogue up there trying to kick it - worked fine for chain lightnings, had zero effect on lightning whirl, so we gave up.

Maybe it was changed in the long line of 10-man Ulduar nerfs.

Anyways, we've found the chain lightning damage from Brundir to be laughable in 10-man, so we don't even bother "tanking" him until Steelbreaker's dead.

ymmv, and all that.

more than likely your problem is missile travel time, just like heroic throw and Gag order, it takes about .5 seconds after he is hit by the damage to gain the debuff, and if you are not giving yourself enough time to let the debuff go off, you will miss the interrupt
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 am

All our original kills had me tanking both Steelbreaker and Molgheim. We had a DK in the back that would DG Brundir out of runes and interrupt what he could.

Lately we realized we really don't have to worry about Brundir on the first phase, so I tank Steelbreaker (yay self-dispel) and the DK tanks Molgheim. Occasionally we have our DK run back and DG Brundir out of runes, but it's low priority.

When we switch, I grab Molgheim, and the DK goes and interrupts Brundir's lighting whirls and moves him out of runes.

Last phase is easy.

I expect with two pally tanks it won't be much different, you'd just use AS to move him out of runes and hammer to interrupt on P1/2. If one of your pallies has the 20-second hammer you should be fine. Just prioritize interrupting the whirl.

Good luck!
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon