Post 2.1 Build Thoughts

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Post 2.1 Build Thoughts

Postby Mavrix » Fri May 18, 2007 4:42 am

This is the build I'm planning on after 2.1 goes live. Giving up precision is unfortunate, giving up guardian's favor doesn't seem to matter all that much (can only get one BoP off during most of the boss fights where it seems useful even when it's improved, haven't needed it for aggro regrab really), giving up reckoning . . . the more avoidance you have the less you get hit and the less it procs (though I will miss it) and imp SoR with the new 1h spec seem to be more reliable "all the time" sources for threat than a proc anyway, I think I'll be OK without imp judgement as well (won't be spending mana quite as fast either).

(Holy run-on sentence, Batman.)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qVVZVbtIx0dMtxoV0x

See what you think.

Edit: the 2 points in precision are reserved for Imp Holy Shield
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Lev » Fri May 18, 2007 7:33 am

If you are tanking with Seal of Righteousness, you dont want to miss Reckoning! Even if the imp. SoR will give you 15% more dmg... i did no calculations on this but i think it will be about the same dmg with both. And you are missing precision, wich (in my sense) is one of the most important skills to put points in as a protection pally.
Lev

Postby Questioner » Fri May 18, 2007 11:22 am

Lev wrote:If you are tanking with Seal of Righteousness, you dont want to miss Reckoning! Even if the imp. SoR will give you 15% more dmg... i did no calculations on this but i think it will be about the same dmg with both. And you are missing precision, wich (in my sense) is one of the most important skills to put points in as a protection pally.

I did my own testing, and on the PTR reckoning was not better than 1H spec or Imp SoR. I also rank precision quite low myself....interesting.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Dorvan » Fri May 18, 2007 11:34 am

Questioner wrote:
Lev wrote:If you are tanking with Seal of Righteousness, you dont want to miss Reckoning! Even if the imp. SoR will give you 15% more dmg... i did no calculations on this but i think it will be about the same dmg with both. And you are missing precision, wich (in my sense) is one of the most important skills to put points in as a protection pally.

I did my own testing, and on the PTR reckoning was not better than 1H spec or Imp SoR. I also rank precision quite low myself....interesting.

Hm, I'm going to have to collect some data the next time I tank...when I'm grinding reckoning adds a bit over 5% to my overall DPS, and that's without SoR (since I'm running SoL/SoW while AoE grinding).
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 am

It's pretty hard to compare reckoning threat to imp SoR threat since reckoning relies on being hit. I'd personally favor reckoning, as fast-hitting bosses are kind of our forte (particularly post-2.1) which adds to the proc, but imp SoR will probably be more of an increase overall.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jadlene » Wed May 23, 2007 5:51 pm

If you're going to be keeping up JoTC then surely 3/3 Imp SoTC/JoTC is greater than 5/5 Imp SoR/JoR. One gives you 15% on one seal/judge. The other gives you 15% on ALL holy damage. And it only costs 3 talent points instead of 5.
Jadlene

heh

Postby Mavrix » Wed May 23, 2007 9:37 pm

Not a bad point, however I'm finding myself having to keep JoW up to keep enough mana incoming.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
Mavrix

Postby Raskii » Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 pm

I haven't been able to look at the OP's spec yet since WoWHead is down for maintenance ATM, but I did a little playing around myself and came up with the following build.

0 Holy/46 Protection/15 Retribution

Essentially what I did was drop Guardian's Favor, Redoubt, and Shield Specialization for Improved Holy Shield and (in the Ret tree), Vindication.

I know that generally Redoubt is used since it's a stepping stone to Shield Specialization, but because the damage reduction from Blocking id so minimal for end-game raids, I decided to bypass it and points in Vindication instead.

I haven't tried this build yet (obviously, since I'm a Healadin ATM), but I think the Str. & Agi. debuff from Vindication might actually end up generating the same level of damage mitigation. And, since it stays up for 10 sec. at a time, it's "more reliable" because one proc can affect 3, 4, or even 5 attacks. It would also be useful in OT situations since it would reduce damage dealt to the MT.
Raskii

Postby Jensaarai » Tue May 29, 2007 3:03 pm

iirc, Vindication does not work on raid bosses and even some trash.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Daromire » Tue May 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Jensaaria is correct.
Daromire
Maintankadonor

Postby Furiouso » Tue May 29, 2007 3:32 pm

I've been toying with the idea of taking a minor in healing for Imp. SoR and for better mana efficiency and healing power when I do need to help with healing. Here's my proposed build:

20/41/0

My current build is 0/49/12 and includes Imp. Devo, 3/5 Wep. Ex., Benediction, Imp. Judgement and Deflection, all of which I'd lose for Divine Intellect, Imp. SoR, Healing Light (12% on heals), Imp. LoH (which would be nice for tanking) and Illumination.

Is anyone running Kara and heroics with a prot/holy build like this? How is it?

I also might consider losing Imp. SoR for Spiritual Focus for PvP healing. Not sure yet, since I'd lose Imp. Judgement both ways and might need a way to make up that threat. Is Healing Light applied before or after gear and BoL?
Last edited by Furiouso on Tue May 29, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furiouso

Postby Alixander » Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Jensaarai wrote:iirc, Vindication does not work on raid bosses and even some trash.
Just checking to make sure: Vindication doesn't work on any raid bosses at all, or is it a case of "some do, some don't"?
Alixander

Postby Furiouso » Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 pm

No raid boss is vulnerable to it, as far as I know. Anything you can stun, maybe. But I only wish I could stun a raid boss.
Furiouso

Return to Basic Training & Talents