[10] Thorim hardmode (Lose your illusions)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Thorim hardmode (Lose your illusions)

Postby Threatco » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:02 am

Was working on this last night for a good 3 hours and could use some tips.
I see there is a 25 thread but the positioning/composition is the main issue.

Arena/gauntlet phase is easy obviously.

What is an issue seems to be clothies going splat.

Everyone is avoiding charged bolt. (Most of the time)
Everyone is avoiding blizzard.
Doing these 2 how ever causes us to momentarily become clumped and insta deaths from a 4x linked chain lightning become possible.

Edit: I think now it may be half and half.

As much as possible we have the 4 ranged and 2 healers stack in a buddy system, 10 yards from everyone else. The 2 tanks stack infront of boss. 3 ranged/heal pairs behind tanks. 2 melee behind boss. Nice and smooth until it's not.

For most people, Sif is doing by far more damage then Thorim on the dps/healers. CL chaining to 2 people is not a big deal. But when it does chain it's usualy instant kill if they are not full health with 3 and total if 4. Mabey it depends on his stack.

Our weakness was obviouly clothies, 2 mages and a warlock who got gibbed easy.

We got him to 20% with a very early warlock death, and then 2 mage deaths at around 40%.

Our CD rotation was that when DK tank was tanking at 6 stacks he would Ice bound Fortitude before unbalancing strike to start to rotation.

1) Ice Bound fortitude.
2) Paladin tanking , priest Divine Spirit.
3) DK tanking, Hand o Sac from tankadin.
4) Paladin tanking, Divine Protection
5) DK Tanking, IBF
6) Paladin Tanking, Ret Bubble, Divine Guardian.

We expected to kill him by here.

So my question is, what is the best way to do this in terms of positioning and raid composition? Diagrams are encouraged.

Last edited by Threatco on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Re: [10] Thorim hardmode (Lose your illusions)

Postby Conaan! » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:34 am

theres a spot between blizzards and in range of CL that ranged can go to, shown on alot of 25 man hard mode videos (StratFU one shows it), though i know on 10 man, my guild personally just told everyone to dodge blizzards and not to get close to melee/tanks, and it was done in 2 tries, you really should only need about 4 cd's total, we personally used
1) My shield wall
2) Warriors shield wall
3) Pain suppression
4) warriors last stand/My HoSac+Dsac+bubble (which i didnt get off, as pain suppression dropped a second before US hit and i died)

put your melee in 2 clumps, KT style, and have your tanks stack and never move, ever

have your ranged in 2 camps, each camp staying more to one side of the room, and if using 3 healers, try to sit the tank healer behind the tanks, and have him yell out for when he has to move because of blizzard/lightning
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Threatco » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:54 am

Your priest goes disc? Is that really ideal? Seems the raid healing is more of an issue then the predictable tank hits.

Also when thorim channels a link to the wall on a side where everyone is, signaling that charged bolt will be headed that way soon, is it possible for ranged to move to other side of room without chaining chain lightning?

It seems every time they have to run through middle to get to a safe side, they get gibbed. Is it possible to strafe around to the other side somehow.?
Threatco

Postby Worldie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 am

You don't need to move to the other side of the room, the lightning arc is 90°.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 am

We kinda just random spread around the room and noone dies, as long as your priest/palas dispell frost nova fast to avoid nova + lightning charge jib. Are you missing some stamina buffs like kings, fortitude or command shout? There really shouldnt be a deadly combo that would kill a caster in this fight, you have plenty of space to use to not have anyone get chain lightning bounced.

Make sure frost res aura and nature res aura is up (frost res is more important).

I also wouldnt blow your tank CDs that early - thorim doesnt hit that harsh in 10 men until later stacks (if you have slow DPS), save them towards the end.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Threatco » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 am

Im thinking some of it was nova - charge gib.

We didn't have warrior shout, but we had the rest. Mabey that could help alot. Noob question, does it have 100% uptime?

Tanks have to move to avoid charged bolt, right?

the ranged didnt realy run through the middle so much as run through each other on blizzard/charge. I think i can try telling ranged to strafe as more safe area becomes available, so people running from blizzard on other side of room have space.

Me and the ret were counting on the priest to mass dispell, but it would not cost us much to pay more attention to cleanse. Especialy with charge being predictable and all. This may be a big thing.

If all dps stay alive we will have him dead by 9 stacks at the latest i think. We are pretty good in that department.

We could drop the DS, And just go to a 4 set. Hand o Sac, DP, IBF, ret bubble DG.

Anyone know off hand (I am at work ) how long it is between each stack adding on thorim. And the time between ub strike?
Threatco

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Well commanding shout is 100% uptime if the warrior renews it on time :P, but an imp does the same thing (slightly less hp).
Tanks dont actually _need_ to avoid lighnting charge, it wont kill, I would avoid it in 10 men tho since accidentally moving the boss isnt as chaotic as its 25 men counterpart. Usually very fine movements is enough to avoid it.

If i recall, you dont acutally need to move from blizzard - between the outer ring and center circle, the area is never hit by blizzard, ever. And if your ranged spread far enough, nova wouldnt hit more than 2 ppl, so u can just single dispell those away.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Invisusira » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:44 pm

that's a pretty nice screenshot
Invisusira

Postby Worldie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:41 am

If you really have problems surviving the combos, Frost Resist gear (2 pieces is enough) does wonders.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Threatco » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:40 pm

Woot got it down.

Positioning is the key. Tanks not moving is pro. Had 2 ranged groups of 3. each with a marked "captain" who they followed, and the 2 groups stayed apart as they moved to avoid charge.

Took 3 tries.

Then I went and got knock knock knock. No big deal. :P
Threatco

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon