Remove Advertisements

Cot:Old Hillsbrad

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Cot:Old Hillsbrad

Postby Kivas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Chain ran old hillsbrad the other day with some guildies. I had no problem aoe tanking the entire instance, and held aggro pretty much the entire time. In comes last boss with the constant debuffing, I just wasnt able to get his attention, and blew all my mana on rebuffing RFS/SoR. All three attempts the 70 druid had to tank and i was relegated swinging my 2h =/

Any suggestions?
Kivas

Re: Cot:Old Hillsbrad

Postby somegaijin42 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Kivas wrote:Chain ran old hillsbrad the other day with some guildies. I had no problem aoe tanking the entire instance, and held aggro pretty much the entire time. In comes last boss with the constant debuffing, I just wasnt able to get his attention, and blew all my mana on rebuffing RFS/SoR. All three attempts the 70 druid had to tank and i was relegated swinging my 2h =/

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about the debuffing, and just roll all out on threat? Honestly, I never noticed that he removes buffs, because I was too busy using my mana to generate threat every time I've run that instance.
somegaijin42

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Actually for last boss he's just annoying, make sure you have plenty of buffs (get also useless ones, amplify magic, thorns, etc), spam your Righteous Fury and seals if they get dispelled, profit. Pop Avenging Wrath as soon as he comes down since when you are full buffed the chances for it to be dispelled are lower.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Caelia » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:07 pm

user lower ranks seals up all the time, uses less mana. mana pots are your friend and try to judge wisdom on the guy right away.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Vagrant » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:58 am

I suppose a mage's spellsteal still works on the Disrupt Magic.
Does it?
Vagrant

Postby Winchester » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:40 am

If you have any player with you that can dispel beneficial buffs of hostiles, just tell them to click it every 10 seconds.

It's an aura that he has that eats buffs, he re-applies it every 10seconds.
I usually play with my shaman friend and he just spams lightning bolts and presses purge once in awhile to see if he can purge anything.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby tuberon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:46 pm

Honestly, it may be the groups I've run with, but I've never really had a problem with epoch hunter.

I find that making sure you have a mana pot handy tends to help.
Warning: Above poster makes no claims to validity or sanity of said post.

Also... cake.
tuberon
Maintankadonor

Postby Gyre » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 am

Tuberon wrote:Honestly, it may be the groups I've run with, but I've never really had a problem with epoch hunter.

I find that making sure you have a mana pot handy tends to help.

yeah I must be doing it with a decent group also, I've never had any trouble with him.
Gyre

Postby Kellann » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Different problem, same instance.

First off - I'm fairly sure it was the healer's fault :) and the 2/3 crappy DPSers sure helped the trash have loads of time to wail on me.

I'm just hoping that the initial trash/patrol pulls are "hard" rather than the "dirtnap insanity" they appeared to be with that particular group. I usually sit 14-15k unbuffed HP, 16-17k armor, uncrushable, with 400-550 SD (gave ranges as I swap peices in and out for effect)....which usually means that I'm downchecking or tanking without pants for heroic trash/bosses which "don't hit hard enough".

Just really looking for reassurance that a pally who can MT or OT at the SSC/TK level shouldn't have trouble in there with a better group (up till the last boss about which this thread was made).

:)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Exodius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm

It's been a long time for me since I have tanked that place. In theory though you would think that the final boss would be a pain. :?

I remember I have run it twice, maybe three or four times now to the end. Haven't tried it on heroic yet.

The first time my threat rotation was terrible. I would judge cruader on trash, making my tps pretty poor to start with. We had a dps warrior in the group who was a jerk and kept pulling aggro. It was partly my fault for having a bad rotation, which I have since fixed up. But when the final boss came, I was suffocated for mana and died. The warrior picked the boss up and we managed to kill him. That was, however, when I did not know how to properly tank.

Since that time I learnt how to rotate properly. Yeah, the boss has an anti-magic buff aura. In theory he could be spell stolen, removed magic or purged. With the removal of detect magic so now all buffs can be seen all the time it would be even easier to see when his aura is up to be removed, without having a mage in the party.

But we are paladins. We can front load threats, and very large amounts of threat too.

Pop your wings. Throw your frisbee. Judge and reseal righteosness. Consercrate.

I never bothered to re-put on righteous defence. It's a very big chunk of mana for something that will not last long and not really get a full benefit at all if his aura is up.

I would put holy shield up, but it would go down. That's okay. It does it's thing when it can.

What I do though is wait for judgement to come up, then judge righteousness, then use my massive threat lead to keep me in front.

I would normally find my threat lead is so big I could just coast with that and autoswing.

Save your mana for taunts if you need it. After the taunt, consercrate, holy shield, all that stuff to get your threat lead back up. That's normal taunt tactics though, you should know that already. :P

So I didn't find him to hard, to be honest. Just remember to put everything you have into the first 10 seconds, then moderate yourself if you need it.
Exodius

Postby Invisusira » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Do remember that Righteous Fury is currently bugged and takes 20,000 mana to cast atm. Which, you know, is fun.
Invisusira

Postby jere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:57 pm

I typically go all out and then as soon as my RF is eaten, I swap to a melee dps weapon (80-90ish dps), rebuff RF as soon as I can and dump mana on him. Seems to work well.
jere

Postby Stylaan » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:25 am

Kellann wrote:Different problem, same instance.

First off - I'm fairly sure it was the healer's fault :) and the 2/3 crappy DPSers sure helped the trash have loads of time to wail on me.

I'm just hoping that the initial trash/patrol pulls are "hard" rather than the "dirtnap insanity" they appeared to be with that particular group. I usually sit 14-15k unbuffed HP, 16-17k armor, uncrushable, with 400-550 SD (gave ranges as I swap peices in and out for effect)....which usually means that I'm downchecking or tanking without pants for heroic trash/bosses which "don't hit hard enough".

Just really looking for reassurance that a pally who can MT or OT at the SSC/TK level shouldn't have trouble in there with a better group (up till the last boss about which this thread was made).

:)

Probably your group, the lookout patrols are designed to be annoying, you can either avoid them and clear the houses (thus despawning them once the fires are lit) or kill them.

Little-known-fact:
-They're immune to all magical forms of CC but can be pulled via Scatter Shot or Blind and won't spawn extra guards. Be mindful that a rogue will typically get aggro before he gets into Blind range due to the accompanying tracker hound having stealth detection, that said, it's still possible to stealth up and get the blind off before the reinforcements are summoned.
Stylaan

Postby Pizbit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 pm

Honestly when I tanked OHB I kinda didn't know/notice about the buffs being removed -_-. Just went in like I always did :D
Seemed to work!
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Oriax » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:06 am

OT:
After getting my ass kicked on the 2nd boss in heroic BM (spellreflect or whatever made me take insane amounts of dmg, even though I paid attention to it and didn't judge/conse), we thought we'd try heroic Hillsbrad.
First pull, unplanned due to the dog-dude seeing the eager warr and stopped to shout. Too close to the first house so we got them aswell, plus the 2 reinforcements, chaos reigned and healer got pwned. Had about 3-4 more wipes due to those pat's popping up and getting all 4 on me made it rough on my healer.

Having some sort of CC would've helped I guess, we ran with holy-priest, shad-priest, lock, fury warr and me.
Didn't make it less hard that the reinforcement-guys hit really hard. Or maybe just me/my gear that sucks balls.
Afterwards we all thought it had felt like we had ress-sickness and were several lvl's below 70. Won't go to the end of the world to do that one again for sure.
Last edited by Oriax on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oriax

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics