Remove Advertisements

The lurker Below

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

The lurker Below

Postby matchbox » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:38 am

My guild is gonna be attempting him tonight any suggestions on what i'd be doing best during that fight?
matchbox

Postby Tauxalot » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:49 am

Nothing really screams out "You can't tank Lurker" so it really just depends on what you have. I handle the adds on my island and kill them while the others are CC'ed. I then island jump and knock them out one island at a time. The rest of the guys on the inner ring deal with the 3 guardians, one being CC'ed the other 2 are tanked and killed.

Lurker isn't too bad for MTing tho, nothing really is going to hinder you.
BEWBZ or GTFO
Tauxalot

Postby PsiVen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 pm

As far as I can tell, Lurker can't be hit with Consecration, so I wouldn't tank him unless your melee DPS has a history of never pulling aggro (lol).

I mostly spot heal phase 1, stun/smack adds on my island until they get ganked, then go break a Guardian sheep and tank it to get ganked.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Phaex » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:34 pm

i healbot on lurker, because there is nothing else to do really. Adds are being cced, and our MT is still somewhat better geared :)
Phaex

Postby Bosutei » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:16 pm

PsiVen wrote:As far as I can tell, Lurker can't be hit with Consecration, so I wouldn't tank him unless your melee DPS has a history of never pulling aggro (lol).

I mostly spot heal phase 1, stun/smack adds on my island until they get ganked, then go break a Guardian sheep and tank it to get ganked.

Thankfully, the Consecration problem is getting fixed in 2.2.
Bosutei

Postby Mortehl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:05 pm

PsiVen wrote:As far as I can tell, Lurker can't be hit with Consecration, so I wouldn't tank him unless your melee DPS has a history of never pulling aggro (lol).

I tank Lurker in the water 100% of the time. Yes, Consecration hits him there.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Dragonzbane » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:30 am

Bosutei wrote:Thankfully, the Consecration problem is getting fixed in 2.2.

2.2 lol

Anyway, we recently had tanking issues as we lost two of our Warrior tanks, one has been without internet for a month and a half and or MT went back to school and got stuck with a couple of night classes.

Normally, I tank a platform or just DPS/off-heal.

Lurker is farmed content for us up until last night and I want to make sure that I wasn't the cause of most of the issues. Hot Water not fish.

Of course I read the strat, know the strat for the past and even asked the MT for any tips before we started, basically all he told me was where to stand and to jump in and out of the water.

Positioning:
We MT him @6 o'clock or south on the Minimap and I am OTing at 3 o'clock on the minimap. I stand at the inner edge of the ring and step in the water during spout.

The first couple of attempts I stayed in the water after a spout and upon completion Lurker attacked me hit me 3 to 5 times and I died.

After those attempts I switched from my 16.5K HP threat gear to my 17K HP normal gear that get more life and avoidance.

I also went from staying in the water after spout to jumping up to the rim after spout. What happened then was I'd get hit and knocked back then any melee that were in range got chomped.

To add to the fun we had connection issues all night and we had @ least one person DC every attempt. Our MT once, two of our priest a couple times, our guardian sheeping mage a couple times and on of our locks lost power and was done for the night.

So was it:
Bad positioning on my part?
Bad healing on me after spout?
MT not getting him back soon enough after spout?
Rogues coming in too soon?
Or just a bad night in general?

We even had one attempt take 5 minites to get him to surface.
Dragonzbane

Postby YoYoMa » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 am

We have 2 warriors MT him from the front. I basically am just there to keep JoW up while he's above the water :) Pretty easy job for that phase. My real work comes into play during the submerge part.

We let the platforms take care of themselves while the two warriors and me split up and each tank one of the adds on the middle platform. I grab the middle one (which will make sense in a second) while the melee move to one of the warrior's adds.

When that add is down to about 40% i call the 2nd warrior to drag their add over to me while the melee are still finishing off the first add. When that other add is near I taunt it off the remaining warrior and I tank 2 adds. That frees up the two warriors to get back in position while I keep the two adds in the back of the inner ring. Meanwhile the melee finish off my original add which I have plenty of aggro while I swap my focus to my 2nd add.

Since I'm close enough to the back platform the ranged help out on my adds when they are done. And this always leaves us enough room to finish off the inner ring adds in the cases where lurker re-emerges before we've killed them all. Works like a charm every time.

The melee moves to one of the warr
YoYoMa

Postby Neuron » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:22 am

My only note is that if you use your ranged taunt on the adds that come to the lurker circle while standing on one of the islands near the other adds, there is a chance that you will get a bunch of adds that instantly disappear from near lurker and then reappear on top of you. I ended up with 6 adds on me and it was totally unexpected. Luckily, we are pally tanks and the healer was ready and ranged dps just aoed. Worked beautifully actually. But I don't know if it is intended. I mean the adds instantly all ported on top of me. Was rather hilarious.
http://www.ardentdefender.com - A combat log parsing API
Neuron

Postby Vagrant » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:15 am

Hi.
So... I tried to tank this thing and after three utter wipes it was time to quit for that night.
Most of the raid being newbs there, the thing that killed us was of course Spout.

Now, i also got hit by Spout. Need help for future reference.
BigWigs tells me the Spout cooldown and gives warning on 3 seconds. I suppose that it is then that i back up and dive, but when do i surface?

Maybe i did surface too early and in the wrong place, because after Spout doing over 360 degrees (clockwise) it hits me and sends me flying, fatal damage being applied in mid-air.

My position was in the watery part, in front of the big pillar, you know the place. Scalding Water was on. I also had the duty of taking the Guardian on the platform to my right, but we never got that far, lawl.

First time in SSC, quite a pleasant trip. Three tanks, me and two druids. 1-2 fury warriors and one arms. Elevator got 3 people.
Vagrant

Postby adese » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:08 am

Vagrant wrote:Hi.
So... I tried to tank this thing and after three utter wipes it was time to quit for that night.
Most of the raid being newbs there, the thing that killed us was of course Spout.

Surviving through Spout is the key to the fight, IMO. Once the vast majority of the raid has learned how to not die from Spout, you are most of the way to taking Lurker down.

Vagrant wrote:Now, i also got hit by Spout. Need help for future reference.
BigWigs tells me the Spout cooldown and gives warning on 3 seconds. I suppose that it is then that i back up and dive, but when do i surface?

Maybe i did surface too early and in the wrong place, because after Spout doing over 360 degrees (clockwise) it hits me and sends me flying, fatal damage being applied in mid-air.

I haven't ever MTed him (I generally tank one of the warrior adds that spawn in the middle ring). However, if I was going to MT him I'd jump into the middle water when I get the Spout warning (I use Deadly Boss Mods, it has a bar for spout and does a raid warning with about 5 seconds to go I think), and then either stay there until spout is done or jump out, and get back in once it was coming back around to me.

Note that Spout travels 370 degrees, not 360, and it can go either clockwise or counterclockwise. In any case, you need to be prepared to dodge it twice per attempt.

Vagrant wrote:My position was in the watery part, in front of the big pillar, you know the place. Scalding Water was on. I also had the duty of taking the Guardian on the platform to my right, but we never got that far, lawl.

Do you mean one of the hunter-type adds that spawn on an island? You would do better to tank one of the warrior types that spawn in the middle ring, IMO. Not only is there less distance for you to travel, but then you don't have to deal with getting to the island and then picking up aggro. We make sure to have 2 CCers (hunters and mages generally) per island, and it is their responsibility to kill the adds on their island (CC 1, dps the other, then dps the first). Once their add is down, they help dps down the warrior add on the middle ring that is closest to their island. When done correctly, the melee doesn't even get a chance to hit the 3rd add because the ranged has taken him down already.
adese

Postby kvark » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:16 am

Tank him in the water and only go up when he submerges to do the adds. Healers will keep you up as the occational 500 dmg is peanuts for them. This will remove some of the reasons for a wipe there, and as soon as your healers and dps'ers have figured out the sprout and the adds - you'll kill him on first go, guaranteed.
kvark

Postby Vagrant » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:28 am

Thank you.
Especially on the 370 degrees part.
And yes, maybe the RL was a bit confused about the spawn points of the adds, but one of the warrior types was to be my target.
The one nearest to the platform.

Will do better in the future with Spout, staying in the water in front of the Lurker.
I suppose a keybind to dive straight down is possible without having the stupid "sit" happening when on land.
Vagrant

Postby mconeone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:02 pm

The simplest way to get in and out of the water is to not use your mouse. Walk using your keyboard, and make sure you are in far enough that the platform is not keeping you up. You don't have to dive at all, spouts will not hit you. Getting in is a snap, use just walk to the platform and jump when you stop or get close.

Using the mouse can put you in spout range or under a platform unless you do it correctly. With the keyboard there's much less room for error.
mconeone

Postby Vencedor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am

Spouts will NOT hit the people in the ring of water where Lurker is?
Does this only include the MT or also melee DPS?

Also, I had something weird happen to me in one of our attempts on him last night.
Immediately following a Whirl, I was hit by something that was NOT a Spout (Geyser?). This shot me pretty far away and when I finally got back in range, I got stuck and then was hit by a Spout.

Any idea what it was that knocked me back the first time? I didn't think the Geyser would go after the MT?

Our biggest issue on him thusfar seem to be everyone in the raid avoiding spouts. On our best attempt (65%) we had 2 die to a spout, and they were 2 responsible for CCing the platform adds.
So, when the adds came, the lack of CC caused problems in the raid, obviously.

Also, when you guys tank him, how many healers do you typically have on you? I only had 2-3 last night (2 for the majority of the attempts). Where should healers be positioned as well? We had 1 on each platform and 3 more in the center platform behind Lurker.

Thoughts/Suggestions?
Vencedor

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern