Glyph of SoV - Expertise cap

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Glyph of SoV - Expertise cap

Postby Leuthas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 pm

I've run into a bit of touble with my glyph setup. I have Glyph of DP, HotR and Sov currently (armory says different, it's messed up) however I have a slight problem...

Normally, we pick up the SoV glyph for the extra boost to expertise, however because of the large amount of expertise I have on my gear at the moment, I am already above the expertise soft cap (at 26 right now). So, I recall a chart denoting the benefit of expertise in Theck's thread, however the threat is so darned long I can't find the chart again... I've been wondering if the extra 10 expertise rating from the SoV glyph is still best for threat generation, even though I am already capped. The best alternative I see would be the Judgement glyph, any ideas or numbers?

By the way, I am looking for the best threat generation here, so whichever will provide more threat is ideal. After I get rid of (upgrade) some of my gear chocked up with expertise, I'll likely swich back to SoV glyph.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Re: Glyph of SoV - Expertise cap

Postby Cylan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

If I recall correctly, Glyph of SoV is especially good when you're under dodge cap, and still superior TPS when you're above it.

I believe the theckd's post was discussing TPS of other glyphs (exorcism, judgement, AS), but I'm too lazy to find it.
Cylan

Postby Conaan! » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 pm

just drop Hotr for judgement glyph, the extra hammer bounce really doesnt come in handy that much, and i used to run it for quite a while
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Leuthas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I've been running HotR glyph for some time, and I find myself enjoying that I have it quite often with large pulls.

Anyone happen to know which page the threat numbers for the Judgement glyph is on in Theck's thread?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Pala » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm

[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:45 am

I dropped teh SoV glyph. With just expertise from gear I was over the dodge cap.
honorshammer

Postby Candiru » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 am

Lol, its funny the way gear randomly piles on either hit or expertise. I am was over the hit cap for a while just because of what had dropped, but had no expertise on gear at all.
Candiru

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:27 am

This is the most recent calculation of the TPS value of each glyph for 3.1.

Theck wrote:TLDR Summary:
Unless you're expertise-capped without the SoV glyph, the SoV glyph will be a larger threat boost than the Judgement glyph.

Note that this will all change once 3.2 is live, and I haven't finished the glyph calculation with the new code yet. In all likelihood, SoV will be the hands-down winner due to the added benefit of connecting with each melee swing.

And as others have noted, I try and keep the Table of Contents updated with links to the most recent calculations.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Leuthas » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 am

theckhd wrote:This is the most recent calculation of the TPS value of each glyph for 3.1.

Unless you're expertise-capped without the SoV glyph, the SoV glyph will be a larger threat boost than the Judgement glyph.

Note that this will all change once 3.2 is live, and I haven't finished the glyph calculation with the new code yet. In all likelihood, SoV will be the hands-down winner due to the added benefit of connecting with each melee swing.

And as others have noted, I try and keep the Table of Contents updated with links to the most recent calculations.

Why thank you, Theckhd. You certainly answered my question, until 3.2 atleast. Though I'll have more interesting things to worry about in that patch then glyphs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:28 pm

theckhd wrote:This is the most recent calculation of the TPS value of each glyph for 3.1.

Is that expertise dodge capped or expertise parry capped?
honorshammer

Postby theckhd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Honorshammer wrote:Is that expertise dodge capped or expertise parry capped?

Dodge (soft-capped). After the parry cap, the SoV glyph (or any other source of expertise) gives you absolutely no benefit.

I probably should have been more precise with wording in the summary. My guess is I got sloppy because I mentioned it in more detail in the full text of the post. Sorry about that.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:58 pm

theckhd wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:Is that expertise dodge capped or expertise parry capped?

Dodge (soft-capped). After the parry cap, the SoV glyph (or any other source of expertise) gives you absolutely no benefit.

I probably should have been more precise with wording in the summary. My guess is I got sloppy because I mentioned it in more detail in the full text of the post. Sorry about that.

No worries, I'm over the Dodge cap, so I wanted to make sure I didn't need to swap back to the SoV glyph, though I'm less than thrilled with Judgement as my 3rd.

My glyph load out is DP, HoSalv, and Judge.
honorshammer

Postby gregorian » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:34 pm

considering the glyph is 82 exp rating it makes much more sense to remove smaller chunks of expertise from your gear rather than a whole lot as a glyph. when it comes to great choices like the sov glyph, you accept it regardless. any breach of soft caps should be handled with the switching out of your other slots, starting with the lowest item level piece, and especially items that are there merely due to their abundance of threat stats (impregnable fortress etc)

for the same reason, you dont go enchanting 18 stam to your shield simply because you are over the defense minimum. you take 20 def rating because of its superior stat budget price and THEN replace the extra def with stam ELSEWHERE.
gregorian

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:00 am

(Carry stacks of relevant glyphs for the occasionlol)
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations