Remove Advertisements

[25] Kel'Thuzad - Frost resist gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Kel'Thuzad - Frost resist gear

Postby Brute » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:27 am

I was doing a pug that didn't have an interupt rotation set up... I wore my frost resist gear after the first tank got pounded to death by the frost bolts and they replaced him with me because "he has a little more health".

Assuming your DPS is lazy and stupid, and interupts will be random if you get them at all, is it better to wear frost resist (417 FrR) or just regular tanking gear? The damage seemed a lot more even, way less spikes, with all the FrR on.

I ask because a lot of people seem to say "don't wear it" but I also see that interupting the frost bolts is a "vital" part of this encounter.
Brute

Re: [25] Kel'Thuzad - Frost resist gear

Postby amh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 am

If you can't rely on your interrupters, then yeah, frost res is a good idea. Seeing one bolt go through isn't unusual, but two in a row is just a disgrace. I would aim for 30k buffed, that should be enough for one bolt + melee swing. The next step would be to replace your interrupters with someone who's capable of it.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 am

amh wrote:If you can't rely on your interrupters, then yeah, frost res is a good idea. Seeing one bolt go through isn't unusual, but two in a row is just a disgrace. I would aim for 30k buffed, that should be enough for one bolt + melee swing. The next step would be to replace your interrupters with someone who's capable of it.

Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

It makes sense that seeing 100% resists is a lot better than being block capped, since he doesn't melee much anyway if he's allowed to chain cast.

Next question: how do you set up an interrupt rotation? Is that normally handled over vent or macros with tells or what?
Brute

Postby amh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:43 pm

Brute wrote:
amh wrote:If you can't rely on your interrupters, then yeah, frost res is a good idea. Seeing one bolt go through isn't unusual, but two in a row is just a disgrace. I would aim for 30k buffed, that should be enough for one bolt + melee swing. The next step would be to replace your interrupters with someone who's capable of it.

Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

It makes sense that seeing 100% resists is a lot better than being block capped, since he doesn't melee much anyway if he's allowed to chain cast.

Next question: how do you set up an interrupt rotation? Is that normally handled over vent or macros with tells or what?

Block cap is a non-issue on this fight, yeah. His melee hits are extremely weak.

For a rotation, we usually assign 2-3 people depending on cast-frequency. Those three modify their macro depending on who's present.

/say is often easier to spot than a whisper, since not everyone uses a solid background on their chat-window.

Say we have "Per", "Pål" and "Espen" who are supposed to be interrupting, in that order.

Per's macro:
#showtooltip Kick / Mind Freeze
/cast Kick / Mind Freeze
/say Kick / Mind Freeze used, Pål next!

and so on. They should be trying to interrupt as soon as they cast-bar appears, so that there's a faint chance that the next person in line can catch it if "INTERRUPT FAILED" is called out on vent. At that point, anyone with an interrupt (paladin, warrior, shaman, hunters with pets capable of interrupting) will use it, except Espen. Espen will still have his interrupt pooled, so he's ready to resume the rotation.

That's in an ideal situation, though. Usually someone will interrupt if the cast is closing in, regardless of fails being called out on vent.

Edit: Also note that on this particular fight, you really want to have at least one interrupter in each melee-stack. Sucks to have all your off-gcd interrupts frozen in a block of ice :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Mert » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 am

Just keep Hammer of Justice nearby in case of iceblock/laziness/other failure from your DPS. Only once every 20 or 40 seconds (depending on if you took IHoJ or not) but enough to get you out of an annoying situation if push comes to shove.

Incidentally, biggest problem I used to have with my old guild was stopping them killing the MC'd members of our raid rather than CCing them :lol:
Mert

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon