The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: The List: What can I solo as a level 80 prot pally?

Postby Impervium » Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 am

I'm having trouble with soloing Gehennas as Prot. I'm going to try again once I can pick up som SR gear but between his constant shadow bolts and the 75% healing curse, I can't stay on top of his damage. If it doesn't work with some SR gear, I may try as ret and burn down his adds with JoL and SoL and hope AoW can keep me up.
Impervium

Postby Tropicana » Mon May 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Plain and simple, gehennas sucks, and yes you will need a good amount of shadow resist. I've killed him twice as prot, once as ret, in 70-80 green shadow resist gear. About 310 SR with aura.

I really don't suggest doing it as ret, sure you can kill him/adds faster, but you take a LOT more damage, and the with the healing debuff, you just don't have the healing/mana regen to keep up with the damage you take. When I did it as ret, by the time I got him to 50%, I had already blown all my cooldowns, so I had to throw on a healing mace+shield anyway.

3 minute DS from prot is a major help also.
Tropicana

Postby Non » Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm

Impervium wrote:I'm having trouble with soloing Gehennas as Prot. I'm going to try again once I can pick up som SR gear but between his constant shadow bolts and the 75% healing curse, I can't stay on top of his damage. If it doesn't work with some SR gear, I may try as ret and burn down his adds with JoL and SoL and hope AoW can keep me up.

Pre 3.1I used a mix of SR and Healing gear when I did this before 3.1. With +350SR and around 10k mana I could outheal the dmg with the -healing curse on me.

Post 3.1: +350SR and my normal block gear. You will resist alot of dmg and Sacred shield will absorb alot too. I'ts so much easier with the new Divine Plea. I use Seal of Light and Judgment of Light and that is enough to keep me alive until Bubble is off cooldown. Then clear the curse and heal to 100% and do this until he is dead. Don't forget to move out of the Rain of Fire.
**"It's no secret that any correspondence between what Non says and the truth is purely coincidental"
Non

Postby kywirelessguy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Add ZG to the full clear list. Completed it today, all solo! The bat boss is easilly soloable, you just have to wait for her to run out of mana ;) Takes forever, but its very easy. I could pretty much stand in the fire with SoL/JoL and sacred shield up. There is plenty of time to heal yourself while she heals if you really need it.

And I'd like to take a quick second to say screw the tiger boss, killing all 3 of those bastards at the same time was my biggest hurdle. Once all the priestesses are dead Hakkar is really a wuss, I ran over the 10 minute enrage by about 20 seconds. Bubble ftw.

Edit: Forgot my pally isn't my fisherman so I didn't get to hit the fish boss, but I think someone else has already solo'ed him, hes already in the list anyway.
kywirelessguy

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:39 pm

A while back I soloed Magister's Terrace except for the last boss. I just couldn't do enough DPS to keep the phoenixes under control. Have not gone back with fire resist gear to try again (yes, i still have it), but having stumbled accross this thread I might give it a go.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby smittyinky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:15 am

I'm doing pretty well in my start of solo'ing, but am having an issue in Black Morass. I got past the second boss, and was able to keep up with adds pretty well, but after the second boss, I"m just not putting out enough dps/not getting portal guardians fast enough to keep only one portal up. Solo'ing only gives you one beacon that I was hoping to save for 17th portal.

1.Maybe my spec is too Prot. Is there a standard Prot/Ret hybrid build that would help me through by being able to stay alive, but do more dps?

2. Maybe I've got too much Prot gear on. Should I take off Def pieces for strength pieces? Can I go under 540 Def since it's a lvl70 instance or would that be opening me up for too much damage?

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Grapejelo - Earthen Ring
smittyinky

Postby sarutobi » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 am

Dropping below 540 def shouldn't cause any problems. You only need 500 defense to be uncrittable against level 72 mobs, so if you have ret items that will provide you a big str/crit boost, or prot items with large amounts of block value you haven't been using, then definitely equip them.

If you're having issues with dps after the second boss it may be beneficial for you to switch over to a full ret spec, assuming you have a decent off-spec set. JoL + DS + instacast FoL should be enough to keep you alive. And assuming you didn't let a large number of adds slip past you during the first 17 waves, you will have plenty of time after wave 17 dies to switch back to prot and drink to full before engaging the finall boss.
Toroko <Serious Casual> Mal'Ganis (US)
sarutobi

Postby Tolaana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:53 am

Solo'd Ahune twice now, both times as prot although I imagine you could do it as ret with a couple pieces of PvP gear on.
ImageImageImage
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post.
Tolaana

Postby sublimated » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:01 am

Is it bad/normal that I'm extremely addicted to soloing right now? :shock:
I took a bit of a break from wow, probly over a year, and just got back to playing due t friends hassling me hahah, I did a server change recently so I could play with my mates, but it's almost kind of like starting over, lost all my old contacts and I'm out of pocket healers :lol:

Somewhere along the lines I got really hooked on soloing old content, hahah, anyone else experience this? I chain ran heroics for a while after dinging 80 and after getting frustrated at the people in this new server and offspecs needing on my tank gear all the time and losing all the rolls I started doing my own thing to grind some cash as it started. Started with old 70 instances, then heroics, then old raids, then got attumen and moroes down, will try Maiden next :mrgreen:

Am I just going through a phase, or is anyone else hooked on this like me?
sublimated

Postby rokkon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:08 am

kywirelessguy wrote:Once all the priestesses are dead Hakkar is really a wuss, I ran over the 10 minute enrage by about 20 seconds. Bubble ftw.

How did you do this? I've tried 2 times now, and every time he mind controls me he resets and I go out of combat. I haven't figured out how to stop that from happening.
rokkon

Postby kywirelessguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:03 pm

Every priestess gives Hakkar an ability. Killing him with any priestesses up solo is nigh impossible, let alone all of them. You can probably get away with leaving the Bat boss up, but you need to kill all the rest.

The one that causes the problem is the Panther boss. Its the one that gives Hakkar the ability to stun you. Since there is nobody else to target he just resets.
kywirelessguy

Postby rokkon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:22 pm

kywirelessguy wrote:Every priestess gives Hakkar an ability. Killing him with any priestesses up solo is nigh impossible, let alone all of them. You can probably get away with leaving the Bat boss up, but you need to kill all the rest.

The one that causes the problem is the Panther boss. Its the one that gives Hakkar the ability to stun you. Since there is nobody else to target he just resets.

Awesome, I obviously did not know about that. I'll have to head in and try again :)
rokkon

Postby sarutobi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 pm

rokkon wrote:
kywirelessguy wrote:Once all the priestesses are dead Hakkar is really a wuss, I ran over the 10 minute enrage by about 20 seconds. Bubble ftw.

How did you do this? I've tried 2 times now, and every time he mind controls me he resets and I go out of combat. I haven't figured out how to stop that from happening.

Was there someone else inside the instance? (Anywhere in the zone, don't have to be on the platform)

Hakkar doesn't mind control if you're the only one (alive) in the zone.
Toroko <Serious Casual> Mal'Ganis (US)
sarutobi

Postby rokkon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:51 pm

sarutobi wrote:Was there someone else inside the instance? (Anywhere in the zone, don't have to be on the platform)

It was me and a rogue friend of mine, we were trying to 2 man Hakkar. I kept getting mind controlled and killing her, then once she was dead he'd mind control me and reset.
rokkon

Postby Tropicana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:18 pm

rokkon wrote:
sarutobi wrote:Was there someone else inside the instance? (Anywhere in the zone, don't have to be on the platform)

It was me and a rogue friend of mine, we were trying to 2 man Hakkar. I kept getting mind controlled and killing her, then once she was dead he'd mind control me and reset.

Be the only one alive when the encounter starts.
Tropicana

PreviousNext

Return to General Strats