Remove Advertisements

Healing.... is it fun or just a necessity?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Postby Boxy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:09 am

To be a full time healer requires a special person in my opinion. Your in the least noticeable but highest risk position in the raid. People will notice when you stuff up because generally someone is dead. Despite that, like tanking its a very rewarding position; you know your playing an integral part in whats going on.

I'm a pally healer and i feel like a masochist when i heal sometimes because it struggles in so many areas. When it shines though... oh boy does it shine. I'm finishing leveling a shaman to 80 in the next week or two and i'm looking forward to giving a new healing style a crack.
Boxy

Postby Balanor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am

Is healing fun? It depends.

Here's my perspective. It can be stressful as you are one of the cogs of a successful group. If you relish being the main reason a raid/group succeeds or fails and likes the scrutiny that goes with that, you will like healing. Healing seems to always be ascribed to playing wack-a-mole with the toons in the raid. You spend the majority of your time focusing on the toons to see who takes damage or if you are assigned to a tank, your time is spent watching the tanks health bar and hitting the button when a heal is needed. On some fights, you will be continuously casting and will have to interrupt your heals if none is needed. So you basically watch health bars and watch things under your feet so you dont stand in the fire.

I like healing at times especially as a holy priest since our wack-a-mole hammers come in a number of varieties. We have an instance cast HOT, a quick cast small heal, a longer cast big heal, lightwells, instant cast AOE heals, long cast AOE heals...lots of things to choose from.
Balanor

Postby Warbal » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:43 am

Arcand wrote:It's also a good way to nudge the tank into pulling, if they're the pretty-common sort who need a little coaxing.

If you're really consistent about it, you can do the Pavlovian conditioning thing on your tank so they pull when they hear 'ba-ding'! :D

Haha, I love using that as my signal to a tank to pull.
Warbal

Re: Healing.... is it fun or just a necessity?

Postby Bundy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 am

I think wack-o-mole somes it up nicely for raids. Especialy back in vanilla with 40 mans. Your entire screen was covered with health bars, lol. It is fun though, because its about choices and reaction time instead of spamming the same "rotation" over and over again. Well there is the occasional tank and spank that you can spam one heal the whole fight and win, but you still dont have to.

My priest was Disc since the day he was born back in 05, and is still Disc to this day. I leveled as Disc and pretty much do only instance runs. It seems to work just fine if you have other toons to play if no one is on at the time. Log on, try and find a group, if no ones on, jump on your tank or whatever. This way when your finaly 80, you can go back and do all the quests if you want and make quite a chunk of change.

Ive tried Holy but hated it cuz I went oom too fast not to mention lost like like 3k mana coming from Disc. Anyways healing can be exciting sometimes during those clutch moments where every action you make decides wether the raid lives or dies. One bad decision (Greater Heal or Flash Heal?) can be crucial. In fact even during the cast you will find yourlsef wondering if you should continue the cast or cancel for something else. I know when I cast Greater Heal, im always thinking to myself "Is there enough time? is it too late? Should I cancel for a flash heal instead?"

But on the other hand im not sure how much recognition you will get. When im tanking I cant say I notice how good the heals are, im too busy tanking shit ya know? Either we win or we lose, I dont really consider every individual role. The only time I notice is when I drop below like 20%, if they keep me up, they obviously did something right.

I only roled priest because I was so sick of spamming "LF1M Healer for ***** " And even though leveling was a chore, its very rewarding once your a main guild healer that everyone knows is reliable and gets it done.
Bundy

Postby Leuthas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Healing 40mans through vanilla I very much enjoyed, though, I didn't exactly have the choice of respeccing and out tanking a Warrior of the time. I like most of the changes that have been made to Holy since the release of BC (haven't healed since before BC came out) and I have been meaning to try it - currently working on a Holy set.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:55 am

I'm probably one of the few who enjoy paladin healing. Now, to do this, I have to find a way to 'make' it fun. Since Holy is my offspec, I normally find myself healing Alt Naxx runs for newb tank alts in the guild. To make it fun, I will have them stay in on Anub, Tank Faerlina through the enrage, Solo Heal Patch10, Allow the tanks to swap at 4 or 5 on Gluth, etc....

I haven't had the chance to heal in Ulduar at all, since Dual spec gave us 100 healers and 0 tanks, so I'm Ret + Prot for that, but I would assume it would be a lot of fun to heal in Ulduar as well.

I know the main healer in our guild has never played a DPS class. She has a

Druid - Resto
Shaman - Resto
Priest - Holy

that she has leveled, and she has done very little solo leveling. Normally she levels with her husband who is the guild's MT> It works pretty nice to have them in the same room :).

I have never felt that healing was 'just a necessity'. I think it's a wonderful posisition to have in the game.
Shoju

Postby vegardhv » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:19 am

Shoju wrote:I'm probably one of the few who enjoy paladin healing. Now, to do this, I have to find a way to 'make' it fun. Since Holy is my offspec, I normally find myself healing Alt Naxx runs for newb tank alts in the guild. To make it fun, I will have them stay in on Anub, Tank Faerlina through the enrage, Solo Heal Patch10, Allow the tanks to swap at 4 or 5 on Gluth, etc....

I haven't had the chance to heal in Ulduar at all, since Dual spec gave us 100 healers and 0 tanks, so I'm Ret + Prot for that, but I would assume it would be a lot of fun to heal in Ulduar as well.

I know the main healer in our guild has never played a DPS class. She has a

Druid - Resto
Shaman - Resto
Priest - Holy

that she has leveled, and she has done very little solo leveling. Normally she levels with her husband who is the guild's MT> It works pretty nice to have them in the same room :).

I have never felt that healing was 'just a necessity'. I think it's a wonderful posisition to have in the game.

I enjoy healing holy as well. I started just a month or two ago, and now stepping in when we are in lack of healers (and at the same time have enough tanks). I find it easy to pick up healing equipment in Ulduar/naxx, since I get to roll on practically all mail and plate items with intellect on them (not much competition, usually just one competitor for that gear).

I find that as a tank, I get a lot of credit, for doing a tough job - and the rest of the guild think I'm pretty decent, but I'm also the cause of a lot of wipes (as are the other tanks), it's pretty easy to track the fault back to the tank - tank went out of healing range, tank failed to pick up an add, tank didn't cleanse fast enough steelbreaker's DoT, etc.

It's very rare that I see healers blamed for a wipe, if you f**k up as healer, there's the other 1-2 healers there to cover for you, and vice versa, and if you let a dps standing in fire die (by not using BoP on him for instance) it's their fault for standing in the fire. And if the tank dies he's undergeared :D
vegardhv
Maintankadonor

Re:

Postby mavfin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Origon wrote:I hated healing on my priest back in BC (I dinged 69 a day or two before BC was released). Hated it so much that I stopped playing for a few months before coming back as shadow. I would not roll on healing gear even so that I wouldn't have to "offheal" if we ended up short a healer. Thinking back, it could have been because the healers in my guild back then were treated like disposable napkins.

Now, I'm in love with the day disc heals. No more sitting there watching a gheal castbar, cancelling if it wasnt needed. Lots of smaller heals, more abilities that are equally useful, and shiny bubbles ! (and i like making people twitch with penance / PoM). Because of my disc priest, I've switched from my dk tank main back to the priest as my main. the dk and the pally are now alts :P

This. I love my disc priest. Huge toolbox, there's a heal for everything. If I shield and PoM the tank, it's time for him or her to get beat up! (Not too much, I'll give them bubbles to run around in!)
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Leuthas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:02 am

Probably a typo... but how does one ding 69 before the release of BC?
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Leuthas
Maintankadonor

Postby Sarutankah » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:14 pm

I am levelling my priest at the moment, level 74.

I have Dual spec shadow but mostly level as disc.

The reason is.. ... aoe grinding. I pull mobs and nova them, pop cooldowns and shadow fiend, tis all good fun.

And all i do to go heal is change from smite glyph to nova and then nova hits for about... 200 less than circle of healing but is spammable in a 5 man.

Edit: Anyway - I level this priest and my druid to heal (so my pally can stay prot/ret)

I like healing.

It's fun and pretty much always a challenge/engaging :mrgreen:
Sarutankah

Previous

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes