[10] Alone In The Darkness

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Alone In The Darkness

Postby kram » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:38 pm

I heard a rumor they hotfixed it on 25 so only one target gets empowered
kram

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:38 pm

i read somewhere that Exodus said in an official forum post they just got VERY lucky try, when the moons are aligned with the stars and Gods are blessing over their heads, and probably isnt gonna be repeatable :P
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Joanadark » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I heard a rumor they hotfixed it on 25 so only one target gets empowered

thats 100% false. confirmed.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 pm

So, turns out that Exodus used one of the 3 possibilities we were aware of.

For their kill, they used the method where they sent a holy paladin and a warlock into the brain realm for the last one, and they stayed inside the brain realm after the transition. the paladin turned on Righteous Fury, and nuke-healed the spam Life Tapping warlock, gaining healing aggro on the immortals right after they spawn each 10-second interval.

This method, along with the other two strategies of having the holy paladin stand on the rock in the SW corner, and using knock-back effects to knock immortals into yog's body, have all been hotfixed as of today. Confirmed by our own testing.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Falibard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:11 am

Semi-related question: does the mount drop in 10 man or is that a 25 man only thing?
Falibard

Postby Belloc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 am

25-man only. A trinket drops in the 10-man version.
Belloc

Postby Seloei » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 am

trinket? 25man trinket? or 100% drop chance on the King's Seal?

thought it was 2 hardmode 10man yogg items :s
Seloei

Postby Belloc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 am

* Vanquished Clutches of Yogg-Saron
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Item Level 226
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 136.
Use: Calls forth a Vanquished Tentacle of Yogg-Saron to serve you.

That's what drops from 10-man Alone in the Darkness.

Speaking of Alone in the Darkness -- Joanadark, you said that 2 adds get empowered? I always hear that it's 1, but 2 will be significantly harder to coordinate.

Reply if you get a chance, because I would like to work on this fight.
Last edited by Belloc on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby Falibard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Belloc wrote:
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Item Level 226

Hmm that's not as cool as the mount. Also, the only thing I can picture now is a tentacle in a butler's outfit bringing you stuff.
Falibard

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 am

Belloc wrote:
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Item Level 226

Speaking of Alone in the Darkness -- Joanadark, you said that 2 adds get empowered? I always hear that it's 1, but 2 will be significantly harder to coordinate.

Reply if you get a chance, because I would like to work on this fight.

In 10-man, I've seen up to 2 different adds get the Dark Beacon (big purple arrow thingie showing who will be targeted for Empowering Shadows heal) at once. Sometimes it's only 1 add, but other times it is 2. We currently have no idea the mechanic behind this for certain and it is the primary thing we've been trying to test.
The primary reason why 25-man AITD is so difficult is because you can actually get up to FIVE Dark Beacons at once, all of which need to be individually aquired as a target by a seperate taunter, taunted out of the pack of adds before the heal goes off, pulled out to sufficient range from the pack, yog saron, and each other so as not to stack aoe heals on anything else (because its impossible to dps through), while still remaining in range of healers, and MS or wound poison needs to be kept up on all those targets at the same time throughout their heal, Life drains they may cast interrupted, and enough DPS thrown into them that the taunt-capable DPSer who pulled them out doesn't instantly die to their increased damage if they are allowed to gain health.
*DEEP BREATH*

so yeah, 25-man sucks.

But back to 10-man, yeah, you can get either 2 or 1 Dark Beacon in our experience, and we have currently 2 theories as to why that is. Our primary theory is that it is based on the HP of yog at the time of casting the Dark Beacons. I.e. If you throw all your DPS into yog and just try to burn him down, he will put a greater number of beacon targets up to punish you for somehow not exercising the intended control over Immortal Guardians' damage output by bringing them to 1 hp, and to a lesser extent make the fight scale with gear to remain challenging when doing it at greater than the intended DPS-output capability.
Our theory is that if you pass a certain cut-off point, a benchmark if you will, for each cast of Dark Beacon (which is on a set timer), he will do 2 Empowering Shadows instead of just one.

We could of course be completely 100% wrong. It could very easily have no pattern whatsoever, and be 100% RNG whether he casts 1 beacon or 2. Who can say.

Either way, 1 beacon or 2, it should be managable with taunt-capable DPSers who are quick on their feet and have a good raid-icon marking keybind. Pre-assign opposite directions to pull out to. In our kill, the first time gave us 1 Dark Beacon, and the second time did 2. We had me (ret) and a dps DK doing the taunting. A rogue was assigned to DPS/interrupt my target, and keep wound poison up, while a Hunter was assigned to DPS the DK's target and keep Aimed Shot up and the DK interrupt his own target. The enhancement shaman stayed on the remaining adds and DPSed/interrupted new adds.
Our system was for me to do my taunt first, pulling my target away and marking it, and the DK, having watched my targeting with me on his focus, would quickly select the second beacon and Death Grip it out of range of the others. The timing of this worked out quite well, as the time saved by Death Grip countered the slower reaction time the second taunt is going to naturally have.

Alternatively, just keep doing pulls until you get all the Empowering Shadows being just 1 Beacon.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:02 am

Falibard wrote:
Belloc wrote:
Binds when picked up
Unique
Trinket
Requires Level 80
Item Level 226

Hmm that's not as cool as the mount. Also, the only thing I can picture now is a tentacle in a butler's outfit bringing you stuff.

This trinket is actually pretty neat. The tenticle of Yog Saron is one of the 3 types of tenticles that spawn in p2, the Crusher, the Corruptor, and the Constrictor. They actually do a fairly decent DPS contribution. The Crusher has a special called Crush (go figure) that crits for 2.2k, the Corruptor stacks a nature DoT that also snares 5% per stack (great for PvP and arena!) that is a ranged attack of like 30 yards I believe (maybe less), and the best DPS is actually, surprisingly, the Constrictor, which doesn't pick people up but instead stacks a physical bleed.

We did some extensive testing on the tenticles.
They DO benefit from all debuffs affecting damage taken on their target, such as Curse of Elements, Sunders, etc.
The DO NOT benefit from buffs and trinket procs on you, unlike things like Ghoul and Spirit Wolves.
They will gain heroism if heroism is cast after the tenticle is summoned.

Plus, you get the added benefit of popping it in BGs and having people gush at you "WOW, I havn't even KILLED that boss yet, and you've not only killed him with zero watchers, but you're tenticle raping me now too."
Joanadark

Postby Falibard » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:53 am

The prospect of tentacle raping people intrigues me...

Someone say something about it being a tank trinket so I can link my raid here and take it for me own enjoyment. =3
Falibard

Postby fafhrd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Tentacle is massively cooler than the mount!

can have pix of joanna+tentacle please?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:08 am

Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14 am

Also i frapsed our repeat kill today, but it was such a sloppy kill I'm hesitant to make it into a movie.
I will if you guys promise not to pick apart all the mistakes we made. ^^
Joanadark

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon