Heirloom Sword okay for tanking 60-79?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Heirloom Sword okay for tanking 60-79?

Postby Ardron » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 am

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42945

Would that be a decent weapon for tanking normal 5-mans from 60-79?
Ardron - 60 Blood Elf Paladin - Tortheldrin Server
Kaevek - 80 Blood Elf Mage - Tortheldrin Server
Ardron

Re: Heirloom Sword okay for tanking 60-79?

Postby Jasari » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 am

Yeah, it would work but it's not very good. I wouldn't spend badges on it.
Jasari

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:12 pm

It is ok, but in that level range you shouldn't really be having threat problems and you should be able to manage with just quest rewards / istance drops.

There's also 2 very good tanking weapons you can get at 65 and 74, from Durn the Hungerer quest in Nagrand, and from a soloable group quest in Zuldrak.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby lythac » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:42 am

66 [Crystalline Kopesh] - Durn quest
68 [Coldstone Cutlass] - Howling Fjord quest
74 [Hammer of Quiet Mourning] - Zuldrak quest

Only linked the [Coldstone Cutlass] as it looks pretty easy to get and has quite a bit higher weapon DPS.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Braundo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 pm

I'm not sure if this has been fixed, but a couple months ago a guildmate of mine was using an heirloom weapon (Battleworn Thrash Blade, if it matters) to dabble around with some tanking while leveling through Outland. However, his HotR hit for far less than it should have, and it was plainly obvious that something was wrong. By our best guess, it appeared that the damage calculation for HotR was using a much lower level version of the weapon than it should have. After talking to a few different GMs about it, they seemed to confirm that it appeared bugged and Blizzard actually refunded his shards for it, too.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Braundo wrote:I'm not sure if this has been fixed, but a couple months ago a guildmate of mine was using an heirloom weapon (Battleworn Thrash Blade, if it matters) to dabble around with some tanking while leveling through Outland. However, his HotR hit for far less than it should have, and it was plainly obvious that something was wrong. By our best guess, it appeared that the damage calculation for HotR was using a much lower level version of the weapon than it should have. After talking to a few different GMs about it, they seemed to confirm that it appeared bugged and Blizzard actually refunded his shards for it, too.

This went for most, if not all, of the heirloom-weapons. It was fixed a patch or two ago.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Kalakaua » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:24 am

Lythac wrote:66 [Crystalline Kopesh] - Durn quest
68 [Coldstone Cutlass] - Howling Fjord quest
74 [Hammer of Quiet Mourning] - Zuldrak quest

Only linked the [Coldstone Cutlass] as it looks pretty easy to get and has quite a bit higher weapon DPS.

Re-emphasizing that these weapons will all be better than your heirloom weapon for tanking and each weapon will last you until you can get the next one.
Kalakaua

Postby econ21 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am

The heirloom hammer, Venerable Mass of McGowan, looks better than the heirloom sword for tanking - it seems to have more stats, specifically agility. Comparing it to the linked quest reward swords in this thread, it is superior in dps at level to the L66 and L68 ones. It is somewhat inferior to the L74 sword at that level but will soon get better as you level. The slower speed should also translate into a big dps and tps edge for tankadins too.

I bought it for my warrior and although it is probably a little slow for a warrior tank (I could not face tanking with the dagger), I am pretty sure it smoothed the way to the Outland. As with all heirlooms - it does reduce the fun factor a little as it is one slot you can get shiny new rewards for. I have not tried BC and WOTLK instances with it though, but it looks fine - agility, stamina & threat. I am not that concerned about defence atm, although that will change as I approach 80. I'll probably switch to the L74 weapon when the time comes.
econ21

Return to Basic Training & Talents