Remove Advertisements

[10] Alone In The Darkness

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Alone In The Darkness

Postby majorwoo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 am

If your doing Alone in the darkness you wont' have *edit*Thorim's buff. Without it you can't kill guardians so the only point of DPS them would be to lower their damage. But if your trying to nuke Yogg down at that point do you really want to pull your DPS off onto the adds? What I'm asking is, should you just tank them away from Yogg and let them heal.
Last edited by majorwoo on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby kram » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 am

A add at 100% w/ 0 keepers on 10man hits me for 30k
kram

Postby Belloc » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:28 am

majorwoo wrote:If your doing Alone in the darkness you wont' have Hodir's buff. Without it you can't kill guardians so the only point of DPS them would be to lower their damage. But if your trying to nuke Yogg down at that point do you really want to pull your DPS off onto the adds? What I'm asking is, should you just tank them away from Yogg and let them heal.

It's Thorim and, yes, you do want to keep them low. As the poster below you stated, they hit very hard when they are at full health.
Belloc

Postby Joanadark » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:54 pm

If your doing Alone in the darkness you wont' have *edit*Thorim's buff. Without it you can't kill guardians so the only point of DPS them would be to lower their damage. But if your trying to nuke Yogg down at that point do you really want to pull your DPS off onto the adds? What I'm asking is, should you just tank them away from Yogg and let them heal.

You split DPS. 1-2 DPSers on adds should be enough, because everyone DPSIng Yog can turn and throw damage at adds every time they have to face away from lunatic gaze.

2-3 Adds at 100% will probably be in the realm of one-shotting tanks. Thats not feasible. You have to keep constant DPS on the adds, and that only becomes more and more important as more of them spawn.

You save heroism for phase 3, and it becomes a massive DPS race to kill yog before you are overwhelmed. Towards the end you simply chain defensive cooldowns on the tank, blow heroism, leave one DPSer AOEing adds hard, and everyone else turn and try to blow up Yog the rest of the way.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 am

We got this today.
Warrior tank, Paladin and Druid healing. Warlock, Shadow Priest, Hunter, Rogue, Ret, DK, Enhancement Shaman.

Getting to p3 in two brain realms is key. The better you do on the first brain realm the better, because part of your brain team can just go directly outside to help as soon as the illusion is shattered. On our kill we had the brain to sub-45% in the first brain realm, and that wasnt our best. Do not heroism inside the brain. We sent 4 DPS down, no healer.

Upon transitioning to p3 we were already stacked on the south side and blew heroism and all cooldowns and nuked the boss for about 30 seconds with just the enhancement shaman DPSing adds. People with plenty of sanity ate a couple ticks of Lunatic Gaze intentionally for extra DPS time. 30 seconds in myself (the ret) and the rogue both switched to the adds as well. The rogue interrupted Life Drains and applied Wound Poison to all of the adds with Fan of Knives. When Empowering Shadows went out I would target one of the two adds marked with it and the DPS DK would Death Grip it out of the pack and I would taunt the other add and run it out, with both of us bringing the marked adds way to the side and away from yog. The hunter turned and DPSed my add when the heal went out, keeping Aimed Shot up, and the rogue switched to the one the DK was on, keeping wound poison up. The enhancement shaman stayed with the tank, DPSing new adds that spawned. Vigilance was on me because I was doing the most AOE threat and so that the warrior would have instant taunt CD reset to taunt both adds back from myself and the DK once the HoT had gone out and they started healing. The rest of the dps nuked down Yog Saron as fast as possible, the DK and Hunter going back to the boss after Empowering Shadows had been dealt with.
After the 3rd empowering shadows, all DPS turned and nuked Yog, who was at 9% by this point. My wings were just coming up right then, and I had used them right at the start of phase 3 when heroism was up, so this was about 2 minutes in.
When we did that damage on the tank started to ramp up alot, and we started chaining cooldowns on him. My Sac and Shield Block, then the holy paladin's sac and Last Stand, then shield wall and every trinket he had right as the 4th empowering shadows was going out and all the adds were all healing.
The boss died a split second after the tank, and half the raid, were slaughtered by Immortals.

Very intense fight, and fun. Exciting like algalon, but more technical. Very repeatable.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:57 am

^^^
Sounds exciting, any video coming?
Jasari

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Jasari wrote:^^^
Sounds exciting, any video coming?

Might do a video at a later date, but we didnt bother frapsing this time because there isn't a whole lot to see. Its just doing the same old fight, really really really well for the most part.
Joanadark

Postby Treck » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:07 am

Well, P3 is different, I think thats the part ppl want to see.
I personally wouldnt mind seeing how its beeing handled (even if i "know" from your text). An awesome job tho.
Would you rate alone easier or harder than mimiron hardmode in 10man?
We have killed mimiron HM once, but one light 3-4 times, and was thinking we should move on with alone, but not quite sure of the difficulty jump.
Treck

Postby Avengeance » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:54 am

I think Alone in the darkness is harder than MImiwipe in my experience - I havent had some proper tries for Alone, it was late midnight and people wanted last Ach (1 light) for mount, so only managed a few tries, but the tries i did alone i cant even pass p2, whereas 1 light we 1 shotted it.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Treck » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:07 am

I guess the 20% more HP buff does a lot. The 10% dmg loss doesnt do much, most ppl trying for alone has eather 25man hardmode gear or pretty much full 10man hardmode gear and 25man normal ulduar gear.
1Light isnt rly that difficult. And i really like the fight.
Removing hodir and freya is prolly the best thing you can do for a raid, it makes failing much more unforgiving, and you can easy see who needs to improove their game (was ret last yogg25, and started P3 with 72sanity, when other meele had below 30 AND had refilled once or twice). With all keepers ppl failing or just performing below average gets away with it. This is for 25man tho, its easier to find 10ppl who know their game and wants to improove. We should have 4hours tonight, one for algalon, and then 3 hours for general and yoggy, so might try alone and see how it goes for a while.
Treck

Postby Joanadark » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am

Well, P3 is different, I think thats the part ppl want to see.
I personally wouldnt mind seeing how its beeing handled (even if i "know" from your text). An awesome job tho.
Would you rate alone easier or harder than mimiron hardmode in 10man?
We have killed mimiron HM once, but one light 3-4 times, and was thinking we should move on with alone, but not quite sure of the difficulty jump.

Its hard to say. We went into firefighter 10 with experience from firefighter 25 progress, and I'd estimate it took us maybe 12 hours or so to learn, spaced out over several nights/weeks. We generally do 10s on off-days and late at night after the 25-man raid ends.
Alone, on the other hand, probably took 20+ hours of work, but we did it 100% isolated from the 25-man, and had no experience from doing 25-man Alone to compare and learn from.

So it's hard to say.

Firefighter is far more a having-the-correct-strat fight.
Alone is almost no strat, simply a everybody-play-well fight.

Completely isolated, both fights are probably of similar difficulty, and both are very repeatable once mastered.
Joanadark

Postby kram » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:58 pm

We got this today.
Warrior tank, Paladin and Druid healing. Warlock, Shadow Priest, Hunter, Rogue, Ret, DK, Enhancement Shaman.

Getting to p3 in two brain realms is key. The better you do on the first brain realm the better, because part of your brain team can just go directly outside to help as soon as the illusion is shattered. On our kill we had the brain to sub-45% in the first brain realm, and that wasnt our best. Do not heroism inside the brain. We sent 4 DPS down, no healer.

I assume for portals you use Rogue, Ret, DK, Enh Shaman. Our rogue seems to drop in health pretty quick from thorns on the tentacles inside, do you heal alot as the ret? or just have everyone save a HS for inside portals?

Do you split people up at all inside portals?
kram

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:06 am

I assume for portals you use Rogue, Ret, DK, Enh Shaman. Our rogue seems to drop in health pretty quick from thorns on the tentacles inside, do you heal alot as the ret? or just have everyone save a HS for inside portals?

Do you split people up at all inside portals?

Yes, we send the 4 melee DPS in the portals. The tenticles dont have enough health for the feedback damage to actually kill you if you start the brain realm topped off unless someone slacks and you have to kill more than your share.
We tended to use our healthstones when in the brain realm in situations where we had to go in at a health deficit or spiked ourselves low. One of the big things to look out for is curses of doom on the melee, as a curse of doom going off on someone while they are in the brain realm is generally going to be deadly unless you are watching them like a hawk.

I threw Art of War proc heals as needed, and cleansed all cleansible debuffs that were on the others as we ran in. The druid healer on the outside made it a priority to decurse us while we were out and try to give us a Hot or two right before the portals spawned.
Most of the time I was giving the rogue sacred shield as well.

Each person had a very specific portal assignment, but this was adapted to on the fly if one of the 4 was ever brain linked or constricted. I was generally the last one to take my portal as I would hug Yog's body in order to BoP any of the melee who got constricted at the last minute. Brain Linked melee would always swap portals with whoever was assigned the portal nearest the main raid.
Inside each scenario, everyone was assigned specific tenticles to kill.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Gonna fraps the repeat kill this weekend.

We're taking this a ton more seriously now as a result of the Exodus miracle kill. We have a pretty solid theory on what they did that tipped the balance, but it needs testing.
Theres rumors flying around everywhere at the moment. I even heard one supposedly "leaked" claim that Immortal damage scaled with mob Size and not HP, and thus it was a chain-Baby Spice rotation that held the key to victory.

It's going to be a very exciting time until somebody manages a world second kill.
Joanadark

Postby Treck » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:54 am

Joanadark wrote:Theres rumors flying around everywhere at the moment. I even heard one supposedly "leaked" claim that Immortal damage scaled with mob Size and not HP, and thus it was a chain-Baby Spice rotation that held the key to victory

It is for sure related in some way, since they shrink when they take a lot of beating, but if blizz made it size = dmgoutput. They just fail at coding encounters seriously...
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon