[10] Algalon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Algalon

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:24 am

"upto a maximum of 100% of his health". Holy paladins with blessed hands have around 20-23k health only and 78k - 23k = 55k.
With HoSalv it might be enough to survive the hit but then just barely if you are at 45k+ buffed health. With a fast ninja LoH it would be possible.
There is damage in there but it's not huge, that is if you don't get hit by the adds. The damage in there won't take you under 50% health tho.
Seloei

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:50 am

afaik shieldwall dont reduce transferred dmg, at least some people reported for Divine Sacrifice.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Markoh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:07 am

In our final group make up we got our old dk back. He had stopped doing 10 man, but came back when we were kind of desperate for a viable option. So our dk just took all of the bangs and I took most of the normal tanking, it worked fine and allowed me to shield wall during the holy paladins pleas which are very important on this fight.

The reason we did the switch is druids on the raid healing are kind of overpowered, they can keep the raid up and keep at least a 2 stack of lifebloom on the tank.

Our final roster was
Prot pally
Holy pally
Ret pally
Ele Shaman
Destro lock (I think it was destro at least)
Some kind of rogue
Some kind of mage
Blood Dk tank
Resto druid
Disc priest

The dmg people are pretty much cut and paste, but healing was a pain to figure out. The tanks get absolutely wrecked on this fight and going with the disc priest and holy pally on mt was a big change.
Markoh

Postby Seloei » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:47 am

which set do you use for this fight? High armor/eh, high stam, high avoidance or a mixture of them all as you use for all other hard hitters?
The tanks kept on getting destroyed on our first 10man attempts on him.

Also, was wondering if the priority to close the black holes takes precedence over leaving one up where you can escape or you just do it after the big bang?

edit: After looking through the logs of that night, i noticed a 'insignificant' detail. Each tank death happened when no heals except hots landed on him the last 5-7s.
Seloei

Postby Falibard » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 am

Seloei wrote:edit: After looking through the logs of that night, i noticed a 'insignificant' detail. Each tank death happened when no heals except hots landed on him the last 5-7s.

Lack of healing is the leading cause of tank deaths. :P
Falibard

Postby Splug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:07 am

Falibard wrote:
Seloei wrote:edit: After looking through the logs of that night, i noticed a 'insignificant' detail. Each tank death happened when no heals except hots landed on him the last 5-7s.

I always thought it was "hit points reduced to zero."

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:28 pm

We are having this odd problem: Living Constellations are getting aggroed by my Consecration, hence they stick in the middle of the room, not allowing melees to see wtf is going on and getting them killed by Cosmic Smash. Also, is it right to totally ignore the Constellations, or should we have someone (thinking of the non-tanking tank) to drag them to black holes?

Also: how many big bangs we should expect to eat? I ask this because we run Prot Paladin + Feral Druid. I have no problems at all eating a Big Bang (lol salvation + divine protection), but the Druid seembs to need Pain Suppression to survive, and i don't know if we're ever supposed to eat 2 big bangs in a row.
Will it always work like Druid - me - Druid - me or there's the chance one of us has to eat 2 explosions in a row?

Btw, i love this boss, it hits SO hard, i don't want to imagine in 25 men, must be really Brutallus v2.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:16 pm

It's on a very strict timer, so if you alternate with the Phase Punch timing you will always alternate Big Bangs (there are 3 of them, the 4th is the berserk).

Constellations are pretty dangerous to leave alive, as far as I can tell they will just pile up if you don't despawn them and so will the void zones. The best way to avoid aggroing them with Consecration is to move the boss out of the middle when they start coming down, as they spawn above him. You can also have whoever is currently the OT taunt one and despawn it. It's not critical to despawn each one like clockwork, but I imagine it would go more smoothly if that's possible.

Unfortunately we didn't rekill him this past week. The most important problem? Tank deaths due to healers moving at the same time. It's critical that healers are spread out so you NEVER have two of them moving away from one cosmic smash.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:06 pm

Constellations are pretty dangerous to leave alive, as far as I can tell they will just pile up if you don't despawn them and so will the void zones.

Actually this is incorrect.
They cap out at 3 Constellations, and if you dont kill them more wont come out.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:23 am

I could swear we had 4 around on our kill.

In any case it's probably a bad thing since you end up with a minefield of black holes if you don't remove any. If you try to avoid killing many stars to counteract that problem, they will die anyway to Algalon's own damage and screw you over.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Jacopo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:10 am

My first question is, what are the pally tanks wearing that killed him?

I'm entertaining the thought of using my bv set for this. We completed our first hour of attempts last night. Our biggest problem was, like everyone warned, tank deaths from strait melee swings.

Last night I used what I call, for a lack of a better term, my "main tank" set. 35k health, 26 dodge, 21 parry, ~1k bv, while block capped unbuffed. My bv set would put me about 33k health, 18 dodge, 17 parry, and ~1900 bv unbuffed. Im not that concerned with the avoidance loss, more the health loss.

Our warrior tank is going to take the first and third big bang, but I managed to test staying out for a few big bangs when it was clear we were wiping several times last night. With divine protection I was sitting at about 14k each time. I'm worried about reducing my health anymore. Have any thoughts?

My second question is, I remember hearing people say that Illidan had a higher miss penalty on his regular swings because he was a dual wielder. Checking combat logs, it doesn't seem that Alaglon suffers from this same penalty. Am I missing something here or was I misinformed about Illidan?

My last question is, do you guys know if Algalon parry hastes? I just want to know how careful our warr tank and I should be when moving into position to taunt.
Jacopo

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 am

I wear what I'm wearing in the link at the bottom of my signature.

Illidan didn't suffer from the increased miss when DW penalty. The hubbub about Illidan was that his Shear ability, which absolutely needed to be dodged, parried, or blocked, couldn't miss, so Paladin tanks had to factor that in while gearing to tank him.

I don't know whether or not he parry hastes.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Worldie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 am

Go with a avoidance-heavy set tbh.

Also, Divine Protection + Glyph of Salvation = hax for big bangs.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Belloc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:00 am

Don't forget about possibly using guardian spirit, if you have a holy priest.

Can't wait to put attempts into this tonight.
Belloc

Postby Falibard » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Splug wrote:
Falibard wrote:

I always thought it was "hit points reduced to zero."

-Splug

Cause and effect.
Falibard

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon