Heroic Arc, tips and tricks?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Arc, tips and tricks?

Postby Zaffira » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Tried Heroic Arc the other night with 2 mages, a hunter and a Pally healer. The Pally wasn't full holy (said he was Prot/Holy) but he did have a full set of Epic healing gear so we let him give it a try.

I'm not sure if it was the heals or what, but we got our asses handed to us. I tanked Heroic Arc successfully when my gear wasn't nearly as good as it is now and I don't remember it being *that* difficult.

The thing that gave us the most problem was the final boss event. Although we got to the final boss event with "only" about 4 or 5 wipes, we just couldn't get past the 2nd mini boss. He did this rain of fire thing that just incinerated the squishies with low health and as soon as one of the dps went down we were screwed. 3 tries and 2 and half hours later we all gave up.

I think it is probably the most difficult Heroic which is why I really want to master it. Some of the wipes were actually quite fun and the group all seemed to be experienced enough (except for having run Heroic Arc before) which is why I didn't mind wiping as many times as we did. We were all learning, and after we figured out what to do about some of the nasty trash mobs in there it went much more smoothly. That 2nd mini-boss at the end though just absolutely destroyed us.

(Oh yea, and we skipped the 1st boss too, because our 1st attempt he wiped us in about 3 seconds and so we said forget it!)

Anyone tanked Heroic Arc lately that has any tips or tricks for this place?
Zaffira

Postby Dapaladin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:09 am

I did H-Arc the other night with me a resto druid warlock mage and a hunter. We had a few deaths to some of the trash since it was everyone first time and we didnt expect how hard some of the trash was going to hit. We too skipped the first boss, he just does too much damage. It took us a few attempts on the final boss event but we downed him, we didnt get the same miniboss as you our first was the imp and then we got the wind elemental which wasnt too bad. Harbriner himself isnt very hard. It sounds like your DPS needs more stam and need to move out of RoF faster. I agree completely with difficulty, one of the hardest heroics ive done in a long time.
Dapaladin

Postby Sunspear » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:02 pm

i did tank heroic arc a few times, but it is all about dps and placement of the dps-ers. I never really had problems.

for that rain of fire, you need to move out and move out quickly. If you do not as a clothie, you are toast. But the advantage of the demons is that you can exorcism. DPS can then let flie everything they have, just due to high threath you generate.
Another thing that really helps is a shaman earrthshocking. I think this interrupts that rain of fire since it is a channeled spell if i remember correctly.

the last boss is actually easier for a pallie tank, since you can gather up the copies easily with consecrate.
Sunspear

Postby Tiandelin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:17 pm

The first boss is a lot easier with some shadow protection gear. It doesn't even have to be plate. His damage is pure shadow, so your armor doesn't help at all. Use SR aura if you don't have a priest. Trying to tank him without any SR is an extremely easy way to die.

As for the second mini-boss, be thankful you didn't get the other one. The air elemental is a lightning-tossing, damage-amplifying, blinking, deaggroing nightmare. We get him every single time we bring our elemental shaman. He doesn't like running heroic Arcatraz anymore.

For the Gehennas-wannabe you went up against, keep FR aura up for everyone if you don't have a shaman for FR totem. Make sure everyone is spead out and moves out of the rain of fire, you included. Make sure the curse gets dispelled, too.

The drakonid you fight after him is one of two types. The blackwing one does blast wave and mortal strike, while the twilight one tosses brood afflictions on you, most of which can be cleansed. The blackwing one seems more dangerous due to his aoe and mortal strike.

Skyriss never seemed as difficult as the mini-bosses before him. Just make sure your healer is on the ball, as those mind rends hurt. If the healer gets rended, it's probably a good idea to toss him a couple flashes. You might find that running out of mana is a bigger problem than the boss himself.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:04 am

360 SR made my healer ask if i was taking damages on that boss.

The thing about Arc heroic is "Everything hits like trucks". A double pull is usually deadly, expecially in the 1st boss room.

The last boss is all about moving out of the RoF and nuking them as fast as possible... i would not go there without a very good geared healer, possibly not a druid.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zaffira » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I probably won't do it in a PUG again. I'll get some guildies/friends and get on voice chat too.

In retrospect I think Pally heals are just too slow, especially if not full holy--they don't have the higher level talents that speed up the time to cast holy light, mana regenerating abilities, etc.

I often struggle in heroics with Pally healers in general. My favorite is still a really well geared holy priest and/or a shadowpriest in the group.

I ran normal SH the other day with almost no cc and a shadow priest in the group and the healer said for a lot of the fights he didn't toss me a single heal! I'll have to bring an SP along to heroic Arc next time.
Zaffira

Postby cordelia » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Heroic Arc is a major pain in the butt. I agree.

First Boss, Everyone needs to be on their toes. It doesn't matter how much SR you have if the dps can't get out of the void zones, and survive the AE shadow blasts. Same thing with the healer. Lazing around on normal b/c the void zones don't do too much damage doesn't work on heroic. And yah, you do need SR. more the better. Tell the dps to be responsible for their own hp, b/c the healer's going to be trying to (a) stay alive, (b) keep you up.

2nd boss. We wiped a ton on him until we finally figured out that you've got to move away from the charges, and stay out of the trail of fire. Again, dps and healer needs to be on their toes and MOVE.

3rd boss. cake.

Minibosses. Rain of Fire, as others have said, MOVE. We wiped a lot on this too.
cordelia

Postby Steve » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:36 am

The dirty truth is that Paladins, even holy paladins, are exceedingly limited healers. They are the worst healers for many five mans because of their limited healing throughput to all five members of the group.

Heroic Arcatraz is an instance that can expose this particular weakness. I ran it recently with a paladin healer and it was much, much harder to complete than with an equally geared, and frankly significantly less skilled, priest.
Steve

Postby Winchester » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:00 am

Tried it for the first time the other day, no one that i knew had tried it, no one on the realm had tried it alliance side as far as i know. (SH-Eu, in desperate need of more players).
I had kinda put it up on a pedastool.

But until we got to the first boss everyone kept asking "is this heroic?" "are we sure this is heroic?" etc. We died the first time, but seeing as we had 2 elemental shamans with us, they helped healing when neccasery on that boss, and we got him down.

Rest went smoothly, 2nd boss (chick) came along, was extremely easy.
3rd boss (fire dude), same, not really harder than normal.

We cleared on to the last boss, started the event, everything was going fine, imp dead, gnome out, air elemental out..... "oh my god hahahaha"
"2 elemental shamans, air elementals are immune to nature, our attacks are bloody nature"

Me and the last dps kept fighting the air elemental, for some reason i kept loosing aggro even though i had about 4 times the aggro of the dpser, prolly something he does, beats me... anyway, we would have made it, but the event is time based and when the air guy was at 30% the dragon super soldier man jumped out and cut my shaman friends in twein.

But if it was as easy as the earlier stuff (first boss being particularly harder) im sure i'll take him next time, if i can use all my dps ffs.
Seal of Posting
220 Mana
Instant Cast
Fills the paladin with the urge to troll, granting each post a chance of luls.
Only one seal can be active on the paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this seal will bump your thread.
Winchester
Maintankadonor

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:20 am

Anyone know if u can buff the gnome ? I tried the naruu trial and the boss kept targeting him with the one spell that's like mind flay and it's channed and I couldn't taunt him. Can u simply drag the boss away from him ? We downed the boss but the gnome died from the channeled spell hitting him so much.

Overall the instance seemed about the same as normal to me. The sentinals did zap for alot when almost dead. I fricken hate the air elementals agro wipe. At least now I know that's what is going on and I can let the grp know to stop dps til I get agro back.
Keep your friends close and your curly fries even closer.
Annabelle

Postby Zeels » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:33 am

Worldie wrote:360 SR made my healer ask if i was taking damages on that boss.

The thing about Arc heroic is "Everything hits like trucks". A double pull is usually deadly, expecially in the 1st boss room.

The last boss is all about moving out of the RoF and nuking them as fast as possible... i would not go there without a very good geared healer, possibly not a druid.

I have a 1600+ healing resto druid friend. Didn't even bring shadow res gear, and the entire instance felt like a breeze.

Those hots from a skilled druid are insane.

Tbh I would even go as far as saying that druids are the best 5-man healers.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Rehlachs- » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:02 am

Zeels wrote:
Worldie wrote:Tbh I would even go as far as saying that druids are the best 5-man healers.

especially because they can innervate the tank :)

gogogo, my very own walking mana potion
Rehlachs-

Postby Worldie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:25 am

Zeels wrote:Those hots from a skilled druid are insane.

Sadly not every druid is.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arcand » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 pm

You can heal Millhouse, but you can't buff him.

I was running this a couple weeks ago with a tree, and told her before the she-demon that when I get cursed I'd be clicking my HoTs off to avoid healing the boss.

So I did, and she would reapply them, and we got into this silly clicking duel where she keeps stacking Lifeblooms on me and I'm spamming my right mouse button to keep them off, and as this is happening I'm seeing the boss's health rapidly rising...

...so I now suspect that with HoTs, it isn't
Chlamydia's Lifebloom heals you for 722
that triggers the curse and heals the boss, it's
You gain Lifebloom.

In the past I've clicked off my tree HoTs and never saw the boss's health rise, and assumed that just meant I had been quick enough to keep any significant number of ticks from happening...but it could also be that it's only the initial applications that heal her, not the ticks.

Anyone else looked at this?
Arcand

Postby Cynnammon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:59 pm

I attempted H-Arc last night with a semi-pug group after being begged to come because the warrior was horrible (only 9k health and couldn't hold aggro). The lock I've run with before in regular SV and SH, and the healer on one of those runs. However, the healer (a pally), the mage, and the rogue were all of the same guild...and not geared well at all. The healer kept on hitting me up with FoL, even after several reminders...and every time the lock SS'd her she would immediately res after dying rather than wait for the mobs to reset. Half the time I wasn't even healed until I was below half health. If I would die, the lock would die immediately after me because we were #1 and #2 on the threat list. No idea what the mage and rogue were doing, but they clearly weren't going all out after I pulled.

It kept on getting worse and worse...I died once because she didn't even heal me when a mob was hitting me like a truck, and we wiped. She kept on being reminded to drink up to get mana, and while I was marking and getting ready to pull the rogue kept on poking her and she kept on giggling. The lock and I were so fed up with the whole ordeal that we both told the group that we were out after one more wipe...which promptly happened after we said that because once again, I didn't get healed.

Just makes me glad that my guild didn't merge with their's about a month ago when they asked... :roll:

Oh, and managed a quick heroic UB run afterwards with guildmates. Yay for smooth runs! Didn't even die on the double bog giant pull before the first boss.
Cynnammon

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics