Remove Advertisements

[25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] I Choose You, Steelbreaker

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:53 am

As we found last week, if you have cooldowns prepped on a tank for a fourth phase on him, he'll be able to survive the 5th stack if someone dies. The raid damage is ridiculous though, and if another death comes it's definitely game over.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby cordelia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:41 am

Joanadark wrote:
Doing the math on 4 tanks over 120 seconds, with 3 heals, you need a raid dps of 102k to kill him. Assuming 2 tanks, 5 heals, that comes out to 5,700 average DPS. I'm unconvinced our guild can pull this off without a Rune of Power.

Considering 40 of those 120 seconds will be 'Lusted with Shattering Throws up, either you are greatly underestimating your DPS, or they are utter crap and shouldn't be at that level of content until the L2P.

5.7k DPS sustained, without heroism, is low-end.

I wanted to get defensive, but the truth is, I can't get a good feel on the strength of my DPS. Certainly, I'm proud of where it is for my server, but I'm on Lightninghoof, an RP-PvE server. We have two guilds in the top 1000. and 4 alliance guilds have downed Yogg, in total.

There are no more Patchwerk like fights where we can measure pure dps output by. The two closest I can think of are: Razorscale after he drops, and Vezax - melee only (20% haste penalty).

On this weeks' encounters, Razorscale, P2, w/16 dps:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/XSbQ ... 29&e=14085
Once landed, it took 2:30 with lust to kill him.
12,550,500 hp/150 sec / 16 players = 5230 dps each.
Granted, it was an easy "end-of-the-day", keepers down, let's go kill Razor and call it run.
The 4th hunter and 3rd rogue are not regulars. The 2nd ret pally is competing for the spot.

But many of my best were there, and were underperforming: Both shamans, top 2 rogues, mages, and rogues do minimal dps until 20 seconds in. (Perhaps they were on remaining adds? Or maybe tanks were transitioning)

In Vexax: 9 melee did: 5900, 5600, 5200, 4900, 4300, 4000, 4000, 3700, 3600. Avg: 4600.

Yes, it's vezax and I can probably add 10% to those damage numbers due to his slowing effect. And Heroism was only up 10% of the time rather than 33%.

4600 *1.1 * 1.1 = 5570. Close, but no cigar.

And yes, there is a lot of variation from top to bottom in dps totals.

Across all bosses excluding Vezax, Yogg, FL, IC, Ignis:
Top DPS: 6200
Lowest DPS: 3700 (excluding irregulars)

Across all Yogg attempts including kill:
Top DPS: 5947
Lowest DPS: 3400
cordelia

Postby cordelia » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:44 am

PsiVen wrote:As we found last week, if you have cooldowns prepped on a tank for a fourth phase on him, he'll be able to survive the 5th stack if someone dies. The raid damage is ridiculous though, and if another death comes it's definitely game over.

You mean the tank is tanking a 5th phase? or a 4th phase, with an accidental death?
cordelia

Postby Ubick » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:26 am

Do you guys think this hardmode is doable with only 2 tank deaths? last tank dies right after the boss is downed, so it would be a total of 85-90 seconds burn.

We had some good tries last night on this one with using only 2 tanks but the problem was that melee always died like flies during the last phase.
Ubick

Postby itankforcash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:56 am

Ubick wrote:Do you guys think this hardmode is doable with only 2 tank deaths? last tank dies right after the boss is downed, so it would be a total of 85-90 seconds burn.

We had some good tries last night on this one with using only 2 tanks but the problem was that melee always died like flies during the last phase.

It's how my guild does it, it's a lot easier if you have the dps for it, as a 3rd tank death is a lot heavier raid damage and tank damage and a lot more room for error.

2 tanks
5 healers
18 dps

The Dk tank is taking steelbreaker and I took runemaster, the feral dps takes stormcaller until runemaster is dead, I taunt with an avengers shield silence to get stormcaller onto steelbreaker, usually hunters/spriest soaking (3 is all you need to soak) with the rest of the raid hugged onto steelbreaker, the raid has to move from max 2 overloads if your dps is good, than pop heroism/bloodlust when stormcaller dies and nuke the hell out of steelbreaker, I taunt at about 2-3 secs left and pop bubble wall, when that runs out I get a pain supp, than at 2-3 secs left again the DK takes it again, I get CR'd pop divine guardian and blessing of sacrifice on the DK tank (with bubble up obviously) boss dies.
itankforcash

Postby Rehlachs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:15 am

itankforcash wrote:2 tanks
5 healers
18 dps

2 overloads if your dps is good
[...]
I taunt at about 2-3 secs left

Was the prot warrior, that got the achievement along with you, going for arms for that day?

If a raid doesn't cut the ~2 minutes timer on Brundir, it isn't even near to the amount of raid DPS needed to kill Steelbreaker within ~90 seconds.
If you trade taunts on Steelbreaker while Brundir is still alive, you can safe some seconds from avoiding those taunts 2-3seconds before the meltdowns.
Rehlachs

Postby itankforcash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:28 am

Rehlachs wrote:Was the prot warrior, that got the achievement along with you, going for arms for that day?

Yes he was arms.

And either it was huge RNG but we had a rogue do 9k DPS on Steelbreaker and a mage close to 9k, they didn't get meltdown.

Rehlachs wrote:
If you trade taunts on Steelbreaker while Brundir is still alive, you can safe some seconds from avoiding those taunts 2-3seconds before the meltdowns.

Can you explain what you mean here?
itankforcash

Postby Rehlachs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:13 am

Let me put it this way: if you meet the DPS requirements for killing Steelbreaker within 90 seconds, you will always have 2 Overloads while you are on Brundir. Premonition kind of holds the record on this method and they haven't beat the timer on the third (i.e. the second while you are on Brundir) Overload on their recorded kills.

edit: Whats the matter with your 9k dps rogue? That guy seems to pull of 9k dps on every encounter, thought no one else in the whole wide world can even get close to this >.<

Can you explain what you mean here?

tank A got Steelbreaker, tank B got Brundir.
B taunts Steelbreaker when it's safe to gain some threat on Steelbreaker, A taunts Steelbreaker back.
[...]
A explodes, Steelbreaker automatically switches to B.
Rehlachs

Postby itankforcash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:57 am

Rehlachs wrote:tank A got Steelbreaker, tank B got Brundir.
B taunts Steelbreaker when it's safe to gain some threat on Steelbreaker, A taunts Steelbreaker back.
[...]
A explodes, Steelbreaker automatically switches to B.

Yea that is a really useful way to avoid those 1-2% wipes
itankforcash

Postby Donahu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 am

With the strategy of not taunting back and forth, I'm assuming the tank that explodes just dies right next to the new tank? Or is the range small enough that they can be near each other? Or is the damage laughable and they just both tank it from the front (while not getting parried ofc)? EX.

Tank Tank Tank TankTank
B O S S or B O S S or B O S S
DPS Off-Tank DPS DPS

Soakers (3) Soakers (3) Soakers (3)

At work and can't draw pictures to submit :).
Donahu

Postby Donahu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 am

Fail, I had perfect spacing describing what I had been asking in the pics on the bottom. I guess if you put a bunch of spaces in, it just won't work.
Donahu

Postby itankforcash » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 am

Donahu wrote:With the strategy of not taunting back and forth, I'm assuming the tank that explodes just dies right next to the new tank? Or is the range small enough that they can be near each other? Or is the damage laughable and they just both tank it from the front (while not getting parried ofc)?

Tried it last night, I just stood on the DK, before he died I popped bubble wall + armor pot, didn't even notice the meltdown explosion damage, I got a pain supp right after bubble wall ran out and popped trinkets somewhere in between, heart of iron lasts 20 sec which is two thirds of the whole time I will be tanking, so it's pretty nice there, when I died, I got combat ressed, used bubble, divine sac and hand of sac on the DK tank, boss died with about 6 secs to spare.
itankforcash

Postby cordelia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:52 am

Has anyone ever tried Army of the Dead for Steelbreaker? I assume pets dying don't cause him to gain an Electrical Charge.
cordelia

Postby Treck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 am

They dont taunt bosses anymore.
Treck

Postby Joanadark » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm

WOW SICK SIG TRECK
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon