Leotherass Demon phase tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Leotherass Demon phase tanking

Postby Arthran » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:31 am

I've taken it apon myself to tank leo on the demon phase, and whilst im not having too many problems with agro im suffering from high damage. I have 289 Fire res buffed (missing 1 item of FR gear) but i noticed from last nights attempts i was taking 13k spikes after a little while of tanking. Is it my lack of Fire res hurting me or something else?
Arthran

Postby Lore » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 am

He puts a debuff on you that causes you to take progressively more fire damage the longer he's on you. You really need max fire resist, otherwise you'll start taking those big spikes.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 am

He puts a debuff that increases damage taken as it stacks up. I'd suggest getting a warlock tank on him.
Anubisknight

Postby Worldie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:08 am

It's not like having a lock changes things, we have used a Warrior, a Bear, and myself, without troubles.

First you need 365 FR, definitively. Not worth going without, you risk that debuff to stack too much and own you.
If the debuff starts to stack way too much, bubble and istantly dispel the bubble while he's casting. This will be very very useful in last 15% where you will be tanking him for long time.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:10 am

Worldie wrote:It's not like having a lock changes things, we have used a Warrior, a Bear, and myself, without troubles.

First you need 365 FR, definitively. Not worth going without, you risk that debuff to stack too much and own you.
If the debuff starts to stack way too much, bubble and istantly dispel the bubble while he's casting. This will be very very useful in last 15% where you will be tanking him for long time.

Using a ranged tank on him will be advantageous imo. Melee wont have to worry about fire damage.
Anubisknight

Postby Arthran » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:13 am

melee dont worry anyway if you get positioning, i've learnt that fast
Arthran

Postby Anubisknight » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:09 am

Chaos blast has an AOE range of 10-15 yards. Is it still possible for melee to avoid it if you have a Druid/Paladin/Warrior tank?
Anubisknight

Postby Arthran » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:29 am

completely, just stand at max range yourself, mellee max range from behind and there is no issues there
Arthran

Postby Tiandelin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:03 pm

We typically use a bear tank with no issues beyond the occasional freakish string of unresisted chaos blasts. Melee shouldn't be getting hit at all if they are paying attention to where they are standing. If they die to chaos blast, it's generally their fault.

Pally tanks do have the nice advantage of being able to bubble out of the chaos blast debuffs and then instantly unbubble to keep him on you. Not that I've ever personally tried tanking the demon, but it seems like paladins make nice tanks for either phase. However, you absolutely need to have 365 FR with your aura up, or 295 unbuffed. Anything less, and you're increasing the risk of him obliterating you.

Have a warlock soulstone you if possible. It serves the dual purpose of wipe recovery if something goes wrong and wipe prevention if you die to chaos blasts and the raid manages to survive until he changes back to elf form.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Arthran » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 am

380FR! going back this eve for more attempts so i'll hopefully be posting a success later on
Arthran

Postby Arthran » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:32 am

didnt go badly at all, 365FR for demon phase tanking is perfect. Unfortunately 9% was our best, but that just means we have to wait a few days to get him.

365FR actually made it trivial, at one point (during a wipe) i went through a while demon phase with no heals, 11 of the 13 chaos blasts were fully resisted :-D
Arthran

Postby Candiru » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:16 am

bear in mind that you can use divine intervention to reset the stack of debuffs on the warlock/other tank doing the deamon phase if you hit 15% while he still has stacks on him. Make sure to yell on vent for him to click off the buff though!

This obviously costs you your life, but in some situations can save the raid.
Candiru

Postby Arthran » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:28 am

Good news, 1 Dead blind nub.

Hardest part for us wasnt me demon tanking (once i hit 365 FR and remember to chain chug mana pots and ask for winervates) but purely the ranged dps/healers not getting noobed by the WW.

got him on tuesday (pre-patch, EU server), last pull before re-clearing trash and we kill him 45seconds before enrage timer :-D

We then wandered over to hydross(being the last boss for us before vashj) and got him on the 3rd pull, so easy when you've been working on leo for a while. I tanked 2 adds each phase with no resistance gear and just aoe'd them down.

Vashj looks like she's gonna be loads of fun for me ;-)
Arthran

Postby Kyroro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:21 pm

A question about your FR gear, was it all the badge gear?

That's a LOT of heroic badges to farm...
Kyroro

Postby Aurica » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Our raids been getting called off due to lack of FR tanks during Leotheras, our guild mainly uses warlocks to do it.

Then I saw this post. I'm just wondering, how feasible is it for paladin tanks to tank leotheras in daemon form? Granted I notice getting his aggro a few times by smacking him with exorcism couple of times. Is there anything I need to watch out for and what should I prepare myself for other than gearing up FR?
Aurica

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern