Remove Advertisements

[25] Emalon the Stormwatcher

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Emalon the Stormwatcher

Postby Bundy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm

I just tanked the adds for the first time this morning, I usualy end up tanking the boss which is hella easy. Anyways, I was wondering if while side straffing, if your able to dodge/parry/block still? It seemed when the add spawned and I had to go grab it and I straffed as to not completely turn my back to the adds, it seemed as though I was taking more damage and went to 10% hp or lower sometimes.

A few people were saying the healers were not the greatest and were having mana issues, I wasnt paying attention to these things cuz I busy spamming cleave/thunderclap/Shockwave/deva.....you get the point. Aside from healers not being up to par, is there a better way to grab the add and not take additional damage while doing so? I mean the only thing I could think of is to jump through them and do a 180 and taunt the other add with my back turned to it, and then do the same thing to get back into position. But I was having a tad bit of trouble targeting the add and not tageting Emalon when it first spawned. I eventualy got better after 2 wipes, lol, but doing the backwards thing would only complicate this issue so im hoping I dont need to do that.

Anyone know if you can block/dodge/parry if the mobs are to your side and your straffing?
Bundy

Postby amh » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:34 pm

Bundy wrote:Anyone know if you can block/dodge/parry if the mobs are to your side and your straffing?

Yes, you can :) For this specific example, try to keep your back to the edge / ledge / wall whilst moving.

An easy way to tell if you can dodge/parry/block incoming attacks is to see if you yourself can attack the mob. If yes, you're good. If "You are looking the wrong way!", then no.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Bundy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 am

Ya I tested in later on with some random mobs and it seemed fine if there at your side. Altough I dont see how keeping my back to wall is going to get me across the room in time to grab the add effectively.

Im just gonna have a hunter to MD the add to me, make the whole thing 10x easier.
Bundy

Postby Bundy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:23 pm

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt tanking the adds the more difficult to tank of the two?

I got inv to do VoA last night and immeditaly the other tank was saying shit like I wasnt geared enough. I didnt know his avoidance, but he only had 200 more hp than me so I was like wtf are you talking about? So then im under the impression im gonna be tanking the boss and he would get the adds. Because im pretty sure the adds are harder to tank, plus he was a Paly so he would have better AoE threat than me as a warrior.

So at the last second before the pull I kinda caught on that they wanted me to tank the adds instead of the boss. I didnt understand this at all given the circumstances, but everyone was in a huge hury so we just went. I get in there and have em all on me just fine, but the boss gets lose somehow and kills alot of ppl. Im still up with a healer and a few dps, and we continue for another 15 secs or so but eventualy die.

This is the funny part. Someone leaves so the paly tank says "hold on let me bring in a GEARED DK tank" and he did cap the geared part. Then im asked to dps. THEN the paly tanks the adds and the DK tanks the boss, and we kill em. Double U Tee Eff is all I can say.
Bundy

Postby Ard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 am

Bundy wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but isnt tanking the adds the more difficult to tank of the two?

Hmmyes, the adds require: pick-up skills. You need to make sure all four are on you with some threat, otherwise the first heals you receive as addtank will get your healer killed. Reaction time: when one gets empowered you need to switch to it to make sure noone builds more aggro than you had. More pick up skills: when a new add is spawned you need to locate it and get it on you asap.

Boss tank has a relatively easy job: stand there and keep the boss on you.
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Postby Belloc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:38 am

Tanking the adds is the "harder" part of the fight, but not when it comes to gear. Emalon does hit decently hard.

Regardless, that other tank was a moron.
Belloc

Postby Loken » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:37 pm

I attempted to OT this yesterday and ended up getting the boot from the group after the 2nd wipe. I don't blame the group in all honesty, but it's a crap fight on 25 - you have to pick up all 4 adds to start with and then the extras as they come along and this particular instance now for some reason send my FPS through the floor.

Anyone else get severe lag/fps problems in vault nowadays?
Loken

Postby mandm413 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:18 am

I have off tanked this one and the ten man one several times now (twice on 25 man) in pugs. I have been in a group that wiped once because the add got behind emalon on the main tank and I couldn't get around to target him. It was a druid tank and what we did the next time is he turned slightly so that emalon was at a slight diagonal to the stairs instead of being perpindicular. This gives me much more vision to be able to target the add if it goes to the main tank. I have not had a problem with it since.

As far as marking the add to target I think this is much easier done with a ranged dps then with the ot and that is the way the groups I have been in have done it.

On the pull, I just did for the first time the other day where we took the adds to the right instead of the left. I don't know why all the other groups wanted the adds on the left but for me the right worked much better. You have to move them less and it seems its easier to move one target (emalon) the further distance then the 4 adds. Anyway I run up to aggro range, drop a concentrate, I have the back add on the side I am not going to targeted and hit it with exorcism, then use avengers shield, and glyphed hammer when they clump up in my concentrate and I have my taunt(s) ready in case one of them goes somewhere else, back into my side and watch for the overcharge and new adds.

If given the choice I would always pick add duty in this fight as its much more fun then sitting on emalon.
mandm413

Postby Baelik » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:54 am

The only threat you really want to see while positioning adds is from the healers. That way its easy to taunt stuff that go off to them. DPS can be trigger happy so make it clear that them starting too early can cause the wipe.

Picking Adds amidst the chaos in 25 man is the only hard job. Again, it helps to have healers or casters over aggroing the rest and pulling the new mob in their direction. But with AoE heavy melee groups the new add tends to stay around Emalon making them harder to reach. I use Grid with its Threat option so if the target of the new add is not the MT it can be easy to Righteous Defense the mob via the DPS player.

Positioning doesn't really matter that much as long as there is enough distance between Emalon and his adds.

As the Add tank, you really want to let people know whats keeping you from doing your job correctly. Do not hesitate to point out if the early DPS or bad positioning is causing a problem for you. They are going to have to listen to you if they want this done right.
Baelik

Postby Baelik » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 am

Regarding the Add Tank and AoE Threat:

Tanking Adds does not really need a great deal of AoE threat. Once you establish initial aggro, you have a window of time to generate sufficient threat on all the adds before an Overload.

You should only be competing with your healers on threat. So it is sufficient to tab switch targets to evenly spread your threat out.

Once you have a healthy lead in threat the Overload phase will come and then you'll just have to focus on the Overloaded add.

Rinse and Repeat once you have the new add.
Baelik

Previous

Return to T7: Naxx / Maly / Sarth / Archavon