[10] Algalon Big Bang Question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Algalon Big Bang Question

Postby Avengeance » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 pm

you can only attempt him 1 hour per reset...clock starts on first pull.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Faro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm

nutron wrote:yes nutron from mal'ganis :P

There's no doubt a good DK would be an ideal candidate (for pretty much everything in the game really...), glad our kill motivated ya to keep trying with a paladin!!

Elltrain steals my secrets!

Grats on your kill man! And a bigger grats on tanking it over the DK. I'm hoping to go in there this reset, any advice on what I should prep for other than being hit like a monster.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 am

From the instant you first engage Algalon, a timer starts counting down at the top of your screen. From that moment, you have exactly an hour of actual time to work on Algalon and squeeze as many attempts in as you can with minimal down-time. When the 1 hour elapses, even mid-combat, Algalon despawns and you cannot fight him again until the instance resets.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby nutron » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:04 am

Faro wrote:Grats on your kill man! And a bigger grats on tanking it over the DK. I'm hoping to go in there this reset, any advice on what I should prep for other than being hit like a monster.

Thanks :) I actually think I probably took less spiky damage overall than a DK would. Problem is their bigger health pool and bag of cooldowns meaning they probably end up never tanking without something up on them during the fight where as I tank him dry (not counting trinkets) along with being able to solo take every big bang without any outside help... A 2nd cooldown would go a LONG way with protection paladins as everyone knows by now...

As I've told other people working on the kill who have asked advice (on the tanking part) If you can tank General Vezax without kiting and only need 1 person to assist you, you can do Algalon, until then, I wouldnt really waste my hour cooldown! Fight is really easy, just has unforgiving mechanics and damage.
nutron

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:05 am

Fight is really easy, just has unforgiving mechanics and damage.

Its Brutallus 2.0, minus the DPS check, and with a random add-rush at the end.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 pm

PsiVen wrote:So having finally seen this fight tonight, I must say it's a lot harder than it looks in videos :)

Algalon is easily the highest DPS boss in the game, and seems fairly well suited to a paladin as a superspeed dual wielder. The other tank in my 10-man is a DK, and we're letting him take all the bangs:
2 punches (me)
4 punches (dk)
- big bang -
I taunt, 2, 4, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that it would also work if I took 4 punches and he taunted for 2 before each Bang? I guess this would be the ideal for us if the timing works out properly. We spent our hour wiping mostly on the transition after the first Big Bang.

To answer my own question: No, for whatever reason, the timing just doesn't work out. If you try to 4-2-bang you'll catch a 5th punch when you taunt.

It might work to keep the same tank across the bang and do 4-2-bang 2-4-taunt+bang 4-2-bang but that complicates things a bit.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Joanadark » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm

Having a ret paladin in the raid who can alternate throwing up Divine Sacrifice or Hand of Sac on the tank immediately after each big bang really makes the transition smooth and easy.

We've pretty much got the basic fight figured out, we just arent meeting the DPS requirement at the moment. Next week we're going to stack for DPS instead of just brining random people because they cried about wanting to be in, and go with a heavy-melee physical DPS group comp, which seems to be the best option by far.
Best healer comp for 10-man is Disc Priest, Holy Paladin, Resto Druid.
Joanadark

Postby Treck » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:34 pm

We were doing it with me taking 3 punches, then the Druid took 2 punches, and right about the same time my debuffs ran out, he started casting Big bang, and that i soak with bubblewall.
Then the idea is to have me keep tanking 3punches, and then the druid takes some again.
I survive big bang every time, and then we have guadian spirit or painsupression for the others.
But is there something that prevents you from keeping this rotation up?
Or is the Big Bang on different timers, the first one comes like 90? sec into the fight, then the second one is that 90sec after the last big bang or?

Also, for the healers, we used restodruid, shaman and discpriest (last week 2x priests holy/disc +druid) would a pally do much differance? always an extra dps buff since we want to use commanding shout from our only warrior. But also since the tankhealing is insane, if a pally taking care of a lot of that, then 2 raidhealers healing raid and helping to keep the tanks upp?

Im surviving the Big Bangs, aswell as his normalhits, and so does the druid, what seemed to happen for us was always someone dying for some reason during/from/after big bang. Our best try was close to 60%, 10-15sec after first big bang iirc.
So we never got to a second big bang, But if that dps keeps up, that should make us get 3 big bangs.

Edit: As the above poster, it seems to be one of the few fights thats actually favors meele :P
And i think i got the healer setup answered aswell ^^
Treck

Postby luichi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 am

Hi!

I went yesterday for 1st time to algalon with a group after killing mimi HM.

We wiped mainly on 1 thing. BIGBANG
How are u supposed to act on that cast? We did things like 1 dpser was focussing on stars to create portals, when big bang cast comes we all go in portals. But we got like oneshotted @ the time the bigbang cast ended.

I read somewhere that big bang only does 12k dmg when u are standing in/near him is that correct? is that the way u should handle big bang als raid? with cd's on tank.

And another thing, after reading this topic, is it correct that the tanks never ever should get 5 stacks? that that makes them teleport ?

/luichi
luichi

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:23 am

If no one is up top when he casts big bang, he casts Ascend to Heavens which one-shots the raid.
Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:20 am

Killed it tonight :) What did it for us was making sure that there were exactly four stars dropped before each Big Bang, otherwise we had stars that would pop immediately afterwards lining up with the tank transition and a Cosmic Smash. We told the star killer to stop worrying about smashes and just assume people would get away from them, though he still watches the tank's health and such. This a very fun and intense fight, and it looks like it won't be too bad to repeat. I'm not a big fan of the time limit but at least we aren't encouraged to wipe for 30 hours a week on him.

luichi: I think you are missing some basic information here. Big Bang needs to be taken by someone who can survive it with damage reduction (bubble doesn't work). They will inherit all of Algalon's threat so it should either be a tank using a cooldown or a shadow priest using Dispersion and getting taunted off immediately. Careful though, you can't taunt until he turns to target the person, there is a couple seconds where attempting to taunt him will just waste your taunt CD. The 5th stack of Phase Punch will phase you into the black hole realm, which you never want to happen to the tank.

Treck: I believe there are exactly six phase punches for every Big Bang. The layout looks like this:
0:15 - Phase Punch
0:30 - Phase Punch
0:45 - Phase Punch
1:00 - Phase Punch
1:15 - Phase Punch
1:30 - Phase Punch + Big Bang
1:45 - Phase Punch
2:00 - Phase Punch
2:15 - Phase Punch
2:30 - Phase Punch
2:45 - Phase Punch
3:00 - Phase Punch + Big Bang
3:15 - Phase Punch
3:30 - Phase Punch
3:45 - Phase Punch
4:00 - Phase Punch
4:15 - Phase Punch
4:30 - Phase Punch + Big Bang
4:45 - Phase Punch
5:00 - Phase Punch
5:15 - Phase Punch
5:30 - Phase Punch
5:45 - Phase Punch
6:00 - Phase Punch + Big Bang + Berserk?

Note that Big Bang is an 8 second cast, and he takes a few seconds to stand there before you can taunt him after it finishes. You have less than a 5 second window for a tank switch to occur before another Phase Punch lands. It appears to land regardless of range on whoever is targeted.

That's where the inconsistency comes in. For whatever reason, when we try to take 4 then 2 then back to the first, the duration is long enough that I eat a fifth punch and get phased out. But when do 2 then 4, it works every time. I think the timing is off somewhere, but it certainly feels like clockwork 15 second spacing.
PsiVen

Postby Treck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:14 am

We were getting 5 punches in total before Big bang.
Whenever i got my 3rd, the druid taunted it, then after 2 punches he started casting Big bang. He prolly started casting a bit after applying the second punch to the druid, but she never got a 3rd punch. And when Big Bang is over, my stacks are removed and its my turn to tank 3, she 2, me 3, she 2, etc etc.
But noone else is doing like this so i wonder if theres anything preventing this from keeping up.
Im not sure he does the punch + Big Bang, he didnt seem to do so for us atleast, but even if that was the case taking 3 - 3 - 3 - 3 all the time should still be doable?
Treck

Postby Avengeance » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 am

Im doing 3-3 as well - it works. I tank first, at 3rd stack, my OT taunts. By the time he casts big bang, my stacks runs out, I eat the Big Bang every time, and after that I start tanking again, and repeat.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Interesting. If the 2-4 strategy is really 2-3, that explains why we failed when attempting 4-2 -- it was really 4-1 and the other tank had only taken a single punch between!
PsiVen

Postby Markoh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:51 am

Finally got this guy down. The only real screw up was the dk taunted a split second too early on the first transition which made us do a 2-4 for the first set (and made our holy pally freak a little). After that we did 3-3 and it worked just fine. Gotta say its a tightly tuned fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RzulM8nNEU
Markoh

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon