[10] XT-0002 Solo Tank

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] XT-0002 Solo Tank

Postby Noravis » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:04 am

My guild always uses 2 tanks for this fight because we ignore the pummelers and never DPS them down. We have our DK go Blood Spec and then I stand on the left side of the boss and just pick up adds and stand in place for the most part. I off tank the adds the whole fight. Its the most reliable and safe way to do the fight especially if you're saying your DPS is low, you can have up to 9 pummelers on you in the event that at every 25% he spawns 3 (Its happened to us). If your DK who is undergeared goes blood he will have a much larger health pool and his single target threat will be enormous and in addition will have 2 more cooldowns, Mark of Blood and Vampiric Blood. They both help with healing and one increases his health by 15%. Those should help with healing through the tantrums.

Also another way to maximize your raids DPS on that boss is to pop Bloodlust/Heroism at 78% going into the first heart. You may be thinking that it sounds stupid to do that but in fact its more beneficial than popping it regular because the scales the damage done by 30-50% (I can't remember). This means the damage done to it converts back and can send him directly into another heart phase or about 2% away from one. The only issue with that is dealing with the scrapbots and bomb bots at that point.

I hope this helps.
Noravis

Postby Jasari » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:08 am

Noravis wrote:My guild always uses 2 tanks for this fight because we ignore the pummelers and never DPS them down. We have our DK go Blood Spec and then I stand on the left side of the boss and just pick up adds and stand in place for the most part. I off tank the adds the whole fight. Its the most reliable and safe way to do the fight especially if you're saying your DPS is low, you can have up to 9 pummelers on you in the event that at every 25% he spawns 3 (Its happened to us). If your DK who is undergeared goes blood he will have a much larger health pool and his single target threat will be enormous and in addition will have 2 more cooldowns, Mark of Blood and Vampiric Blood. They both help with healing and one increases his health by 15%. Those should help with healing through the tantrums.

Also another way to maximize your raids DPS on that boss is to pop Bloodlust/Heroism at 78% going into the first heart. You may be thinking that it sounds stupid to do that but in fact its more beneficial than popping it regular because the scales the damage done by 30-50% (I can't remember). This means the damage done to it converts back and can send him directly into another heart phase or about 2% away from one. The only issue with that is dealing with the scrapbots and bomb bots at that point.

I hope this helps.

The solo tanking strat doesn't involve killing the pummelers either (unless you're doing hardmode) and allows you to have an extra DPS on the boss.
Jasari

Postby Doogiehowser » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:54 am

Great, thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll make this suggestion to our guild to try and solo tank him.

I've been thinking about poppling bloodlust/heroism when the heart comes out. It makes sense to me since you can look at it as a "burn phase".
Doogiehowser

Postby Seloei » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:30 am

Be careful however if you blow bloodlust during the heart that you don't kill it or you start the hardmode. Also doesn't he go back into heartmode right after he comes out, if you take it under (old 40%, not sure about the new health percent)? While tanking him between the piles he wil spawn less adds that come from further away so you can theoreticly burn 2 heart's down before the first scrapbots reach melee range.
If you have any melee/hunters/mages the pummelers will die themselves over time so you don't need to worry about them, on 25man when either me or the other tank picks up the pummelers we drag em to the boss and both die before the next set spawns or are close to it.
Seloei

Postby Pala » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm

My raid group on 10 and 25 tank her against the far right wall as you first enter the courtyard. Doing this only causes the two far left piles to generate adds. I solo tank her and adds on 10 and just tank her on 25. The dps have a long time to kill the adds if they need it but at the same time they could hold off and stay on the heart until the adds cross halfway. On 10 man I face the wall, have XT face the raid. Then I swing my camera around and just watch for the Pummelers when they come. As we get more gear we are spending more time in the heart phases primarily and less time in the XT's normal mode. Try this out. You can swing her around and just look through her legs if you wanted. I think it is good exercise to tank in weird camera angles though. :)
[Palatinus] & [Kury] - Earthen Ring US
Pala
Maintankadonor

Postby Zoltar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:01 pm

I always solo tank XT in 10 man. The number of pummelers spawning seems random. Sometimes you hardly get any while other times you get a bunch. Last reset I think I got 7. I was surprised to see so many. Healers hept me alive with 7 pummelers and XT reasonably easily.

While tanking XT I simply rotate my camera 90 degrees so I can see and pummelers spawning from the junk piles on the other side of the room and taunt, exorcism, shield toss them to bring them to me. Not sure if it has been mentioned but if you tank him directly between the junk piles on either the right or the left of his room then bots will only spawn from the two locations on the opposite side of the room, not next to him.
Zoltar

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Pummelers are a bit random.
Ive (inadvertantly) solo tanked XT in 25 man with 4 pummelers up.
MT dropped dead and i had to pickup the boss.
Good gear and healers who are on the ball help.

Save trinkets and 1/2 damage cooldown for tantrum.
A raid aving hunters & rogues who are smart enough to MD/tricks of the trade the pummelers to you is also benificial.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Horanur » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 am

So i tried this setup last night;

Warrior MT
1x Warrior
1x Rogue
1x Ret Pally (me)
1x Mage
1x Hunter
2x Moonkin
2x Holy Priests

We finally wiped at 800k due to the healers being OOM among other things. We have not killed Yogg yet due to some guild re-structuring. We are now over-geared for this content but i think execution played a big part in this failure.
I noticed that the sparks were not really going where we wanted them too, are warriors simply unable to force-taunt like we can? Also we were having trouble pushing him into hard mode. I think our heavy melee and lack of a shaman was killing us. Unfortunately the mage was an officer and basically pulled rank to get into the raid over the shaman that i wanted to bring...

I think it was VERY doable with 2 healers, but the fact that they were running OOM by 40% tells me that we had poor execution.

*NOTE* The warrior main tank is one of the most skilled players i have ever raided with, and both healers are outstanding as well, so i think this is more of a DPS movement issue than anything else, and perhaps a class-mechanics issue with the warrior taunting sparks.

Any thoughts? I know i haven't really posed a specific question here, just looking for feedback :D
Horanur

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 am

The only disadvantage I can think of for warriors is that they can't "taunt followed closely my exorcism like we can', which gives enough threat to holy the spark for a little while. They can just taunt and then lose it right away.
Jasari

Postby Horanur » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:03 am

Ok that's what i was afraid of. I just saw the sparks running around after people alot of the time. I think i am better suited to tank this TBH but the group comp that night made it a better dps call for me to be ret. Since we already had one warrior there was 0 dps stacking benefit to be had by adding a 2nd warrior, whereas a ret pally aura is very nice. Also is seemed like using 3 healers and 1 tank would be viable as well, provided you had much better stacking and a shaman along with you for HERO/BL. Overall though i think that people were simply eating too much damage from bombs and sparks. I had to call for dps on the life sparks several times before they started to die, and it drove our healers OOM.
Horanur

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon