Remove Advertisements

[Priest] Professions for a Healing Priest ?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Priest] Professions for a Healing Priest ?

Postby sherck » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:18 am

Come on, seriously? You have PRIEST in the gorram thread subject, you couldn't have thrown it in front as a tag? Sheesh. -Baelor

I have re-rolled from my Holy Paladin to a Priest on a new server and faction. I have gone Mining and Herbalism (have a sensing switch macro bound to my "r" key so I can switch back and forth easily as I run....2nd nature now) in order to maximize money making and will continue to do so until my mid-70s in order to build up a big, fat bank account.

My question is, what professions would you choose for a raiding healing Priest (I will be dual-specced Holy and healing Disc at 80)?

I know that Tailoring would do a fine job with helping me get ready for raiding; but once I get Naxx geared (which only takes a couple of weeks after hitting levle 80), does it do much for me ?

I have been a 450 Enchanter before and while it saves a lot of cash and can be a good source of income, I was underwhelmed by the extra 38 Spell Power on my rings.

How are the prospects of JC or Inscription for a Priest? Alchemy?

Thougths?

Cheers,
sherck

Re: Professions for a Healing Priest ?

Postby Levantine » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:23 am

Exactly the same. Except Tailoring, which I'm not sure about, I believe that one to be an enchant equivalent to free mp5'z
Levantine

Postby amh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:24 am

Tailoring in itself does nothing for gearing you up, since none of the good stuff requires tailoring to use. The cloak-enchants are very good for caster-dps, and I reckon the chance-mana-return is quite good for healers. I'd probably go tailoring + JC or BS. Alchemy is also good since you can choose what stat you want (SP, int, spirit?), but you don't really get any benefit on fights where you don't bother using consumables.

The fixed ones are less good (inscription, LW), since you don't necessarily gem for spell-power as a healer.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:33 am

amh wrote:The fixed ones are less good (inscription, LW), since you don't necessarily gem for spell-power as a healer.

There is an interesting statement (bold mine).

What is the stat order for Holy Priests? Disc Priests? I can find about 10 different points of view depending on what site I want to quote as to which stats are important to concentrate on.

Haste appears to be bad for a Holy Priest, but good for a Disc Healer.

Stacking SP for a Disc Healer has been supported for their sheilds and Renew, while it has also been supported for a Holy's AoE heals.

Holy stacks Spirit for it's SP conversion, but then again so does Disc for their in-combat regen.

What order would you recommend stacking stats for a healing priest?

Cheers,
sherck

Postby amh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:36 am

I haven't healed on my priest since TBC, but what from I've seen, disco-priests gem for intellect (and intellect/SP for socket bonus). Gonna wait for proper healer-feedback on that one, though :)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:48 am

Mine's an Alchemist/Tailor. Works fine.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Chanticleer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:05 am

The thing about healing is it really depends on one's play style how one will gem/chant/gear. Two disc priests who are both set for 100% main tank healing will have very different goals, simply because one chooses to focus on Greater Heal rather than Flash. You are at a bit of disadvantage in that even with the disparities in the spec, holy and disc do require different levels to succeed. Disc will always lean toward intellect, and holy loves some spirit, and tends to like more spell-power than disc. Haste and crit can be debated forever, but a nice way to think of it is to stack enough haste that your most utilized spell(GH, FH, PoH) is at a manageable cast time, then strike a balance from there.

Personally I'm a disc priest who pops to shadow on hard modes, and have found enchanting and skinning to work really well for me. I don't have much time to farm outside our raid schedule, so skinning in heroics and Hodir's cave keep me repaired as well as enchanting random folk on the bank steps. While crit and spell-power may not by my top stats at any given time, they're always needed. By popping them in a passive skill and on rings, I am free to focus the rest of my gear set toward haste, intellect, spirit or whatever I need at the given time.
Chanticleer

Postby alayire » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 am

amh wrote:I haven't healed on my priest since TBC, but what from I've seen, disco-priests gem for intellect (and intellect/SP for socket bonus). Gonna wait for proper healer-feedback on that one, though :)
i'm disapointed by you tbh since you should have known this.
once you attain enough regen (witch you will at a certain point in gearing) what else can you stack besides SP?
SP has like twice as much throughput weight as any other stat available for priests so there is no limit as where to go from this.
basicly both disc and holy gem for int for regen and SP for throughput.

about the professions right now moust of them (inscription,JC, BS, enchanting, LW, alch) provide around 37 SP. Alch can also provide 13 or so MP5 instead of SP and Tailoring gives 16.5 MP5 but you lose some haste or spirit. the numbers will go up (mixicology bonus might be higher, haven't checked) with the new patch .. but they are fairly balanced.

if you ask me .. the safest bet is always Tailoring/Enchanting. they have good sinergy, are easy to skill up together and are self-sustaining. the rest need outside help or money to get by .. but if you have them BS/JC is also good.
alayire

Postby katraya » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 am

This is going a bit off topic but since the OP brought up the question I think it is ok. :wink:

The most updated stat weights are:

Disc Holy
MP5 1.0000 1.0000
Spirit 0.3317 0.6397
Intellect 0.7853 0.7480
SP 0.6000 0.6000
Crit 0.3564 0.3763
Stamina 0.2000 0.2000
Haste 0.2925 0.3059
(Ugh, that looks much better when I am editing then when I post)

On further investigation it looks like the above are stat weights for max longevity. He has listed seperate stats weights for max throughput here: http://bobturkey.wordpress.com/2009/05/ ... hroughput/

Of course, your specific needs may vary greatly. With some of the 3.1 mana changes the stat targets for disc and holy are a bit closer together, even holy priests get more regen from int then spirit but you still get the spellpower buff from spirit.

One thing I wanted to touch on was what you said about haste. While disc priests do like their haste they don't need to gear/gem for it quite so much since they have so much built into their talents - Borrowed Time is almost always up.

Rawr has a pretty nice set up for priests. There are various configurations depending on your spec/role/main spells used.

As for professions mine is Inscription/Herbalism. It definitely isn't the most min/maxed combo but I needed an herber and I had most other professions covered by other toons. Plus, this way I can ignore those bastard Sons of Hodir. :wink:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Dimitry » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 am

Katraya wrote:This is going a bit off topic but since the OP brought up the question I think it is ok. :wink:

I agree. On my disc priest (using tailoring / enchanting because I'd never really done either one), I'm using TheDoctor from Elitist Jerks's stat weighting for balanced throughput/longevity (60/40):

Intelligence - 0.65
Spirit - 0.22
Haste Rating - 0.59
Crit Ratng - 0.48
Spell Power - 1.0
Mp5 - 0.67

I really can't evaluate whether or not these numbers are working for me in a raiding environment, since my priest is only doing Naxx-10 with some seriously over-geared DPS and well geared tanks. (farming for shards)

Like I said, I've never really done tailoring or enchanting before, so I'm sticking with those. The self-only enchants are OK. Ditto for the self-only tailoring stuff. It's an alt, so cutting down costs helps me have more fun and spend less time farming.
Dimitry

Postby amh » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am

alayire wrote:i'm disapointed by you tbh since you should have known this.

I'm so sorry :(

alayire wrote:if you ask me .. the safest bet is always Tailoring/Enchanting. they have good sinergy, are easy to skill up together and are self-sustaining. the rest need outside help or money to get by .. but if you have them BS/JC is also good.

Safe bet, yes, but flexibility is awesome :) When you got the chance to select professions, totally unbiased, I think he should grab something that can suit any situation / spec.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby alayire » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:58 am

amh wrote:Safe bet, yes, but flexibility is awesome :) When you got the chance to select professions, totally unbiased, I think he should grab something that can suit any situation / spec.
then you are basicly down to the perks they offer.

Enchanting doesn't offer any perks from what i know ... besides the money you can make off it.
Tailoring comes with more frostweave and a flying carpet :D i don't know if the netherweave net thingies still work on 80's .. they were sort of nice.
Alchemy has a few nice perks .. like the infinite mana/health pot, the crazy alch pot (witch sadly isn't as good as the first one) and the trinket witch isn't that bad but not that good either (the haste/sp one ofc) and we might see an upgrade soon. but the nicest one yet is the bonus time on the flask tbh. in the long run it will save lots of money.
Inscription has ummm .. 2 i think? the first one would be the fact you don't have to grind exalted for the shoulder enchant. and i'm guessing it's much cheaper too. and the second is the recall scrolls(the ones that don't use your heartstone) but truth be told .. they were much better when HS had 1 hour CD. you could count scrolls here too( i used to use stam scrolls when we didn't have priests in raid) .. as a priest you can use the intelect one but .. meh.

i'm thinking .. but besides the trinkets .. JC doesn't seem to give any good perks at 80. well it does now with the prismatics .. but that will soon change.
alayire

Postby majiben » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 am

JC has variable stat choice (Haste, SP, Int, Spirit) and the daily as perks in addition to the trinkets.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby amh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:27 am

alayire wrote:
amh wrote:Safe bet, yes, but flexibility is awesome :) When you got the chance to select professions, totally unbiased, I think he should grab something that can suit any situation / spec.
then you are basicly down to the perks they offer.

No, not really. As you said:
once you attain enough regen (witch you will at a certain point in gearing) what else can you stack besides SP?

Spell-power is the end-state of gearing. You want your crit at a certain level, your regen at a certain level, your haste at a certain level. Once all that´s covered, gogo spell-power. By choosing a versatile profession you can focus on which ever is your weak point in any given gear-set, instead of skipping straight to the end-state when you might be better off with another stat. In addition, once you do want to stack spell-power, the versatile professions have the potential to grant just as much of it as a static one (LW, inscription).

That´s why I think that (tailoring) JC / BS / alchemy are superior to LW / inscription.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby alayire » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:28 am

not going to argue with that but for me perks = more flexibility.
that's why i noted them down cause sometimes there's more to a profession then gains. actually i never look at gains when i'm picking professions for a new toon ... but that's just me :P
alayire

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes