Remove Advertisements

[10] Freya Hard mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Freya Hard mode

Postby amh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:32 am

Threatco wrote: For DPS heavy fights like this hard mode and hodir, how geared does your dps need to be to make it more about skill then luck?

(...)

Mabey if I had better class synergie? Any recomendation? Should I just stack magic damage?

Freya is definitely an execution-fight. The only thing I see as *required* on this fight is a mage (preferably frost) to frost nova the detonating lashers after you have aoe´d them down low. Stacking too many ranged will give you problems in phase 2, because you´re pretty much going to be constantly

- killing roots
- moving out of green shit
- hopefully hitting her a few times
- killing roots
- moving out o....

Melee excel at this, ranged not so much.

Hodir is an even better example. If you can

1. stack ranged near a bonfire,
2.keep Singed up (let your hunters know that Singed is a huge dps-increase for them, atleast for the surv.-hunter. Singed did almost 30% of our hunter´s dps last kill, it procs off explosive shot I believe)
3. break out the mages and shamans instantly,
4. spread the storm cloud quickly,

.. then you can get by with very far from BiS gear.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 am

We did it without a mage (not by choice). We used two ferals that alternated aoe taunts. Aoe taunted, ran away from the boss, raid tried to AOE them down while they had a chance (and didn't get nearly enough of them).
Belloc

Postby amh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:03 pm

For the second kill, our group had 2 shamans doing "cc". Wiped quite a few times on it last night. Got one of the shamans to bring in his pvp-geared-and-specced frost-mage today for nova + ranged nova refresh. Two-shot it.

If you want to cheese this encounter, get a frost-mage. Stack up on Freya's feet, aoe the adds down to 15-20% - kill roots - frost nova and get out. Pew pew aoe, ranged nova refresh, pew pew done. Now wait 10 seconds for the next wave.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:03 am

Freya 3T was zerged... Makes me disappointed since it's a pretty awesome fight otherwise:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?t ... msg1029377
Jasari

Postby amh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:32 am

>.<

I don't know what to say. Also, why can't the bloody rogue stand still?
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:53 am

amh wrote:>.<

I don't know what to say. Also, why can't the bloody rogue stand still?

Incoming hot fix (hopefully)

"Freya is now immune to -healing debuffs"
Jasari

Postby Belloc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:14 am

If anything, they'd just make the boss heal more at higher stacks. Removing healing debuffs would hurt the achievement that, you know, requires you to leave adds up.

Besides, the only people capable of zerging freya are 25-man geared raiders. 10-man geared raiders will fail at the zerg and have to do it the proper way. Much like Sarth 3d zerg, I don't see this being nerfed.
Belloc

Postby amh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 am

Belloc wrote:Besides, the only people capable of zerging freya are 25-man geared raiders. 10-man geared raiders will fail at the zerg and have to do it the proper way. Much like Sarth 3d zerg, I don't see this being nerfed.

This doesn't justify leaving the lolmode available, in my opinion. That they didn't bother to fix/buff Sarth3d annoyed me greatly, if they leave this one as it is.. I dunno. It's getting stupid.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Avengeance » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 am

Doing it normally is probably easier than zerg anyway...
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Jasari » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:24 am

amh wrote:
Belloc wrote:Besides, the only people capable of zerging freya are 25-man geared raiders. 10-man geared raiders will fail at the zerg and have to do it the proper way. Much like Sarth 3d zerg, I don't see this being nerfed.

This doesn't justify leaving the lolmode available, in my opinion. That they didn't bother to fix/buff Sarth3d annoyed me greatly, if they leave this one as it is.. I dunno. It's getting stupid.

At the time they said that if the Sarth zerg strat had come about sooner they probably would have addressed it. I'm hoping that it is still early enough in Ulduar's lifespan that they consider this a problem and fix it.

That said, my guild isn't geared enough for it so we'll be doing it the normal way regardless.
Jasari

Postby amh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Ghostcrawler wrote:
Random wrote:on a side note, didn't you say this wouldn't happen with future encounters? Any plans to adjust this fight to make this impossible?

We'd rather keep encounter specifics like this in the dungeon and raid forum, but most likely we will fix it.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/27/1777953 ... -zerg.html
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Bornakk wrote:6/15/09
The additional healing Freya receives, through the Attuned to Nature buff, has been increased.
Focus Anger, on Yogg-Saron’s Crusher tentacles, will no longer result from pet attacks.
Pyrite will now disappear after 3 minutes instead of 1 minute.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/23/1763161 ... -6409.html

So a fix to Freya, and a further nerf to Flame Leviathan .)
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby solidice » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm

So we've been banging our heads against this one the past few days. The problem for us is the detonating lashers.

We have:

1- Feral druid (tank)
1- Prot Paladin (though i've been going as ret)
1- Rogue
2- Hunters
1- Ele Sham
1- Boomkin
1- Disc Priest
1- Holy Priest
1- Resto druid

So, no frost mage, no warlock.

Right now we stack up, AOE them down to about 20% (though some will be higher some lower). Then the sham roots them, and we split off into two groups, get 20 yards away, and start single target killing whatever escapes the last aoe blast.

The problem is, we always have 2-3 alive when the next wave of adds come, and we can't catch back up.

Is our strat the right idea? Are there other tips people have for this group?
solidice

Postby Belloc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:20 pm

Make sure your hunter is dropping an aoe slow (frost?) trap before everyone runs out. Stop aoe entirely before using the AOE roots to ensure that they don't break early.

The goal, of course, is to kill the adds before they are able to reach anyone. 20% of their health isn't a lot, but many will tend to get close enough to blow people up.

So, what else can be done? Well, your shaman can blow an earth elemental totem, which will AOE taunt everything. This, along with the slow, should give you plenty of time to just aoe on top of the earth elemental. Note, however, that you will want to save this for the second set of adds because of the long cooldown.

I'm not sure if the fire elemental aoe taunts as well, but it would certainly be preferable if it does (the detonators do nothing but fire damage, afaik).

Or, you can do what we did on our last kill: Spread out, watch the health bars on grid, kill adds that are near you, and call out for a full stop if anyone gets under half health. If players can stop and start on command, you can kill them very quickly. Notice that I did not say to focus fire one at a time -- kill whatever is near you. If everyone is spread out, damage should be as well.

Finally, keep fire resistance aura up for these phases and use bubble-->divine sacrifice when the adds start blowing up. If you don't have it, ask yourself why. Every prot and ret paladin should have it.
Belloc

Previous

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon