[10] Alone In The Darkness

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Alone In The Darkness

Postby Avengeance » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Gonna work on this this reset - anyone got any tips with regards to dealing with P3 adds? Is 1 tank + Plate DPS as OT doable in P3? or you have to go 2 full tanks? If i'm correct, you need someone to taunt the empowered add away from the add pile until the buff wears off?

Also, does DBM mark the empowered add, or is there some effective way to find the add when thers like 8 of them up?
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Re: [10] Alone In The Darkness

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:48 pm

We haven't gotten to P3 with Alone in the Darkness yet, but I doubt you will get away with anything less than two fully geared tanks. Two full power adds will one-round anyone, and a plate DPS might not have enough HP to take even one full hit. It may be doable since in theory the empowered add shouldn't be at full strength, but it's also being healed.

As for the rest, I am curious as well. Supposedly there will be more than one add getting empowered if there are enough up, but I haven't been able to confirm the behavior.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby kram » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm

he casts beacon on the add (its a buff that lasts 10 sec) before it gets empowered.
kram

Postby Nadir » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:00 am

The only Alone in the Darkness video I've seen used one Druid MT. I'm not sure if they had a plate DPS OT. Unless you have enough Aura Masteries to negate the silence effect, a sole Paladin tank is going to have a lot of trouble keeping threat and picking up all of the adds.
Nadir

Postby PsiVen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 am

Wait, what silence effect? I've never noticed being silenced in P3.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:32 am

I think the silenece only happens in 25 (for legendary quest), I did One Light on 10 last week and didnt have silence in P3.

So wait... Beacon and Empowered is 2 diff buffs? I thought Empowered Shadows = the beacon which heals everything around that add?
Avengeance

Postby Conaan! » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 am

PsiVen wrote:Wait, what silence effect? I've never noticed being silenced in P3.

without a keeper he deep breaths more

seriously though, he does this maw thing, where you throw the hammer in during the cast, does some damage to the raid and silences the raid
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 am

It doesnt happen in 10 men.
Avengeance

Postby kram » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:49 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64465
http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64468

I think there are only two videos out there of a 10man kill, one they used a feral druid to pull the add out of the raid the other I think they just aoed durring/after empowering.

I haven't really looked for it but I think there may be some kind of animation above the guardian's head when it gains the beacon.
kram

Postby Avengeance » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Ye i saw both videos - the single tank one used a Rogue with FOK to probably apply Wounded poison, then they just kept all the adds low while they were being healed (which is only 100k over 20 seconds).

Im probablly in favour of solo tanking method, so we can squeeze out more dps in other phases (and I dont haev a feral ;/).
Avengeance

Postby Joanadark » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Gonna work on this this reset - anyone got any tips with regards to dealing with P3 adds? Is 1 tank + Plate DPS as OT doable in P3? or you have to go 2 full tanks? If i'm correct, you need someone to taunt the empowered add away from the add pile until the buff wears off?

Also, does DBM mark the empowered add, or is there some effective way to find the add when thers like 8 of them up?

We use a DPS DK going frost presence to pull out the add with Empowering Shadows, and it works fine. We have two melee DPS always attacking adds to bring their HP down, and one of them just switches onto the Empowered one and follows it out to counteract the heal so that his damage doesnt increase much. Generally we have the rogue do that task. He fan of knives wound poison onto all the adds right as ES goes out, and then he keeps wound poison up on the ES add until ES is done.

Its easy to spot which one is ES'd. A gigantic purple hunter's mark-looking arrow thing appears over their head.

No theres no silence whatsoever.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Markoh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:22 pm

We started working Alone in the darkness this week, right now we are doing 1 healer and 1-2 tanks (we tried both).

I had an idea on this, but it's not very good for us. Basically its use no tanks (just a 2 semi tanks aka dps ferals or dks in bear/frost presence with full dps gear on) and at least 2 preferably 3 dks. If your crusher tank is good he should rarely take a hit from the crushers at all, and almost never 2 in a row. The only hard part of this fight is p3 so here is how we were going to deal with p3.

Chain army of the dead, aka when the first is about to end the 2nd dk starts and to the third if needed, with this just burn yogg down. We were able to get him decently low with me tanking and just trying to burn him, with an extra dps and the time 2-3 army of the deads buy you should easily be able to burn him down.

We didn't really try this because it was late, but the only real drawbacks are that firstly I won't be there for the kill (sigh first benched in 25 now 10) and second that we would have to get 1-2 extra dks saved to the instance just for one fight. I really think if your dps is good enough you can easily pull off the burn, if anything you could probably bring a hybrid healer who is half dps half healing spec and they can help with the burn. Also important to note is your dps needs to be able to bring down the brain quickly (2 phases) with no blood lust b/c you will need it in p3.
Markoh

Postby Belloc » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:58 pm

When you tried it last time, were you tanking the adds far enough away from yogg to prevent him from healing?

If so, that won't be the case when having army of the dead tanking.
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:04 pm

The heal is not really all that much, iirc like 225k, the point is to burn him in 1 min 30 seconds (with 3 dks 1 min flat with 2) which is very feasible with 9 possibly 9.5 well geared dps. You will get at least one heal, but your going to basically have to just burn through it.

EDIT: I was looking at the 25 version of engulfing shadows. He should only cast this heal on any that get low, and since your straight burning yogg himself that should be a non issue. But even if he chain casts it thats only 2 heals or having to burn a total of about 3.5 million damage. If you go with 9 dps each will have to do at least 4.5k dps as a bare minimum to get the burn done. That number is a rough estimate but even so these numbers are extremely attainable, the only real question that arises is will one army of the dead last the 30 seconds, specifically near the end.

Really this is all an idea, nothing more. No way this is the intended way of doing the fight, kind of like the recent freya 3 burn video where they just dpsed her down at full stacks. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvKiJsG ... r_embedded for those curious)
Markoh

Postby trellian » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 am

I'm not sure how much they het for in 10-man, but I really doubt your Army will be able to tank them for that long with 9 buffs on them.
trellian

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon