Remove Advertisements

Heroic Mechanar - Tempest Forge Destroyer

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Mechanar - Tempest Forge Destroyer

Postby cryst » Mon May 28, 2007 1:24 am

After the recent patch, the group I normally run Heroics with has come into a snag with Destroyers in Heroic Mech.

Group composition is as follows:

Prot Pally Tank (myself)
Affliction Lock (friend, permanent party spot)
Survival Hunter (friend, permanent party spot)

then we normally pick up a Mage and a healer of some sort (which surprisingly is usually a priest).

Pre-patch, the lock would put Curse of Tongues on the Destroyers so we'd have an easier time seeing the cast timer for Charged Fists. Typically, Charged Fists gets casted 4-5 times through a fight. The mage counterspells the first and fourth Charged Fists, while I HoJ and Arcane Torrent the second and third. This usually left our healer with plenty of breathing room to heal, since the only problem would be with a mistimed knockdown coupled with a lack of dodged/parried attacks.

However, post-patch, we found out, to our dismay, that Destroyers are now both immune to Curse of Tongues and silence of any sort (be it counterspell or arcane torrent). We changed our strategy to having Curse of Weakness placed on the Destroyer, with me stunning the second Charged Fist to allow the healer to keep up with the damage. From then on, it's a matter of luck, especially after I've blown both the Healthstone and health pot.

I'm wondering if anyone else had trouble tanking these Destroyers post-patch. Would I necessarily need to replace the Mage with a Rogue? Is it a problem with my gear (check armory if needed)? Or do I have to rely on avoidance to carry me through the few seconds after a knockdown (which still doesn't address the problem of a Charged Fist attack)?
cryst
Maintankadonor

Postby Caerdwynn » Mon May 28, 2007 8:16 am

3 things to do when you're having problems with this.

1.) Bring a dps warrior (shield slam), shaman (earthshock), or rogue (kick). Silencing Shot is also an option, I believe (though this may have changed with 2.1)

2.) HoJ the 1st one, heal yourself/bandage for 6 seconds (saves healer mana, gives everyone a quick break).

3.) Bring arcane resist gear specifically for these mobs.

I tank this daily.. it's still a bit of a strain on the healer, but these coupla things can definitely make it easier.

Also, if you bring a pally healer instead of a priest, you have one more HoJ per fight.

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

Postby Arcand » Mon May 28, 2007 9:17 am

Are you sure Counterspell isn't working?

If a bad guy is immune to silence, like for example the bat priestess in Zul'Gurub (Mar'Li?) you can Counterspell their casts...but the silence part of the effect won't take and because of that you'll get an Immune message.

I know Curse of Tongues doesn't help anymore because we've tried it many times post patch, and a Felhound's Spell Lock doesn't seem to do it either. Best time I've had on them recently was with a warrior Pummeling.

I've also started bringing the best pieces of the arcane protection gear I've been getting for the Curator. Resisting 25% of Charged Fist damage is quite a lot.

Has anyone tried Mind-Numbing Poison?
Arcand

Postby cryst » Mon May 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Actually, I'm not positive if counterspell's interrupt component is working. Now that I think about it, it might be. We had an Arcane Mage that time, so I'm sure his Imp CS was getting the immune message instead. Slow apparently works on them, though its duration barely helps on the whole.

It'll take me a while to get all the adamantite (and gems) needed to craft and socket the 4 pieces of enchanted adamantite. Looks like I'll be needing it regardless of these Destroyers (the Peacekeepers in Botanica especially come to mind).

As for now, I'll try replacing the Mage slot with a Rogue, as we mostly use the mage for his CC (particularly on Netherbinders early in the dungeon). If it comes down to having to bring a non-cc dps class, I should still be able to tank both a Physician and Netherbinder at the same time with focus fire on the Netherbinders. Centurions need CC at least, as a 5k Solar Strike at the wrong time could spell trouble.

Thanks for the tips. Any more would be appreciated as well.
cryst
Maintankadonor

Postby Caerdwynn » Mon May 28, 2007 1:05 pm

Cryst wrote: Looks like I'll be needing it regardless of these Destroyers (the Peacekeepers in Botanica especially come to mind).

I might be wrong, but I believe I remember reading in the patch notes that these guys don't do arcane damage anymore.

Jesus: "I can offer you eternal Salvation."
Disciples: "Can I get Might or Kings instead?"
Caerdwynn

Postby cryst » Mon May 28, 2007 2:04 pm

Caerdwynn wrote:
Cryst wrote: Looks like I'll be needing it regardless of these Destroyers (the Peacekeepers in Botanica especially come to mind).

I might be wrong, but I believe I remember reading in the patch notes that these guys don't do arcane damage anymore.

"Tempest-Forge Peacekeepers now deal Physical melee damage instead of Arcane, and now longer perform the Arcane Blast ability on Heroic difficulty."

Hurray!
cryst
Maintankadonor

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics