[Ret-PvE]Need help with improving DPS

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [Ret-PvE]Need help with improving DPS

Postby Jonlo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Yeah I solo those dailies in about 30 mins. My Fishing is about 350 and cooking is 420. I need to learn this AH thing, to get those extra sockets.
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm

I would suggest the JC market but I undercut mercilessly on our server. Still some money to be made.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Jonlo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:26 pm

Majiben wrote:I would suggest the JC market but I undercut mercilessly on our server. Still some money to be made.

You son of a...

:P
Jonlo
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Baelor wrote:
Jonlo wrote:See I'm getting conflicting reports from all over the place on this one. And I can't test it until tonight on Deconstructor. Hmmmmmmmmm

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-pala ... ost1271625
Now I'm curious - hopefully EJ can help without getting me eviscerated by moderators.

Dear Cathmor,

You have received an infraction at Elitist Jerks.

Reason: 7. Do not beg for hand-holding.
-------
Apparently you need to refine your searching abilities somewhat.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:
http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t36779-p...ml#post1271625
Tried using the search function, couldn't find the answer quickly. Please don't stone me if this has been answered clearly.

Does Divine Sacrifice redirect damage until 150% of the paladin's HP has been transferred and taken as damage, or until 150% of the paladin's HP has been simply transferred as damage to the paladin?

To clarify -

If I use Divine Sacrifice alone, I'll have a percentage of raid damage transferred to me until I've taken roughly 40k damage (as I run with ~27k raid buffed HP).
However, if I use Divine Shield and then Divine Sacrifice, which will happen?
1. Up to 40k damage will be transferred and absorbed by my Divine Shield and then Divine Sacrifice will cease functioning.
2. A percentage of the raid damage will continually transfer to me until Divine Sacrifice runs out, or I have actually taken 40k damage (which would be fairly difficult to do while under the effects of Divine Shield).

All the best,
Elitist Jerks
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:02 am

Well what do you expect? They're Jerks!
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:23 am

Ulushnar wrote:Well what do you expect? They're Jerks!

I dunno - I figured that I capitalized, puncuated, used proper English, and phrased my question well. I even used the search function prior to asking. I expected the post to be ignored, natch.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:55 am

It's definitely the kind of obscure question that I would respect, rather than the kind that gets replies of "READ THE STICKIES NOOB!"
Fedaykin98

Postby majiben » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 am

They have this terrible idea that you should read entire threads that are unindexed for your answer because the people posing questions don't word them to be ideal for a search engine. For that question alone you would have to search any of the numerous combinations of the following:"

Divine
Sacrafice
DS
DivSac
Dsac
fading
fades
cancel
falling off
not working
work
how
etc....

not to mention they don't allow search terms smaller than 4 letters.

Hell I got an infraction for the following for :

I'm not sure you can say definitely Paladins are the best single target healer when they lack an armor proc (5+% damage reduction) and only have SS to counter-act dam the age preemptively. Yes they might have the highest HPS but that may not be the best measure of single target healing.
majiben

Postby Kelaan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Let us Hypothesize that Divine Sacrifice DOES absorb the entire time that Divine Shield is active.

{Edit: Moving this elsewhere. ;)}
Kelaan

Postby Lore » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am

One of my most common places to use Divine Sac is on XT during Tantrums (everyone in the raid takes 10% of their health as damage every second for 8 seconds). When I DS then DSac, I get "0 spam" until the Tantrum stops. That's way more than 150% of my health in damage over the course of the Tantrum. The question, then, is is it still absorbing damage or does it continue to spam with 0s after it stops absorbing?
Lore
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:56 am

It's still going as I almost got gibbed on a poor heigan dance. was late hitting DSac after DS and DS fell off a half second earlier which happened to correspond with a floor burst almost killing me. I had redirected well over 1.5 times my hp.
majiben

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 am

To go back to the original theme of "help me do better DPS"... Help me pimp my character's ret-ness! ;) (Somehow, that sounds so very wrong.) My character's armory is at http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=kelaan

so: I have a few things I need to do:
Improve my gear
1) finish Ebon Blade rep. I need about 9k more; are heroics the best way to get there, or am I best off just finishing quest chains in Icecrown? I'm about halfway through the challenge ciruit in Jotunheim, and have unlocked a few dailies.
2) Get a better libram, cloak, neck, rings, and trinkets. My cloak and neck are currently tanking pieces, as they beat the low-level blues I had before. But, the enchants are non-DPS enchants. I am tempted to try for a Naxx25 or U10 and see if stuff drops there, since they're all ~10% or more better than the badge ones I can buy. I want to be prepared, but don't really want to blow badges on something that Nearly Everything is an upgrade to. Is this flawed thinking?
2.5) I can in theory buy a DPS cloak, neck, and ring with badges^Wemblems. How good of an idea is it to get the crafted necklace? I don't think I can afford a Greatness trinket, yet, unfortunately.
3) Get some enchants on the items that don't have them; Engineering enchant on my gloves,
4) Try to find upgrades/sidegrades which don't have as much hit rating on them, as I am 73 hit rating over-budget (Draenei).

Tentative Shopping List
  • Cloak: Cloak of Bloodied Waters (~210g). Cheaper by FAR than the badge cloak, this should be enough to get me by until a U10 cloak drops.
  • Bracers: Wristbands of the Sentinel Huntress (60 EoValor). They're pretty much best in slot of what I'm going to see for several months, so I think that makes it a good buy. The BOE cloak makes me worry less about the cost of these.
  • Libram: I have the BoJ libram for SoCommand, and will need to work on getting the pvp libram if SoV ends up being better.
  • Neck: I am disinclined to spend 1000g on a 10 dps upgrade. So, Boundless Ambition stays, I think, until I see Anything drop.
  • Trinket: Saving for Greatness (lol), but in the meantime I'll need to farm DTK for Dred's trinket, I guess? Well, I do need the rep ...

Questions ... I has them.
  • Do you think it unwise to spend Valor (or Heroism) emblems on Ret upgrades (e.g., the plate bracers)? I could spend those emblems on epic gems (in 3.2).
  • Is it better to hope for upgrades (e.g., necklace and cloak) from Naxx25, or should I take the short-term upgrade while I can, and worry about gems later?
  • Which socket bonuses should I bother to meet?
  • Should I just macro my use-able trinkets and enchants (e.g., hyperspeed accelerators or pyro rocket) into commonly used abilities, like Crusader Strike?
  • Is there anything glaring that you think I am missing? I read about people doing 4.5k to 6k dps on things in Ulduar, and see myself doing ~2.6-3k (like several other of our DPS). Is that just gear speaking?
Kelaan

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:00 pm

I believe the Bracers of Unrelenting Attack (or something, from Gothik) are actually better then the EoV ones. However, the EoV ones are solid, and if you are Hit Capped without the BoUA, then you'd prefer the EoV ones with their tasty Expertise.

As I have done a lot of Naxx25 and Uld10 (and some U25, but no loot I want yet), I have tons of Hit on my gear.
Fedaykin98

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Heh, yeah, I am SO over-hit-capped. What's interesting is, when hit-capped, the belt from Razuvius ranks higher than the one I have, and when not-hit-capped, it's the other way around. I'm glad that Rawr should be able to help me pick the best combo (even if it's moot now, as I don't have the pieces without hit rating to swap in yet).

edit:
I am expecting the SoV glyph to have its expertise reduced... but if not, then I won't really care nearly as much about expertise on gear, I suspect, as I'd likely be capped for attacking-from-behind. Assuming SoV > SoC in 3.2, of course.
Kelaan

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:19 pm

I expect that glyph to change, and I expect that our relative stat weightings will change a bit as well. Or I should say, they are subject to possible change. With the changes to Exorcism and Seals, I feel like a lot of things are up in the air at the moment.

The belt of Raz is very, very nice, and what I'm using. I'm considering upgrading to Belt of the Titans at some point.

Regarding the glyph: I'd be very surprised if they just wanted to throw that much free Expertise at us. Between that one glyph and using a mace or sword, we'd be halfway to the Exp. cap without any on our gear.

The incoming changes have me feeling like I should be very careful with my GP (DKP) - I don't want to waste any. What I'm fairly sure won't change are my desires for a better weapon, and the excellence of the 4pc T8 bonus. Probably Greatness and Fury will still be the two best trinkets.
Fedaykin98

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes