[Ret-PvP] Starting Gear to Arena/BG/WG and Spec.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvP] Starting Gear to Arena/BG/WG and Spec.

Postby Avias » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey folks. I have finally decided to try and do some real pvp, instead of piddling with it.

I need to know what I need.

My current weapon is Death's Bite and I have a hateful and deadly piece.

That's it.

Any Ret pvp pros wanna impart some wisdom?

If you wanna update the spec for 3.1 that would be great!

PvE prot/ PvP ret methinks.

Later,

Avias
Avias

Postby Elsie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:01 pm

I think I wrote a ton about this before, but spec 0/20/51 and use 500-750 resilience depending on your bracket and composition.

You need at least 5% hit, but more is not wasted.
Elsie

Postby smeej » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:29 am

I recently started doing Arena with a Ret offspec and, yeah what Elsie said.

I finally broke 500 resilience and my 3v3 team is going a lot more smooth.

Berserking, Greatness, and a self-BoF are your friends. I had a Titansteel Destroyer crafted and was using that until an Inevitable Defeat dropped in Naxx 10, and it's been treating me well.

Also, Seal of Blood.
smeej

Re: [Ret-PvP] Starting Gear to Arena/BG/WG and Spec.

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am

I've been trying to find the right thread to tag this in, so I'm going to try here.

What I'm really looking for is advice on the order to buy items, or perhaps an algorithim on how to make the determination. Basically, buy this, then that sort of thing.

I run with a 3s team of Ret/MS War/Resto. We're currently sitting at just under 1500 team, and I'm about 1350 personal.

Armory is down right now, but I did log off in my PVP gear/spec.

Here's what you'lll see http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... norshammer

Helm: Titansteel
Neck: Might of Levithan (FL-10)
Back: Hateful
Shoulders: Hateful
Chest: Heroes (Naxx10)
Bracers: Lost Sentiments (Naxx25?)
Hands: Hateful
Belt: Ascended Phantom (Naxx)
Legs: Heroes (Naxx10)
Boots: Titan Forge (WG)
Ring: Deadly
Ring: Hateful
Trinket: Greatness
Trinket: Titan Forged (WG)
Weapon : Stormedge (Hodir-10)
Libram : Venture Company

I'm only sporting about 300 Resil and I can really feel it when the other team focuses me, which isn't terribly often, as they seem to like my Warrior partner better, but some teams try to burst me to get me to bubble.

I have about 1000 arena points, plus whatever i get my maintenance today and about 60k honor and 17 WG marks. We win WG very rarely on my server, so those marks are not easy to farm.
honorshammer

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 am

Basically, I spent a lot of time in Wintergrasp, as well as doing Battleground dailies. In most normal BGs you can get away with normal DPS gear, but stray away from anything too stamina-light. In AV, I normally just go as Prot and tank the bosses.

Resilience is great when you can get it, but don't nerf your DPS stats too much to get there. Get 5% hit then focus on Str/AP and Crit. Gem/enchant for DPS stats rather than survival ones and don't focus at all on secondary DPS stats like Expertise, Haste or ArP. If they're on a piece you're using, fine, but don't chase em.

This is pretty much what I use.

Head - Hateful w/ Wintergrasp AP/Resi enchant
Neck - DPS neck from Anub10 (also have the Deadly +hit neck, but I only use it if I want to go OTT resilience)
Shoulders - Hateful w/ Wintergrasp AP/Resi enchant
Back - BoE from Heroic Gundrak (again, I have the Deadly +hit cloak, but I don't tend to use it)
Chest - WG tokens chest with WG 20 Resi Gem and Resi enchant
Bracers - Deadly
Gloves - Hateful
Waist - Deadly
Legs - Hateful
Boots - Deadly
Ring - Hateful +Crit ring
Ring - Deadly +Hit ring
Trinket1 - +AP / PVP Trinket from WG
Trinket2 - Mirror of Truth (have the Anvil of the Titans for heavy Res fights)
Weapon - Ironsoul w/ Berserking
Libram - Venture Co. Ret Libram (Grinding arenas on off-days for the Deadly Ret Libram)

Except where noted, all gear pure DPS enchants and gems, I'm at 3.3k AP, 26% crit and about 580-ish Resilience.

Currently Honor Grinding for the Deadly +crit cloak and neck, but the PVE options in there don't exactly hurt me too much.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I assume everyone knows that you can get the Hateful set pieces ("Arena" gear) from either Honor or Valor tokens.

You can get Deadly off-set pieces from Honor.

I would always suggest that the first pieces you buy in a lower tier (meaning Hateful is 2 tiers lower than Furious) would be the ones that require the highest rating in the higher tiers - meaning, shoulders. You'll keep the shoulders longer, possibly forever. Along these lines, the last piece I would get would be gloves, because the Furious gloves have the lowest rating requirement. That said, the gloves are unique in that they give you 5% Crusader Strike damage, which is cool.

I recently was at the Honor cap, so I bought the Deadly cloak because the Furious one requires a super-high rating. I already had the Hateful one, but again, I was capped, so I made the slight upgrade.

On a related note, rather than "sell" my spare Valor badges by selling badge bracers to people, I plan to stockpile them for next season, and immediately replace any Hateful set pieces that I still have.
Fedaykin98

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:I assume everyone knows that you can get the Hateful set pieces ("Arena" gear) from either Honor or Valor tokens.

I believe the items are:

Emblems of Heroism: Blue pvp pieces
Emblems of Valor: Hateful
Emblems of Conquest: Deadly

Or, that's what Wowhead seems to say. I could be wrong, I haven't looked recently. Also, GREAT tip on what to buy in which tier.
Kelaan

Postby Selgar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:20 am

Ok, Elsie, Baelor and others. My question is about the 500 res limit. I have noticed that the pvp gear has absolute crap for crit rating and not wonderful AP. Switching to my pvp gear I gain 700 res but I lose over 7% crit and over 500 ap. Is it really worth losing that much offensively for the resilience?

Didn't log in pvp gear but I have hateful gloves and shoulders all the offset pieces and one deadly set piece (chest maybe?), it nets me right around 700 res with the pvp trinket.
Selgar

Postby Baelor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:21 am

Selgar wrote:Ok, Elsie, Baelor and others. My question is about the 500 res limit. I have noticed that the pvp gear has absolute crap for crit rating and not wonderful AP. Switching to my pvp gear I gain 700 res but I lose over 7% crit and over 500 ap. Is it really worth losing that much offensively for the resilience?

Didn't log in pvp gear but I have hateful gloves and shoulders all the offset pieces and one deadly set piece (chest maybe?), it nets me right around 700 res with the pvp trinket.

If you get done-did-blowed-up before you can touch your opponent, 500 AP and 7% crit does nothing for you.

It's all relative. If you get focused, you'll wish you had it.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:11 am

Baelor wrote:If you get done-did-blowed-up before you can touch your opponent, 500 AP and 7% crit does nothing for you.

It's all relative. If you get focused, you'll wish you had it.

This. My PVP gear trades about 3-400 AP and 5% crit for about 550ish Resilience, and I wouldn't trade back. In Arenas and BGs, you can see the difference when you're hitting someone in PVE gear or PVP gear. I don't like thinking about how much squishier I'd be without my Resilience.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Selgar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:27 am

Yeah, I definitely see the difference when I get focused. I guess it's just extremely frustrating since it makes it nigh impossible to kill a healer since I'm sitting at 24% crit they have a bajillion resilience making my crit like 5% and my attacks are so much punier. And in the lower brackets if I get focused I can just bubble and kill someone with my PvE gear.

Disclaimer: I suck at PvP
Selgar

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:30 am

Selgar wrote:Disclaimer: I suck at PvP

I wouldn't go that far! The problem's pretty common to all Rets. We have two stuns on long-ish cooldowns, no mortal strike and no reliable interrupts. A healer with any decent amount of Resilience is pretty hard to solo.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 am

It also depends on your team comp. I run Arms/Ret/Disc, which puts me last in line to be focus fired by pretty much every team. At least in the lower (ie: new team) brackets, I've been getting better results going in just full PVE gear.

That'll disappear as we get higher and the opponents get better at noticing how squishy I am, but it makes a nice jumping-off point at the beginning until I can get the rest of my resilience together.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 am

I had mostly BiS stuff pre-3.1, PvE gear-wise. I looked at a bunch of guides, and armoried a bunch of top Rets.

What I did was got to 4pc Arena set for the 2 and 4pc bonuses/Resilience, and kept my strongest PvE set piece (the 226 helm from Sarth25+2). I had a Hateful chest from Archavon, and got a Furious legs from Emalon, so I spent Valor badges on Hateful gloves and shoulders (although I could have spent Honor instead, although that takes grinding, and I had the badges gathering dust).

I happened to already have a Hateful cloak so I wore that, because Aged Winter Cloak doesn't pack STR. I read somewhere that it was good to use some PvE gear that itemizes STR. Similarly, I bought a Deadly ring to replace the Valor badge one, and kept Ruthlessness as my other ring slot.

I kept DMC:Greatness and Mirror at first. Then I tried a Battlemaster trinket, which is worthless. Went back to Mirror. Then I picked up DMC:Death because a lot of good Rets are using it for the burst.

As far as offset pieces for gear that does itemize STR, I decided to keep my PvE pieces until I get the rating to buy the Furious stuff. So far, that's been just the Furious Bracers and Belt. I'm sitting around 446 Res. or something around there. Last week I got Honor-capped again and decided to upgrade my Hateful cloak to Deadly.

Obviously with those two pieces being the only Furious gear I've earned I haven't experienced wild success, but I thought I'd share my process and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them. :)

Other note: Kind of frustrating that unless you get to 1850, your weapon HAS to come from PvE. I haven't had much luck with PvE weapons, despite being the top 2h-wielding DPSer in my guild.
Fedaykin98

Postby Selgar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:Other note: Kind of frustrating that unless you get to 1850, your weapon HAS to come from PvE. I haven't had much luck with PvE weapons, despite being the top 2h-wielding DPSer in my guild.

Yeah, I share your pain still boasting my lovely Death's Bite. Like 17 KT kills on heroic saw ONE Betrayer, rolled 94 and lost...
Selgar

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes