Remove Advertisements

[Ret - PvP] 2's Resto / Ret hit a brick wall and crumbled...

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret - PvP] 2's Resto / Ret hit a brick wall and crumbled...

Postby Maihes » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:05 pm

From the start we have had ~61% win rate after my team mate went Resto instead of banging head against a wall with him as Boomkin. Yesterday we peaked at ~1960 rating, but since then have had loss after loss, I (Ret) seem to be taking drastically more damage then I put out on the opposing healer or dps, and even when the DPS is on my Druid he seems to be getting hit harder then I can dish out.

Even in duels, he gets hit harder from Paladins that have less AP and less crit then I do he says.

Few different gear sets I have range from the following stats.
All stats unbuffed, not even self buffed. Also, all stats given with the 190 AP WG PvP trinket, I have the 2.07% Crit WG PvP trinket able to be swapped. Also come Monday will have both Death and Greatness cards to swap between for my second trinket.

• 651 Resil, 3678 AP, 132 Hit Rating, 28.24 Crit, 23264 Health
  • 608 Resil, 3702 AP, 180 Hit Rating, 27.11 Crit, 22604 Health
  • 520 Resil, 3688 AP, 89 Hit Rating, 30.68 Crit, 22464 Health
  • 427 Resil, 3714 AP, 137 Hit Rating, 29.55 Crit, 21804 Health <4 piece set bonus, no other "set" can get this atm>

I have tried using SoComm spec, SoB spec (which I much prefer) with proper glyphs for each spec. Glyphs and specs may be messy atm because I have dumped a decent chunk of gold on reglyphing and respeccing tonight to try and flush out flaws.

Everything is gemmed for Str, max AP enchants (barring gloves) Full Furious off set except for cloak (would have had it tonight...) and we do have Furious t1 weapons.

Ret Pally
Resto Druid Unbuffed out of form = 2304 Healing, 844 Resil, 130 mp5 when casting, 247 mp5 when not casting. Will be having him get Hit neck, Hit cloak, and gemming gloves and belt for the Spell Pen to cover those stats.

I just don't seem to consistently be able to kill healers or their DPS, even when switching to druid after he fully HoTs his DPS target, and vice versa etc.
This weeks arena 13 Win / 15 Loss, worse then we did when he was boomkin when we first started.

We are seriously at a loss on how Paladins "under geared" compared to what I run are doing more burst and over all damage then I do.

Add: Also, the only "PvE" gear I have access to is full 7.5 Ret, I have no other PvE pieces, and I do not raid anymore so that isn't an option >.<
Maihes

Re: [Ret - PvP] 2's Resto / Ret hit a brick wall and crumbled...

Postby bub64882 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 am

Your hit seems really really low. AFAIK, even in PVP, that is your best dps stat. Your AP and crit are fine, but you need more hit. Sub 200 is well below cap, so I would recommend swapping some of those strength gems to hit gems.

If your squishy, get to >800 resi.

Your higher rated than me, so take it w/ a grain of salt, and hopefully someone more experienced can weigh in. :)
bub64882

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 am

You need more hit. I'd be hesitant to arena with any less than 7% hit.

If youre having issues with killing targets, experiment with dropping resil for PvE gear, provided the PvE gear is high quality, not leather, and isnt devoid of stam.
Continue using SoB. Glyph Judgement, Salvation, Turn Evil/Divine Storm.
Try to hit targets from behind. Get the WG Platinum Disks of Battle trinket.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Elsie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:38 am

I'm going to go ahead and assume the comments about hit rating are jokes. You need 5% without question, but nothing over that is reliable. Ret paladins are extremely weak defensively. You will generally always be a better target for them than your teammate. I would suggest going with your first set up with 651 resilience - I use even more.

Your teammate should be peeling stuff off you. If they're on you, he can use entangling roots and cyclone and his offensive spells to his heart's content. Ret/Healer teams are not very good at a battle of attrition. If you end up in a really long game, the Healer/ DK-rogue-warrior will start winning the mana war generally.
Elsie

Postby Maihes » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Elsie wrote:I'm going to go ahead and assume the comments about hit rating are jokes. You need 5% without question, but nothing over that is reliable. Ret paladins are extremely weak defensively. You will generally always be a better target for them than your teammate. I would suggest going with your first set up with 651 resilience - I use even more.

Your teammate should be peeling stuff off you. If they're on you, he can use entangling roots and cyclone and his offensive spells to his heart's content. Ret/Healer teams are not very good at a battle of attrition. If you end up in a really long game, the Healer/ DK-rogue-warrior will start winning the mana war generally.

See that was something I noticed, he claimed other DPS / Heal teams did more damage then I did, but their Resto Druid / Shaman / Priest etc would also be DPSing, Holy Fire, Mind Blast, Wrath etc, he was even Insect Swarm spec but never seemed to have dots on either target.

I also prefered the first set up with the 651 Resil. Then again my partner also never called out when he was innervating so that I could lock down the Priest / Shaman to keep them from dispelling it.
Maihes

Postby Thaumatrope » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:48 pm

The comments about hit are confusing me too - I always aimed for 5% in pvp. Is adding more than that remotely comparable to adding STR?
Thaumatrope

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:32 pm

several classes has talents reducing your chance to hit them. Having your repentance or Hammer of Justice miss can very easily completely cost you the game.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Elsie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:35 pm

several classes has talents reducing your chance to hit them. Having your repentance or Hammer of Justice miss can very easily completely cost you the game.

Several being ret(spell/ranged), rogue (spell/ranged), and frost mage (melee/ranged). Blood elves also have 2% spell miss chance.

Oddly, I've never had my hammer of justice resisted due to this.
Elsie

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:18 am

I've missed with HoJ before. It's a real pooper.
Fedaykin98

Postby bub64882 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:16 pm

I had always aimed for 200 hit in PVP. I guess I've been doing it wrong. :)
bub64882

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes