Remove Advertisements

[Ret-PvP] Healing Partner for 2s

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret-PvP] Healing Partner for 2s

Postby Strykker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm

I am rather new to pvp as ret and I tried getting other info else where from arenajunkies but was not about to get much information out of there.

If I have my choice from any healers for 2v2, assuming similar skill and gear, which order should they be ranked in and why? I am guessing paladin is right at the bottom, but what about the other three?
Strykker

Re: [Ret-PvP] Healing Partner for 2s

Postby Bastien » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm not sure about the whole list, but I think druids and disc priests would be right at the top.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Angelarc6570 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Really comes down to play style, and who you have available to you. Even if you have a Priest/Rogue team, if you guys dont mesh well, then you probably wont get too far...

My personall preference, If i had a choice would be:

1. Disc Priest
2. Resto Shammy
3. Resto Druid
4. Ret pally
5. Holy pally (ok, holy pally would be 4, but they really dont do well together lol)

Most people would prefer a Resto Druid with the CC options, but I just love the tanking structure of Resto Shammies and Disc Priests :D
"Half my friendslist is made up of people I need to remember to hate"

Tier List! Supports!!

http://www.omgyumyum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686

SC2/LoL
Angelarc6570

Postby Fedaykin98 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 am

The conventional wisdom is definitely Disc Priest. Resto druids and shaman are both great right now, but I don't know which one makes a better partner. I've heard Holy Pallies are a bad choice, and the one time I've encountered Ret/Holy, we stomped them.
Fedaykin98

Postby Baelor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:46 am

Disc priest if you want a fear bomb and mana burn.

Resto druid if you want snares and cyclones.

Resto shaman if you want interrupts and totems.

Honestly, go with best player available and alter your strategy to accommodate.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Lore » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 am

Disc priest is best for 2's simply due to utility. Mana burn + Mass Dispel + fear fills in a lot of the gaps. Resto druid is also nice for cyclone and general unkillability. Resto shaman are kind of lackluster in PVP atm, especially paired with melee since you'll need to run out of range of totems.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Splug » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am

Disc/Ret is the safest overall route due to filling a large number of roles that retribution otherwise lacks: an aggressive dispel, a mana advantage, and a strong CC chain between fear, repentance, hoj, and mind control. Also, your team becomes extremely resilient against magic debuffs, which constitute most of the major threats in arena.

Rsham/Ret is a bit less conventional, but it does have a lot of similar advantages (hex and shock instead of fear/mc, aggressive dispel, poison/disease control to the level where you might actually take wound poison off). The major thing this composition does is counter a couple other high-representation teams. It handles druid/warrior and druid/deathknight very well; grounding totems and shock shut out druid CC, JoJ prevents travel form escape, and purging out targets makes it harder for the druid to reliably pre-hot for switches. Your Achilles' heel will be keeping the shaman alive through rogue teams, particularly rogue/mage or rogue/lock.

I haven't seen much Rdruid/Ret or Holydin/Ret. I don't see them complimenting retribution well, but of the two the druid would fare slightly better.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:54 am

Do you see Mind Control being used in Arena? I've never seen that happen.
Fedaykin98

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 am

Splug wrote:Disc/Ret is the safest overall route due to filling a large number of roles that retribution otherwise lacks: an aggressive dispel, a mana advantage, and a strong CC chain between fear, repentance, hoj, and mind control. Also, your team becomes extremely resilient against magic debuffs, which constitute most of the major threats in arena.

Rsham/Ret is a bit less conventional, but it does have a lot of similar advantages (hex and shock instead of fear/mc, aggressive dispel, poison/disease control to the level where you might actually take wound poison off). The major thing this composition does is counter a couple other high-representation teams. It handles druid/warrior and druid/deathknight very well; grounding totems and shock shut out druid CC, JoJ prevents travel form escape, and purging out targets makes it harder for the druid to reliably pre-hot for switches. Your Achilles' heel will be keeping the shaman alive through rogue teams, particularly rogue/mage or rogue/lock.

I haven't seen much Rdruid/Ret or Holydin/Ret. I don't see them complimenting retribution well, but of the two the druid would fare slightly better.

-Splug

I have been playing a great deal of arena this season in various twos comps and what Splug said above is mostly correct.

Ret/Disc is a very balanced comp, with a stable defense but good offensive capability. It allows the Ret to be very aggressive without being dependant on good survival instincts, and lets the ret get away with a lower standard of gear. Its probably the best comp for a player with little prior experience in arena to learn the ropes.

Ret/Shaman is easily the most offensive and agressive comp. The Shaman is capable of matching the defensive utility of the priest, but trades its control abilities and ability to mana burn for significant offensive burst and shocks to lock out a healer. As mentioned above, the most difficult team to face is a double-DPS team with a rogue, as you will be forced to control the rogue to win the match. Make sure to save your freedom to remove the kidney shot from your shaman, and use BoP, hand of Sac, and Divine Sac intelligently. Use Hand of Reckoning to get into combat instantly so that you cannot be sapped. Keeping Sacred Shield and cleanses on your shaman is vital. This comp annihilates warlock teams however, and is generally good at defeating other DPS/healer comps. Ret/Shaman is the bane of priest and druid healers to face.

Ret/Druid is the most defensive comp, and is actually incredibly powerful. I easily broke 2k with this comp at the very beginning of the season within a matter of days. The power of the comp is longevity. You are impossible to kill, played correctly, and will absolutely destroy mage/rogue teams, or pretty much any double dps comp. Your only real counter is Warrior/Druid. Dont be afraid to run away with this comp. Theres absolutely nothing forcing you to fight when its not on your terms. If things are looking grim, or the other team is popping cooldowns, blowing cc, or using heroism, just run away. Your team can last forever if it wants to. Pick your fights.

Ret/Holy is retarded.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 am

Are you playing in a low bracket?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Argali » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 am

I'd have to say definitely a disc priest. This is due to the fact that it's nearly impossible for a ret pally to kill a resto druid or shaman, and it all comes down to mana burn, and blessing of wisdom mana regen. Lack of mortal strike effect sucks.
Argali

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am

This is due to the fact that it's nearly impossible for a ret pally to kill a resto druid or shaman

If you think it's nearly impossible then youre not lining up your cc/interrupts/stuns/burst cooldowns well enough.
Even above the 2k rating bracket, where targets have significant resil, I kill druid and shaman healers far more often than I oom them.
Joanadark

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 pm

Joanadark wrote:

Are you playing in a low bracket?

Bigtime. ;)
Fedaykin98

Postby Splug » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Mind control is extremely effective for forcing interrupts. You may have to sacrifice your shadow school going on cooldown, but it allows for freecasting greater heal, which I understand is more efficient than flashspam. In the event that someone actually does permit the mind control cast rather than forfieting their interrupt... then your healer has successfully removed a player from the fight for 5-20 seconds, depending on map terrain (IE: dumping them off the bridge in blade's edge).

The tactic is extremely rare at low ratings, where there is not enough teammate defense or resilience gear to permit a long, slow mind control cast without the priest dying outright. You start seeing it around 2300.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Elsie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Mind control can 1-shot players in Orgrimmar Arena.
Elsie

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes