Remove Advertisements

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby discerpo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:47 pm

was kinda thinking about picking this up http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129#sold-by the on use seems pretty nice and i need the hit atm
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Maddok » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:05 pm

So Naxx[10] went pretty smooth, anybody have any hints or suggestions for an addon or something else to help manage a rotation (Frost Tank Specced incase it matters)?
Maddok

Postby Levantine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:44 am

No such thing as a rotation when you're tanking. Frost priority goes something along the lines of:

Frost Fever > Blood Plague > Blood Strike (Blood Runes only) > Frost Strike > Obliterate

So basically, keep your diseases up, keep your Blood runes as Death Runes, spam your hard hitting attacks as much as possible.
Levantine

Postby Maddok » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:59 am

Okay that makes sense (and looking at the wws is apparently close to what I was doing), thanks.
Maddok

Postby Maswin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it seemed like the obvious thread to start!

Long story short; I have a DK alt primarily for PVP and obviously protection paladin as a main and after reading a few things I got thinking, would it be worth me actively trying to gear up the DK so I could use him for specific hard mode encounters, or would it not really be worthwhile?

I only (progression) raid 10 man, and so far we have Freya, Mimiron & Vezax left to kill on hard mode so I'm not sure if it's going to make much of a difference or not. We're fairly determined when it comes to hard mode stuff - we had 2 or 3 people level their alts in order to down Sarth+3D (to give us better composition etc).

My current tanking gear on the DK is:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... tonymaswin

But if I bought everything I could with valor emblems I'd have:
http://bloodfeather-eu.warcrafter.net/Tonymaswin

Obviously that gear is not good enough for hard modes, but more trying to gear it so i can swap in to tank certain fights (razorscale, kolo etc)

My pala's gear can be seen in the signature.

Any advice from a knowledgeable person would be greatly appreciated!
Maswin

Postby Levantine » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:11 pm

Only one I can think of where it'd make any kind of difference at all is General, where the self healing from Blood is actually useful.
Levantine

Postby Falibard » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:03 am

It may be worthwhile to get the DK geared a bit. You certainly could do any of the Ulduar fights on your pally but using a DK tank will simplify things a bit for certain encounters (Vezax as an example).
Falibard

Postby Falibard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 am

Does anyone know if there's an addon that let's you know when WotN kicks in? I'm thinking of something similar to the Ardent Defender warning from the Tankadin mod. I've tried looking through the combat log before to find WotN "procs" but all I ever see are random absorbs which I attribute to it.
Falibard

Postby Levantine » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 pm

WotN doesn't absorb damage, it flat out reduces it. Afaik, any time you ever go below 35% hp you've just activated it (keeping in mind the internal cooldown).
Levantine

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:39 am

Levantine wrote:WotN doesn't absorb damage, it flat out reduces it. Afaik, any time you ever go below 35% hp you've just activated it (keeping in mind the internal cooldown).

Hmm... I remember going through a combat log a while back for a hard mode council attempt and seeing an absorb after I came back to life and before the disc priest put a shield on me. I just figured that was WotN.
Falibard

Postby Splug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 am

On the 3.1 PTR, it was listed as an absorb. I don't believe the mechanic has changed, so it probably still is.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:32 pm

Orly.

Can you tell I rarely if ever play Blood? (Which apparently makes me a joke of a tank, and retarded to boot, but lulz)
Levantine

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:03 pm

Splug wrote:On the 3.1 PTR, it was listed as an absorb. I don't believe the mechanic has changed, so it probably still is.

-Splug

I like your new avatar =P
Falibard

Postby Maswin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Cheers for the advice, I might try start gearing it a bit see how decent i can get the gear, we're probably not raiding much for a while so should have some time!
Maswin

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:57 am

Levantine wrote:Orly.

Can you tell I rarely if ever play Blood? (Which apparently makes me a joke of a tank, and retarded to boot, but lulz)

I think someone needs a hug.
Doogiehowser

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes