Remove Advertisements

[10] Hodir hard mode TPS?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Hodir hard mode TPS?

Postby Soldierxx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:56 pm

I was tanking 10 man hard mode Hodir and people kept on reaching me on threat. I was standing in the beams the whole time and I have no idea what i was doing wrong. I heared that a warrior is best for that for spell reflect?
Soldierxx

Re: Hodir 10 man hard mode TPS?

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 pm

Soldierxx wrote:I was tanking 10 man hard mode Hodir and people kept on reaching me on threat. I was standing in the beams the whole time and I have no idea what i was doing wrong. I heared that a warrior is best for that for spell reflect?

The beams won't do much for you afaik, they just increase your haste. You want the clouds. They're where it's at. Don't forget that you have HoSalv if you need it. Explain to your raid that whoever gets the first cloud needs to stand by you so you get its buff, then save wings for when they do. Keep up your TPS while he's casting Flash Freeze (if there's one near melee of him), and be sure you're sticking to a strict 969 rotation. Feel free to jump in his hitbox if melee have a cloud that they're not sharing if you still need more.

I haven't had any issues in Hodir10, but on Hodir25 it can get a little crazy trying to keep up on threat.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Soldierxx » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:41 pm

What are these cloud things?
Soldierxx

Postby Lolpaladins » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:17 am

He's referring to the the buff that the shaman npcs cast
Lolpaladins

Postby Panzerdin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:25 am

Also, you can let a ranged DPS aggro and then immediately taunt off them.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Pancakes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 am

What I do (for 25 anyway):

- Put on your best block / threat gear as well as FrR pieces (you can get better threat without, but death is kinda bad depending on how few healers you take)

- Substitute Avengers Shield and exorcism in for holy shield whenever possible (you can swap divine plea glyph for AS for this if you want to be hard core, exorcism glyph comes out behind judgment due to being on spell hit)

- Dont try and get buffs yourself but make sure melee are running the thunder buff to you whenever possible. (magic light beam haste increases your white damage only unless you use SoB for tanking, and you're likely to lose tps and melee dps running the boss to beams)

- Check omen whenever you run for flash freeze and Salv as required. (generally thats the only time i get in range of the casters, but its all dependant on where you're tanking it)

- Eventually good casters will probably catch you (unless your threat is awesome), always be ready to taunt, thats an huge threat bonus right there. (just make sure you let mages know not to panic and iceblock)
Pancakes - Unholy - Thaurissan - US
Pancakes

Postby Pancakes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:28 am

Also this thread should probably be in the Ulduar tanking section unless someone wants to work out how SoB threat + light beams compares to SoCr
Pancakes

Postby Worldie » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am

Just be ready to taunt off that mage doing 10k DPS and Salvation him right after.

Also, ignore Holy Shield, use threat moves on every GCD.
Wait until you got a cloud or when people are catching up before using AW, you can use it only once anyway.
Keep TPSing from range when Flash Freeze comes.
Salv as soon as possible on someone (your highest DPS) so you can use it again before the end.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: [10] Hodir hard mode TPS?

Postby Markoh » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:10 pm

My question is if you have the general libram would it still be better to skip holy shield?

I just do my normal rotation with wings to start out the fight, along with a md and the rogues tricksing when needed. As a general rule I don't ever get pulled off of unless its a mage who decides to stare at their numbers instead of omen. They will only come close to pulling on a string of crits, if they cool down for a second that will give you enough time to get back ahead with your normal rotation or sub in a quick exorcism/as to get a little burst.
Markoh

Postby Pancakes » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:35 pm

For this id just use the Libram of Obstruction tbh. (the libram itself actually gives off more threat so long as you can pull off the rotation flawlessly {and AS + exor subbed in makes it win by a billionty}, though it falls behind in mitigation making the vezax one better for most other situations.)

I'd also 'thoretically' prefer to save my wings for up to 30 seconds in in the hope of getting storm power and/or having glyphed AS off cd. (it maximises threat so long as you get a safe spot in melee range during the upcoming flash freeze)

As for mages, im quite happy for them to go absolutely nuts on dps so long as they dont die to falling crap as a result. (bad dps is bad) You also dont want them to slow down at all if possible, taunt / salv is your friend.
Pancakes

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:38 am

Worldie wrote:Just be ready to taunt off that mage doing 10k DPS and Salvation him right after.

Also, ignore Holy Shield, use threat moves on every GCD.
Wait until you got a cloud or when people are catching up before using AW, you can use it only once anyway.
Keep TPSing from range when Flash Freeze comes.
Salv as soon as possible on someone (your highest DPS) so you can use it again before the end.

For the most part the best advice so far.

Realistically speaking there's no way you can compete with people doing +11-12k TPS on this fight, you get a tiny bit of lead time on the rest of the raid, but the easiest way to keep threat is simply to admit you're going to lose threat to one of the ranged.

The cloud ........well, these days with the nerfed hardmode timer and more spammy buffs you can afford to take a cloud, but when I did it (2 minutes, less buffs spammed around), we did it with 1 healer, 1 tank, and basically perfect play, world 2nd on it being done that way and it always was a case of drag boss to beam, cloud -> heroism.
Heroism = Wings, it's not LOADS of extra threat, but it is extra threat, and it makes things slightly less dramatic.
The point is you have to be watching omen whilst doing your threat rotation on auto-pilot whilst still watching for crap falling on your head, your taunt has to be fast enough the boss can't turn around on anyone (read; the ranged might be in melee for buff reasons), so you have to know ahead of time (it's also useful to watch if/when your DPS come into melee for buffs, or to tell them to tell you well in advance what they're doing if you're not able to do that much at once).

the new time for hardmode is very pedestrian in comparison so it's not quite that extreme, and with the additional buffs there's a lot less a case of one or two people having +-160% threat generated over the entire fight time after their own threat management.
But yea, the most reliable way of making sure you keep threat is arranging your mind to taunt quickly if it's required and not be surprised or over-prided about the DPS abusing your threat, it's just the reality of the fight.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Kalakaua » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:46 pm

Get a good rogue with storm cloud + beacon to use tricks of the trade on you during heroism. The threat boost should provide a nice comfortable cushion to ride out the rest of the fight.
Kalakaua

Postby QuantumDelta » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Kalakaua wrote:Get a good rogue with storm cloud + beacon to use tricks of the trade on you during heroism. The threat boost should provide a nice comfortable cushion to ride out the rest of the fight.

Not enough vs an equally good warlock/lucky ele shammy/good balance druid/lucky/good spriest.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Seloei » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:06 am

Theres almost nothing you can do to any dps who breaks 11k. the only way to get around is to taunt him as soon as he reaches 120%+ and the moment he hits 130% and the boss turns towards him, you gain the threat and he sticks in spot. It might get risky if his in melee range, but you should know when and where most are.
Seloei

Postby Falibard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:55 pm

Seloei wrote:Theres almost nothing you can do to any dps who breaks 11k. the only way to get around is to taunt him as soon as he reaches 120%+ and the moment he hits 130% and the boss turns towards him, you gain the threat and he sticks in spot. It might get risky if his in melee range, but you should know when and where most are.

There are typically opportunities for you to position Hodir in a way so you can get the beacon as well as one for the melee behind him. If you land a few good hits while under the effects of the dps buffs you should be able to build a pretty good lead on your dps.
Falibard

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon