[Holy - PvE] When is Seal of Wisdom getting nerfed?

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Holy - PvE] When is Seal of Wisdom getting nerfed?

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 pm

So, lately I've been healing on my paladin about half the time. I'm still needed to tank most of the time, but I've done a full raid week as Holy and I've always been going Holy for our Hodir kills.

One thing I've noticed is that Seal of Wisdom is ridiculously overpowered on any fight the holy paladin can melee during. It's disgusting.

Just as an example, this is our last Hodir kill:

http://wws.thewin.org/sws-hodir-1244093487/index.html#healing

As you can see, I disgustingly out healed the other two healers (though they were alts, so their gear is a little low) and had a lot of overhealing. The overhealing doesn't really matter because I finished the fight at about 80% mana. How?

I got over 50k mana from Seal of Wisdom by meleeing the boss. Whenever I had the chance, I stood with melee and let my Judgements turn on autoattack. Just taking a few milliseconds between casts to move is enough to get a swing off and get back over 1k mana. I only used Divine Plea once because I didn't dip below 50% mana.

This is just disgusting.

They went through all that trouble to nerf mana regen and they didn't touch the largest source of regen holy paladins have.

The question is, when is it going to get nerf and why do I seem to be the only one saying this?
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Re: [Holy - PvE] When is Seal of Wisdom getting nerfed?

Postby Bastien » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 pm

SSSHHHH! It's the Holy Pally's secret! :P

I have had to heal for a long time and only relatively recently have gotten to start tanking again (which I much prefer). I've done this for a while. Any boss where I can get within melee range with reasonable safety, I do just because the random hits that get on the boss return so much mana.
ImageImage
Bastien

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:42 pm

So why is the Paladin blogosphere worried about Illumination getting nerfed and those discussions never mention SoW? SoW is more mana regeneration than Illumination, particularly since it scales with int stacking. And GC's comment was about Illumination and MP5. It never mentioned SoW.

Do most holy paladins just stand in the back and heal? Are they really that dull? No wonder they think holy is boring. :D
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby majiben » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:32 am

They worry about the illumination nerf because we aren't balanced around SoW use and any fight were we couldn't use SoW we would next to useless cripples of healers if we were balanced around it.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 pm

Majiben wrote:They worry about the illumination nerf because we aren't balanced around SoW use and any fight were we couldn't use SoW we would next to useless cripples of healers if we were balanced around it.

But that would be like making a tank that takes zero physical damage and still has fairly high magical damage mitigation. Then they're worried that they're going to nerf the magic mitigation because they aren't taking enough damage on mixed fights. They're still going to be the best tanks on all the physical-only fights, and yes they'll have problems with the magic damage fights now. Why not just nerf the physical portion so they're balanced on all fights?

So what I'm saying is SoW needs to be nerfed BEFORE Illumination because right now the numbers are horribly skewed.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Panzerdin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Why do you care about SoW when mana is meaningless anyway? Even if it isn't, then SoW is meaningless because you can't really use it in a hard mode, which is what Blizzard balance for.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby semp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:04 am

If you are finding that you are able to melee so much in a boss fight, you have to many healers to begin with. The only times I really took advantage of this was Heart phase on XT, and P3 mimiron on the trash to get full mana before P4 starts. If you can stand near a boss just leaving auto attack on, you can sometimes get a swing in between heals even when you are spam healing due to latency lag.
semp

Postby Bastien » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:59 am

semp wrote:If you are finding that you are able to melee so much in a boss fight, you have to many healers to begin with. The only times I really took advantage of this was Heart phase on XT, and P3 mimiron on the trash to get full mana before P4 starts. If you can stand near a boss just leaving auto attack on, you can sometimes get a swing in between heals even when you are spam healing due to latency lag.

This is what I was talking about. The boss that most easily comes to mind is Hodir. Follow the tank around with auto-attack on Hodir. Get a few whacks in while standing on the big-rune-frosty-pad (since they seem to usually drop at his feet) and you're back up on mana.
Bastien

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes