Remove Advertisements

Star Wars; Old Republic

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Star Wars; Old Republic

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:36 am

Culhag wrote:I don't think the "common jedi" is all that powerful.
Sure some Jedi masters are very powerful, but that's like saying (in wow) that DKs should be very powerful because Arthas is a DK.

If you're a jedi in the game it'll be a random no-name jedi that isn't much better than a skilled bounty hunter.

Remember Obi-Wan got owned by Jango Fett in ep2. ;)

*cough cough headchopped off by Mace Windu*

and Boba Fett got owned fairly easily but he did survive the sarlacc pit
Lightbeard

Postby Naturalhigh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 am

Sure some Jedi masters are very powerful, but that's like saying (in wow) that DKs should be very powerful because Arthas is a DK.

If you're a jedi in the game it'll be a random no-name jedi that isn't much better than a skilled bounty hunter.

Well the major problem i see is scaling. In SWG youd go initiate, padawan, knight, master and whatnot. So as a top level jedi, you'd be master. And imo, the way its been in most of the movies, master jedi pwn everything. I honestly hope they do the "hidden" stuff again, where nobody knows how to unlock jedi, nor for sure if its there. It just makes the game more interesting.
Yes, i do know everything. Just not all at once

Under court order, i hereby officially derail this thread:
And now for something completely different
Naturalhigh

Postby Arnock » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:13 am

but a 'common jedi' is still much more powerful than the 'common soldier'
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Jaydin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:38 am

yeah the biggest thing I had against SWG was that Darth Vader was supposed to have wiped out ALL jedi, save yoda and his own son (and daughter). That was it...sorta. A few got by here and there, by virtue of the galaxy being super hugely massive, but on all the real locations of major population they were all wiped out.

Then SWG comes along and...yeah. Apparently Darth Vader did a shitty job /facepalm. Allowing Jedi as a playable, selectable class off the bat was the breaking point of that game.

I have high hopes and expectations of TOR - and I'm not planning on having a Jedi/Sith. I enjoy the atmosphere of the star wars galaxy, and THATS what draws me in. I love being the "grunt," the average soldier/pilot/adventurer. My first star wars game was X-Wing, followed closely by Tie Fighter - those games really drew me in. I enjoyed Dark Forces 1 a bit more than I did 2 (when you realize you are of Jedi decent), although I enjoyed all of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series (I still call Jedi Knight 2 Dark Forces 3, despite them dropping the name).

What I would be curious is if they take an approach like Mass Effect and have hybrid-users => Force sensitive troopers and the like. Ideally speaking, in a sci fi reality, pure Force users are not all created equal...and each have their strengths. I'm a fan of Corran Horn and his family Force trait of lacking telekinetic abilities, but excelling in illusion/absorption abilities. I still get goosebumps reliving (in my mind) the scene of his grandfather absorbing the energy of the protruding saber in his chest and blasting his opponents to oblivion.

brb watching that cinematic for the umpteenth time again...
Jaydin

Postby Baelor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 am

I'm playing as a Jedi or I'm not playing. I don't care if I end up being a padawan for most of my game time, just as long as I get the telekinetic utility abilities and some skill with a blade. Gimme lightsaber.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Arnock » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 am

Then SWG comes along and...yeah. Apparently Darth Vader did a shitty job /facepalm. Allowing Jedi as a playable, selectable class off the bat was the breaking point of that game.

well, originally they got it right, and Jedi were ridiculously rare/hard to achieve

It got changed later though, and that's what murdered it

also, it would be pretty cool to have force sensitive soldiers, perhaps jedi padawans that never got trained by a master?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:49 am

I think Jedi need to accommodate real life a bit more. You can try to react to a laser beam travelling at the speed of light, but you'll fail every time. That would make my day.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Jaydin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:53 am

[starwarsgeek] blaster fire are not shooting "lasers" traveling at the speed of light. they are actually basically coherent explosions of gas channeled down through the barrel with varying colors dependent on frequency of the beam used to accelerate the explosion.

or something like that...its been a while. but they do not travel the speed of light.[/starwarsgeek]
Jaydin

Postby Duzzit » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:02 am

Ill have x1 Jedi, and x1 smuggler character >.>.

I hope though i get to become part of Republic Highcom, or preferabley CICINNER.(CommanderInChief Inner Colonies).
Send ships/fleets to systems i feel need em .

Duzzit

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 am

Jaydin wrote:[starwarsgeek] blaster fire are not shooting "lasers" traveling at the speed of light. they are actually basically coherent explosions of gas channeled down through the barrel with varying colors dependent on frequency of the beam used to accelerate the explosion.

or something like that...its been a while. but they do not travel the speed of light.[/starwarsgeek]

OK, so how does a lightsaber deflect it?

Oh, and why doesn't it diffuse at all?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Jaydin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 am

it appears that the plasma gas and light are combined in a coherent energy beam - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster
Jaydin

Postby Trav » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:00 am

The other part to that is, the Jedi aren't as much as reacting to the laser fire, as predicting it. The Force is guiding them to put the saber beam where the blaster fire will be, not guiding their reflexes based on what they see.
Trav

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Arnock wrote:Now that I think about it, having a Jedi playable in the start would make a LOT more sense in this game than in SWG.

IIRC SWG takes place during the original trilogy, when jedi were next to extinct except for a few (like kenobi and yoda) that escaped the purge, so having thousands of people running around as jedi in game would be really stupid.

where in the time where this new MMO is supposed to take place, jedi were more common, and larg scale jedi vs. sith were present

/starwarsnerd

The new game is set several hundread years after the events of the two Knights of the Old Republic game, still thousands of years before the events of The Phantom Menace.

The Rule of Two has not been instituted yet, and the Jedi/Sith are in a huge war. Both sides use armies of force users. The real gem though, is to find another one like Bastila Shan , with the Gift, Battle Meditation. Battle meditation was a manifestation of the Force which instilled in the meditator's allies a greater morale in battle while reducing the opposition's will to fight. Using the Force, one could coordinate entire fleets of ships, allowing them to perform at maximum efficiency, acting as one to counter every enemy move quickly and effectively. The comics for the new game have hinted at another with the Gift being found.

...or so I've heard....
honorshammer

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Trav wrote:The other part to that is, the Jedi aren't as much as reacting to the laser fire, as predicting it. The Force is guiding them to put the saber beam where the blaster fire will be, not guiding their reflexes based on what they see.

"A Jedi can feel the force flowing through him"

"You mean it controls your actions?"

"Partially, but it also obeys your command"
honorshammer

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Don't forget the hundreds of bobba fett name variations to come
Lightbeard

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games