Remove Advertisements

[Druid] Where are all the Bear Tanks, ya'll?!

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Druid] Where are all the Bear Tanks, ya'll?!

Postby Cuthbert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:07 am

Tag your thread, yo. -Baelor

Hey gang,

I've decided i wanna give Bear tanking a go, don't ask me why, i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the awesome new looking forms coming up on 3.2, NOTHING AT ALL, I SAY!

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone here is an experienced bear tank who'd be able to give me some beginner advice, and maybe direct me to some informative sites and such?

My druid is level 77 so far, with healing and boomkin gear only :(

I used to tank back in TBC with this bear, but a LOT had changed since then.....these days i don't see any bear tanks anymore and this saddens me greatly, are they really that bad?!

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help you might offer me.

Cheers,
Cuthbert

Re: [Druid] Where are all the Bear Tanks, ya'll?!

Postby Cuthbert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm

So, a little update...

I've gone around to look for some Druid Info, i found some stuff on Elitist Jerks and the official Druid forums,
but really, compared to other tanks sites, the info on Druid Tanking seems to be rather limited....or i'm just not looking the right places.

Anyway, i gotta ask : Are Bears still the tanks with the biggest health pool? i heard they got nerfed badly on that department.

p.s. : Cheers, Baelor , good lookin' out g :D
Cuthbert

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Yes, I believe that they still have the highest health and armor, just not by such ridiculous margins.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby mavfin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:25 pm

One of our MTs is a bear. He does just fine. Yes, he's not as far out on the numbers as he used to be, but he's still able to tank stuff just fine.

Player, not the class in 95% of fights, you know.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby Cuthbert » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:04 am

That is true,
But i can't help wonder why are there so little tank bears out there.
Cuthbert

Postby amh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:26 am

Because most of them are having fun topping dps-meters instead? :)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby sherck » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 am

amh wrote:Because most of them are having fun topping dps-meters instead? :)

Truth. Our Boomkins are doing VERY well on the DPS meters.

That said, one of our three best tanks is a Feral Druid and does just fine. I actually like healing him because my overhealing is much less since he actually dips down quite a bit of health prior to my heal hitting.

But, I see very little difference between him, the DK tank and the Tankadin that make up our primary tanking corps.

Raid does not complain at all about threat generation on any of them.

Give it a whirl. You can probably do a quick search on wowhead for quested leather items and find quite a few to shoot for in your last couple of levels prior to 80. I dont' know if a crafted leather set exists like the Tempered Saronite for all other tanking classes to easily get you ready for Heroics.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Boxy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:09 am

I'm leveling a druid too, its quite fun to play. I do intend to give tanking a try on it, as our raid runs 6 classes on the pally tokens (10 man) so i figure it will be easier to gear us up faster for better things if were not all rolling on the same loot. I'm also starting to think about gear choices as i get closer to 80 and im coming at a bit of a blank as to what to pick up. EJ has kinda failed me on this for tanking bears, its usually where i go to find out about class mechanics but its strangely lacking for this one.

I think its high Agi/Stam leather enchanting/socketing a mix of agi/stam until you reach about 40-50% dodge in bear form?
Boxy

Postby Doogiehowser » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 am

sherck wrote: I dont' know if a crafted leather set exists like the Tempered Saronite for all other tanking classes to easily get you ready for Heroics.

There is, it's called the Frost Resistance set with some insane amounts of stam and some gem slots.

Every site I've been to have had the "Polar" LWing items at or near the top of any list. Now, it's completely lacking in any kind of agility, expertise, hit, etc, but I guess people are still loving their bears to be "meat bags".

I admittedly don't know a lot about bear tanking but what I've been reading is showing it to favor agi, stam, hit, expertise, armor (not necessarily in that order). I have no clue as to how you pull, rotations, glyph, etc. (Then why did I write this post?)
Doogiehowser

Postby iwillpunishu » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 am

I've been tanking a little bit on my druid in ulduar since it opened, but mostly I kitty dps, and I have to say it is a blast. I'm usually at or near 5000 dps and I highly recommend it right now. I actually get pissed when I have to tank now. Finding good bear or cat info is very hard...

Unfortunately 2 of my 3 favorite bloggers have retired, but all of there stuff is still usable for right now.

http://teethandclaws.blogspot.com/

http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/

http://flyv.typepad.com/warcraft/

And the all druid site isnt bad either

http://thedailydruid.com/

A mod named badkitty is very good for cat and bear form also.
iwillpunishu

Postby DanimalEQ » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:52 am

DanimalEQ

Postby Vesper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 am

Frankly, I think bears are the best they've been in a long, long time -- Sunwell aside. It's sort of like reliving the Renaissance that happened for ferals leading up to TBC through patch 2.2(? my memory's a bit hazy). (Of course, this probably means we're due for some major nerfs in 3.2.)

My bear has become the go-to EH tank for the guild (especially after the poor DKs got nerfed this patch and, to quote my guild "are now taking hits like a warrior"). When Blizzard nerfed druid hp, they neglected to nerf the polar gear, which is a real saving grace. While I do not advocate using polar gear for all Ulduar tanking (nor do I prefer it -- I do enjoy having threat and avoidance) -- being able to top 50k health when needed simply makes our healers more comfortable. We tend to run with 4-6 healers in Ulduar, and our healers do not typically run out of mana, but we do run into occasional issues with tanks getting 2-shotted.

It's sort of ridiculous -- I even somehow managed to forget to uh, switch to bear spec from kitty this week when I was cotanking Kologarn, but mainly due to my health pool (I had put on a couple pieces of polar gear -- notably the belt, because my other tanking belt is horrible anyway), the healers had no trouble keeping me up. This little anecdote isn't to illustrate my prowess as a tank (because that was simply idiotic -- my only excuse is that both of my specs are 0/55/16 atm - no Vezaxx idol), but that bear tanks are honestly more than fine.

Kitty dps is also incredibly fun at the moment -- certainly the most challenging it's ever been. I don't like being told by a mod which move I need to use next (though I could probably use the help), but I do like knowing when my buffs/debuffs are up, so I favor the ClassTimer mod. I don't have a link atm because I'm at work -- it is in Lore's UI, though. Because most "bear" gear has gone by the wayside, it's pretty easy to remain competitive dps in your "tank" gear in the right spec/glyphs. (Though it's uh, hard to justify gemming for ArP on my tanking bp, so I've stuck with agi/sta. :( ) Another perk is that the rogues are so used to tossing ToT on me from tanking that I can often mooch it as a dps (though lately I've been reminding them they should use it on each other once the tank has a significant threat lead).

The swipe change to bear was also a godsend. While bears may not be the best ae tanks, with the addition of (buggy) savage defense, the ability to proc mongoose, and the changes to swipe, we're a LOT better off than we were in TBC. I still remember the horrors of heroic SH as a bear tank before I switched to my pally.

I'd post some links, but I'm at work, and iwillpunishu picked some very good ones. EJ and Rawr are of course great standbys (since Rawr was initially developed for ferals, I would argue its feral models are some of the most up-to-date and robust, with the exception of the disagreements between the different schools of thought on dps gemming and such). Toskk's models are another great resource.

Will try to post more later -- work is crazy!
Vesper

Postby Splug » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Vesper, what kind of numbers are you getting for armor/stamina nowadays in full defensive gear? I keep forgetting to check what our druid has in bear form, and I'm somewhat curious how wide the armor/stamina gap is (or if there even is one any more).

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Vesper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Splug, I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I only have ~5 pieces of 25-Ulduar gear atm, and some of my pieces favor a hybrid gemming of dps/tanking since I've been dpsing a lot lately.

Unbuffed I'm at 35k hp, 29k armor, and 41% dodge.

Fully raid buffed (flasked etc) in normal tank gear I think I sit around 47k hp, ~32k armor, and ~45-50% dodge. My savage defense rune proc is around ~1600, but not super reliable on uptime.

If I swap in some of my hp gear, I can get around 52k hp raid buffed (more if I bothered to fully gem for sta - I've been doing an agi/sta balance lately), but I sacrifice a lot of threat/avoidance, of course.

Darksend's blog will give you an idea of how silly druid hp can get still with sta gear and our 3 min cd going. ;p
Vesper

Postby Falibard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 am

I clicked the link for that blog. It would seem people are displeased with NE kitty skins.
Falibard

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes