Remove Advertisements

[DK] The DK Tanking thread

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [DK] The DK Tanking thread

Postby discerpo » Thu May 28, 2009 12:17 pm

i saw a pretty good idea posted on the MMO-Champs site. Have frost presence scale with def similarto how IBF does.

one question about how much of any given hit is taken by your block. i know there are other factors like BV but how close does it stack up to our new blade barrier?
Discerpo-Unholy/Blood Troll DK
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Falibard » Thu May 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Discerpo wrote:i saw a pretty good idea posted on the MMO-Champs site. Have frost presence scale with def similarto how IBF does.

one question about how much of any given hit is taken by your block. i know there are other factors like BV but how close does it stack up to our new blade barrier?

Wouldn't something like that encourage people to stack defense for ridiculous mitigation and avoidance? /shrug.

Blade Barrier is 5% damage reduction against every attack whereas BV is static physical damage reduction which is why it is pretty awesome against weak hitting bosses and trash mobs (full blocks are win) but that static 1200 BV gets kind of lost against say a 22k hit.

I went on kind of a tangent, but it's easier to think of BB as part of a DK's flat damage reduction and comparable to a paladin's glyphed Divine Plea.
Falibard

Postby discerpo » Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm

stacking def can be solved by giving the benefit it gives to frost presence DR after 540 ish, or just cap it at 540
Horde-Gorefiend

Vindicated wrote: The hell? this is the internet, where I've been over 18 since I was 12.
discerpo

Postby Splug » Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Discerpo wrote:i saw a pretty good idea posted on the MMO-Champs site. Have frost presence scale with def similarto how IBF does.
That solution fixes the wrong problem. There's already a post by Ghostcrawler stating this is a pve nerf with an acceptable pvp consequence; a defense scaling mechanic would fit the reverse case. It's also needed, and my initial quick calculation says death knights will still have more armor than paladins in equivalent gear.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby discerpo » Thu May 28, 2009 1:08 pm

i will admit this is my first tank so please forgive some of my ignorance but dosnt that extra armor make up for the lack of block?
Horde-Gorefiend

discerpo

Postby Falibard » Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 pm

If I had a dollar for every time Splug posted while I was typing... :P
Falibard

Postby Splug » Thu May 28, 2009 1:12 pm

Discerpo wrote:i will admit this is my first tank so please forgive some of my ignorance but dosnt that extra armor make up for the lack of block?
Somewhere between having more health, avoidance, cooldowns, armor, and death strike, block was made up for, and then overkilled. EDIT: Actually, avoidance is pretty close in low-BV gear. But at that point, you're talking about a fairly minor quantity blocked and still a health/cooldown/armor/regeneration deficit. The deathknight still has a minor armor advantage, just not as extreme. The other factors compensate for not having block.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Falibard » Thu May 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Discerpo wrote:i will admit this is my first tank so please forgive some of my ignorance but dosnt that extra armor make up for the lack of block?

Yes. Kinda.

Easy Numbers: DK gets 65% DR from armor Pally get 62% (I think currently the armor gap is a little bigger than this, but this should be about the gap we'll see after the Frost Presence change)

On a 20k hit:
DK gets hit for 7000
Pally gets hit for 7600

On a 80k hit:
DK gets hit for 28000
Pally gets hit for 30400

Shield users get the edge on the lower end hit, high armor gets the edge of the big hitter.
Falibard

Postby Palmela » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm

So I'm planning on making my DK a tank, recently hit 80 did enough dailies for the tempered crap. I honestly believe it's crap also but the def rating is needed. Anyways, I've heard the best spec is blood, which I plan to go, wanted to get a spec/glyph/rotation from you guys as I can't find anything on EJ on blood tanking.
Thanks all.
Palmela

Postby Maddok » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 am

Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread as we don't have a fulltime tank DK (we have a DPS DK w/ an okay set of tank gear but that doesn't count) and I'm being asked to MT Naxx[10] on my alt this week.
Maddok

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:20 am

Palmela wrote:So I'm planning on making my DK a tank, recently hit 80 did enough dailies for the tempered crap. I honestly believe it's crap also but the def rating is needed. Anyways, I've heard the best spec is blood, which I plan to go, wanted to get a spec/glyph/rotation from you guys as I can't find anything on EJ on blood tanking.
Thanks all.

Blood is kinda awesome with its abilities to keep you alive...however, it's not a good starter spec. The vast majority of your damage is physical (75% + as Blood) so it requires you to be at or near hit/exp cap to be effective. The EH makes Blood appealing but start out with Frost or Unholy. I'd say go with the spec that provides a buff your group can use. (Frost = melee haste, Unholy = 13% spell damage)

Edit: Also check out deathknight.info. You should be able to find plenty of info about the various specs and rotations.
Falibard

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 am

Anyone else having an issue with too much hit on Ulduar gear? The Ignis boots dropped for me last night and now I'm at 299 hit in my tank gear = /
Falibard

Postby discerpo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 am

Falibard wrote:Anyone else having an issue with too much hit on Ulduar gear? The Ignis boots dropped for me last night and now I'm at 299 hit in my tank gear = /

amg i cant wait to get better drops my hit is kinda suck atm. i got t8 pants but cant wear them yet cus of the hit i lose. we had a storm edge drop for a half guild half another guild run but this crap tastic warrior that had hatefull 2h roll and won... the raid leader was former our guild newer to that guild so he didnt want to mess up relations in that guild... but whatever... nah im not sore about it...at all...

lol, anyway, yea i need a few more pieces of hit gear
Horde-Gorefiend

discerpo

Postby Splug » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:56 am

Falibard wrote:Anyone else having an issue with too much hit on Ulduar gear? The Ignis boots dropped for me last night and now I'm at 299 hit in my tank gear = /
I believe I'm still at 7% hit, so it hasn't been an issue here.

-Splug
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 am

Splug wrote:
I believe I'm still at 7% hit, so it hasn't been an issue here.

-Splug

Guess I'll get Boundless Ambition out of the bank. I'll need the expertise to get back to cap, I just don't like the idea of giving up 43 dodge for a gain of 2 stam and 300 armor. Oh well, if I get t8 shoulders this week it won't be an issue.
Falibard

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes