Remove Advertisements

[Ret] Random thoughts on utility

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

[Ret] Random thoughts on utility

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:57 am

So I'm probably terribad for never having done this before, but recently I've been making a lot of macros to help with things other than maximizing my own DPS, and I just thought I'd mention them here. I guess I haven't needed them up to this point, but attempting hard modes and certain encounters has made me aware that I could help more than I have. Actually, it all started with making macros to help my partner in 2v2 Arena. Along those lines, my macros almost all target a specific person, and I go in before the encounter and put that person's name in them. Possibly there's a better way to do this, as I discuss below.

Hand of Sacrifice (on the tank) - we sometimes use this for Mimiron's Plasma Burst. It was suggested that I bubble through this too, so I've never tried just taking my share of the damage and seeing what happens. This macro is also super useful in general - used it frequently on XT hardmode last night when things looked dicey.

Lay on Hands (on the tank) - this one is so obvious I'm kind of sad I never had it before. Usually, I use LoH as a get myself out of trouble free card, but if I can save a wipe with it...I might change this macro to where it target's the boss's target. Actually, maybe I should change the HoSac one to that as well. That would be better for two-tank encounters, and work pretty much the same way it does now on single-tank encounters. Anyone know the syntax for targeting my target's target? (Say that three times fast.)

Divine Sacrifice - not a macro, but I finally shelled out the cash to respec into this last night. Depending on what kind of danger the raid is in, I can pop this immediately (because I'm afraid someone is going to die momentarily) and then bubble, or if the damage is about to come predictably, I can bubble and then pop this. I tried popping this with bubble on cooldown last night, but all the damage (Tympanic Tantrum) ate through my healthbar twice (used LoH on myself) with ease. I was trying to save a wipe, and I did keep anyone from dying but myself, but we wiped anyway. Looks like if the situation is dire enough to pop DS, it's for sure going to kill you if you don't have bubble available.

Hand of Salvation - another obvious one. A warlock in a U25 PUG asked for this (ok, demanded it) this weekend. And he needed it. He would call out in a panicky voice on Vent when he wanted it, which was pretty entertaining. I suppose this one has to stay with the formula of targeting a specific person, because Salv is best used *before* threat is pulled. In other news regarding not being terribad, I recently started salving myself on every pull, unless I'm planning on using this macro on someone else. Yes, I have been a lazy retlol until now.

Any suggestions? Any macros you find invaluable? Again, anyone know how to target the boss's target (I used to know this, when I was a tank, and before they fixed our original taunt). Perhaps I should get a BoP my target's target macro too, which I used to use in those days - useful when someone pulls threat, or would have been useful last night on XT Hard when sparks were killing people.
Fedaykin98

Re: [Ret] Random thoughts on utility

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:19 am

cast something on the boss's target (assuming you have the boss targeted, the macro is:

/cast [target=targettarget] Spell of Uber

Generally you only want to cast it the boss is targeting one of your allies, for the following:

/cast [target=targettarget, help] Spell of Uber

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 am

Dorvan wrote:cast something on the boss's target (assuming you have the boss targeted, the macro is:

/cast [target=targettarget] Spell of Uber

Generally you only want to cast it the boss is targeting one of your allies, for the following:

/cast [target=targettarget, help] Spell of Uber

Spell of Uber sounds awesome. What level do you train that? =P
Falibard

Postby Baelor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

I have Divine Sacrifice bound to a cast sequence macro with my Divine Shield - I never use DSac without DShield up. Press once for DShield, second time for DSac. I don't remember the syntax, I can post it tonight if people want it. I'm pretty sure I stole it from one of Ferraro's guides though.

Everything else you mentioned I have bound to mouseover macros. If I need quick and easy access to someone specific, I put them on focus and have my focus frame in a good spot. If it's a tank I need to get and they're not my focus, I go to my oRA2 tank frames and mouseover their frame there.

Keeping things as mouseover macros makes things more modular and adaptive.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Selgar » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:47 am

I use a kevin bacon macro for my sacred shield with a modifier. You could adapt this to Salv, and Sacrifice easily.

/cast [tarrget=targettarget] Sacred Shield; [mod:shift, target=player] Sacred shield

This will cast SS on your target's target (generally the main tank), and if you hold down the shift key cast it on yourself.

The macro for Divine sacrifice is

/stopcasting
/castsequence reset=12 Divine Shield, Divine Sacrifice

Some people prefer using mouseover macro's I find since I dont actually move my mouse that much that coding using modifiers is easier for me.
Selgar

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes