[10] XT Hardmode (Heartbreaker)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] XT Hardmode (Heartbreaker)

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:34 am

Got him to 15% last night. Any tips? Life Sparks seemed to do us in. We only had two ranged.

At first, we tried to just have the ranged burn them down, but they didn't die fast enough. Then I started kiting them while the ranged killed them, which worked fairly well, but turned into a full-time job, and I'm one of our higher DPSers. Then we tried having someone else kiting them.

Strats? Ideas? Clearly, it would be somewhat easier with more ranged, but that wasn't an option this week - my guild tends to be melee-heavy and a lot of our best DPSers are melee.
Fedaykin98

Re: [10] XT Hardmode (Heartbreaker)

Postby Serelynn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:53 am

When ranged is hit by Light Bomb, they run towards XT, not hitting people on the way and let the add spawn near the boss for the tank to taunt. When the add spawns, if it's in melee on 10 man it will be destroyed easily. That's what we ended up doing and it was a non-issue.
Last edited by Serelynn on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serelynn

Postby Rhazi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 am

Serelynn wrote:When ranged is hit by Light Bomb, they run to XT (not hitting people on the way) and let it damage the boss. Set up a safe spot for Light Bombs to run to, and when the add spawns, if it's in melee on 10 man it will be destroyed easily by them. That's what we ended up doing and it was a non-issue.

Man, I need to get out more...never knew that lightbombs damaged XT >.< My guild just constructed a 10 man composition that got the acheivement for killing him in 3 minutes, but hardmode stuffed us.
Rhazi

Postby amh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 am

Are you using one tank? That's what we do, and for us it works great on 10man.

If I remember correctly, the life-sparks have about 40k health on 10man. It should definitely be doable with two ranged, but it requires them to react quicker. It's painfully obvious to see when one or more of your ranged haven't started attacking an add yet, since their health-bars are supposed to take a proper plunge.

The sparks themselves melee for something like 5k on cloth (I had to tank a few), so don't worry about them running lose. The important part is that they need to be popped within taunt-range of your tank. On normal-mode we've been doing light -> right, gravity left. That made is natural to do the same here.

- Melee light-bomb: right leg. It's out of range of the rest of the melee (which are stacked on the left leg), so whoever gets it can continue to dps while waiting for the pop.
- Melee gravity-bomb: run left to a safe distance, but not out of range of heals. As you probably noticed, you're going to get quite a few of them during the fight, and the dark stuff on the ground lingers for a bit. That means that you need it lay it down in an orderly fashion - think Grobbulus.

- Ranged light-bomb: run front right within taunt-range of the tank.
- Ranged gravity-bomb: as melee

Ideally you want it to spawn, get hit by a few ranged hits/spells, then taunted. Blowing the taunt right away requires a bit more dps from the ranged, because it will get back to you as soon as the fixate wears off. If you start dps and then taunt, it takes a few more thousand damage to pull it off the tank.

A typical spark for us would pop, aggro toward ranged, get taunted, just about reach XT's right foot, then turn around toward ranged between the ranged stack and the boss.

Now for what seemed to be your issue - lack of dps on the sparks. The sparks really don't hit hard. As long as your healers are aware of who's going to get hit, there's nothing wrong with assigning a melee dps to dps / tank it. Just make sure that whoever is doing it is doing it on the side assigned for sparks (for us: right), so you don't cause unneeded aoe on the melee stack.

Works wonders for ranged (or just tab furiously):
Code: Select all
/tar Life

- or do as Serelynn said, let the lazy-arse melee handle it!
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:18 am

When we did this last week we had a Mage, a Shadow priest for range and that was it. We used two tanks, myself on the Boss and a DK grabbing adds and sparks. The DK and the Shadow Priest were able to kill the sparks between them, with some assistance at the end from the mage. It looks like the sparks were standing in the incidental aoe coming from our ret paladin as well. If you have issues getting them down fast enough, probably drag them to the melee and have them killed there quickly. We lost our DK about 20 seconds before we killed XT and had to deal with 2 sparks with out a tank on them whatsoever - it didn't seem like they hit terribly hard.
Corpsicle

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 am

Here are some important things I didn't see mentioned:

1. Life Sparks can crit non-tanks. I've seen a clothie crit for 14k+.
2. It is crucial that nobody other than a tank is hit by a Life Spark during tantrum. It's already very straining on the healers, so and extra (I think they hit for ~7k on non-tanks) damage can easily kill raid members.

I just made the following macro:
Code: Select all
/cleartarget
/tar Life
/cast Hand of Reckoning
/cast Exorcism

It helps a LOT to have this macro keybound because you need to be SPAMMING it as someone is about to drop a Life Spark if it's during a Tantrum. Without this, you strongly risk the spark dropper (especially if it's a healer) getting melee'd by the spark just after it spawns. It helps with the pickup otherwise, though, so it's still worth using.

By the time sparks become an issue, you probably have a pretty large threat lead on the boss, so feel free to switch your personal DPS to the spark. The faster it goes down, the faster your ranged is back on the boss. Don't fret if they pull aggro, though, because it should be dead by the time it reaches them.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Falibard » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:43 am

My group used 1 tank and I switched to my dps spec and tanked them. I think we just a hunter, lock and unholy dk (me) on them and they dropped really fast. Having them only cause damage to one person simplifies the healing quite a bit.
Falibard

Postby Belloc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:06 am

Definitely solo-tank this fight. Also, I'm not sure that light bombs damage the boss. I know that the bomb bots should, but I've never seen evidence that the light bombs do. I'll have to check on Friday.

The way we do this:

Add spawns, tank taunts it. Our hunter (or any single ranged dps) attacks it and pulls aggro. Tank taunts it before it reaches the ranged player. Ranged player finishes the add off and repeats the process.

If one player can't kill it by themselves (before the next one spawns), you're going to run into issues. If two players can't kill it, you aren't ready for the achievement.

Other tips: Light bomb on a healer during a tantrum? BoP them! Prevents them from dying to tantrum damage.
Belloc

Postby Fedaykin98 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:01 am

I'd like to know what make-up people are using.

We were 1 tank/2 heals (priest and druid)/7 DPS (2 ranged [more would be nice], 3 melee, 2 melee [dual-specs of 2nd tank and 3rd healer])

On the attempt where we got him to 15%, I essentially became the spark tank (even though I'm Ret) and I didn't get many opportunities to DPS XT. We could have the 2nd tank be a spark tank, but I'm not sure if we can kill the heart like that.

Healing was a bit tight during tantrums with two healers.

I guess we could try having the tank taunt and having him and the ranged burn the spark while the melee stay far enough away not to get hit? We can also try scheduling more ranged DPS for XT, but a disproportionate number of our top DPSers are melee.

Open to all ideas! Oh, and when we finally gave up on hard mode after a zillion tries, we did the speed kill with ease.
Fedaykin98

Postby Corpsicle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 am

We did this with 2 tanks, 2 heals, 6 dps. Tanks- Paladin, DK. Heals - Holy Priest, Druid. DPS - Shadow Priest, Mage (arcane I think), Ret Paladin, Enhancement Shaman, Rogue, Cat druid. Our shadow priest did group healing during tantrum. I got hit by the spark debuff, but it seemed that Sacred Shield self buffed mostly cancelled out the added damage.

Would a link to the wowmeteronline report help? I can look around for a log if so.
Corpsicle

Postby Aubade » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 am

So i went in the night it got nerfed having done no research and 1 shot this boss.

Strat:

2 tanks 2 healers 6 DPS (in retrospect when we do it again i'm going to either tank boss or go ret.)

Boss tank did nothing but tank boss, we had 0 melee.

Assigned a hunter and a mage to help kill sparks and Assault bot.

Kill the heart, with life spark happened that person ran back where i taunted the spark mage and hunter bombed it and went back on boss, keeping the Gravity bombs in the back left.

To be honest we had NO CLUE what we were doing in here but we just went with it and 1 shot the boss with 1 and a half minutes left on the timer O.o. Overall it's the easiest hard-mode we've done so far.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Belloc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:I'd like to know what make-up people are using.

We were 1 tank/2 heals (priest and druid)/7 DPS (2 ranged [more would be nice], 3 melee, 2 melee [dual-specs of 2nd tank and 3rd healer])

On the attempt where we got him to 15%, I essentially became the spark tank (even though I'm Ret) and I didn't get many opportunities to DPS XT. We could have the 2nd tank be a spark tank, but I'm not sure if we can kill the heart like that.

Healing was a bit tight during tantrums with two healers.

I guess we could try having the tank taunt and having him and the ranged burn the spark while the melee stay far enough away not to get hit? We can also try scheduling more ranged DPS for XT, but a disproportionate number of our top DPSers are melee.

Open to all ideas! Oh, and when we finally gave up on hard mode after a zillion tries, we did the speed kill with ease.

One tank (paladin), two healers (we've used both priest/druid and priest/paladin), 7 dps (hunter, mage, balance druid, feral druid, warrior, ret paladin, warlock... but anything will work as long as you have a good ranged player).

Fight starts (tanked in the middle so that adds will reach him faster), kill the heart (without heroism), MD the pummelers to the tank, if possible. Tank holds them while the raid kills them. The ranged finishes off any bomb bots and only kills scrap bots after the pummelers are dead.

Hard mode phase: Light bomb spawns within taunt range of the tank (solo tank, remember). Hunter switches to the spark add immediately and starts DPSing it. Tank taunts (hand of reckoning) the spark. Spark fixates on the tank for a few seconds and then starts heading back to the hunter. When the spark is halfway to the hunter, the tank taunts it again (righteous defense). The add dies before the next add spawns.

If you have ranged killing adds, you should never need to tank them. Doing so is a loss in DPS and an increase in healing. The adds will never get off a melee attack if you do it this way. Sparks, however, do have a damage aura that cannot be avoided. Everyone will be taking 800 damage per tick for every spark that is up. Just have a high DPS ranged take them down quickly (before another one spawns) so that everyone else can DPS the boss. If your individual dps is low, you can have another ranged helping out with a few attacks on each spark, but you really want to avoid that.
Belloc

Postby Sober » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah, I one-shot this last night and only our RL knew what to do.

2 tanks, me and a DK, 3 melee, 3 ranged, 2 healers.

I tanked the boss, DK grabbed the sparks (yeah I know). We grouped up behind the boss in 2 camps, melee and ranged stack up in their respective groups. Light bombs go to their right, gravity to their left (unless they get chained, etc.)to drop it off then run back in. The DK tanked the sparks and we had a hunter and ele shammy blow it away. Void zones get dumped off to the left side (or back if you can't reach it in time). JoL and MW'd chain heals from our enhance shammy helped with tantrums.

If the tank gets Light Bomb, you just stand still (melee should be far enough behind to not get hit). Add tank just taunts it over to the side and has it DPS'd down.

Wasn't too difficult, though we beat it with maybe 45s left on enrage.
Sober

Postby Serelynn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Bah. Looking through WWS, it doesn't appear Searing Light does damage to XT. Modifying my previous post.
Serelynn

Postby Joanadark » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:33 pm

Man, I need to get out more...never knew that lightbombs damaged XT >.<

99% sure that they do not.
The reason why its showing up in your damage meter is because the damage you do to your fellow PLAYERS is logged.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon