Remove Advertisements

Trash in Alar's room

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Trash in Alar's room

Postby kaisaa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:53 am

So last night was our first trip to TK to see if we could down Voidreaver. We got to the pulls with the two falconers and there 5 or 6 birdies. Our raid leaders solution to this was to have a tank each on the falconer the remaining two tanks on one bird each and sheeping/sleeping each of the other birds.

I have read here that I can AOE tank all the birds, but I am new to the guild and our raid leader is a warrior with little confidence in pally tanks so I wanted to read up on it somemore before suggesting it.

Is my gear viable for AOE tanking all the birds, and is it hard to do? I was thinking I would drop a concecrate in the doorway when the MT pulls the falconers and then back up against a wall and hope for the best. Is there a better strategy for this. I am just looking for ways to be useful and speed up the trash clear because it took us A LONG time to get to voidreaver.

This is the gear I was rolling with last night, trying to max spell damage for tanking Voidy. I did not have the flask on during the trash but I did have a wizard oil on.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=kaisaa
Last edited by kaisaa on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaisaa

Postby Tiandelin » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:13 am

Looks fine to me. I always just slap on my block set for them, but more out of habit than anything else. You shouldn't have any trouble holding them with that much spell damage.

A few things to note, however:

1) Have a priest or paladin spam dispel/cleanse on you. The birds silence, so you need that removed. Without block gear, you might take some decent damage, so have a couple healers on you just to be safe. Spam consecrate and holy shield keys.

2) Drop a consecrate in the doorway and hit holy shield before they reach you. Take a few steps into one of the corners beside the doorway, with all the casters at the other end of the hall. If you tank them in a corner, you won't have as many issues with them tossing you around. You might get thrown around initially, however. Just reposition yourself into the corner again.

3) Your dps is going to have to wait a few seconds to engage them. If you have a mage run up and dragon's breath + blast wave them as they first pile onto you, that mage is going to die. Same for a warlock who spams SoC the instant they come into range. If they are completely incapable of controlling themselves, have them kill one of the falconers first, THEN open up on the birds.

AoEing the birds makes those two pulls much quicker and far less annoying, provided that your AoE classes are mindful of aggro concerns.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Plankeye » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 am

The strats Tiandelin mentions are what we use too and it makes AOE Tanking the birds a breeze. I even bring my sporeagar shield and force reactive disk just for this occasion as they still generate threat for me even through the silences.
[url=http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stonemaul&n=Sandric][img]http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Stonemaul/195264.jpg[/img][/url]
Plankeye

Postby Rainge » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:36 pm

When describing what the person doing the dispelling/cleansing needs to do, it helps to use the phrase, "if it doesn't sound like you're doing a drumroll on your cleanse button, you aren't pressing it fast enough". Otherwise, they're likely to raid heal and dispels get secondary priority.
Rainge

Postby Invisusira » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:39 pm

We basically pull them down the hall, line the hall with traps and mages, and kill whatever's left at the end. The birds are aoe tankable, but they spam silence and randomly dart thru the group and knock everyone around. The falconeers honestly don't need tanks, I've done them both with and without.
Invisusira

Return to Tempest Keep